Sprocket swap

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
I really wanted to just go 43 on the rear and not mess with the front. However, if I get the 42t steel from Busabrother would a 16 on the front be too much? Not too concerned with top end but would still like to be able to hit 175. With an otherwise stock 03', is this going to make 1st gear more unmanagable then it already is? I'm mostly a twisties rider, not a drag racer. Thoughts?

I put together a Speed calulator in an Excel Spreadsheet.  I've PM'd Cap, and I haven't heard back yet (I know he's pretty busy). And the best part, It's FREE!

The possibilities are almost endless.  You can calc new gearing at any RPM you desire from 0 to "whatever you want".  Change gearing and tire size.  It retains the stock settings so you can see the difference.

I don't use ANY macros.  I do ALL of the math in the cells.  I think it works pretty well.

I would like to get it posted to the board for other users, but I don't have a local board to host from.  Can someone help me get this posted so everybody on the baord can use it?

Please PM or email me if you can help, or if your interested. I would prefer to have a link setup so I'm not bombarded if it proves to be useful.
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105827486 -->

It will NOT be unmanageable assuming you are aware that it will greatly increase it's likelihood to lift the front.

My buddy runs 16/42 on his Turbo bike (6" over)... I run 16/40 on mine (stock wheelbase)...

If your not drag racing why change from stock. The Busa has plenty of power if your cornering in the proper gears (running mid 5000 to high 7000 RPMs).???

Unless your in NV i dont think you guys will ever hit 175. Well i know at least not around here bout 160 then the road turns.:;):

you'll go flying past him because your Busa has longer legs.  
come on man were driving busas not honda civics.  Thats some loser ricer crap fly buy after hes finished pounding your as
If these were Civics the only place they'd be flying (at those speeds) is off the road.  I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.  Just have fun!

beerchug.gif
tru dat

I've punched the #'s into the gearing calculator, I'd like to go 17 / 44. Does anyone know of the # of chain links to make this work on a stock wheelbase?
Thanks, Ed

I'm running 16/42 and love it. You need throttle control in first because it is a handful. I am running about 5" extended on mine and that helped. Start with 1 down and see if you like it. You may find that you wont need to change the back

I am running 16/42 on stock wheelbase, but lowered. It will still want to come up in first, but nothing not managable.

Hey can u guys tell me where to get some lowering bushings? I dont want to spend the 150 bucks on a part when a 25 dollar part will do the same. I got the links for the rear 3 inches and i would like the same in the front

thanks for the info... at $20 I think I'll try just going 42 on the rear first. It may be enough throttle response, may not need to go to the 16 up front on a stock wheelbase and height. Just looking for a little more acceleration in the upper four gears without totally ruining first and second. Cheap price to find out. As far as the chain, if you keep the stock 112 links, a 43t rear sprocket will shorten your wheelbase by 3/8". If you go the other way, 16t on the front, it lengthens wheelbase by 3/8". Either way, there is suppossedly enough adjustment room to use stock length chain. I'll let you all know the results in a few days....

TruWrecks, thanks for the e-mail, calculator works great. Looks like I'm going to loose about 9 mph with a 42t rear, can handle that for the increased accl in 3-6. That thing should be pinned at the top....moderator? The 16/42 really changes things, may be too wild for this rider w/ stock wb.....

Back