Sprocket Questions

DrBoom

Donating Member
Registered
For one what is the stock tooth count?

What would be some opinions on tooth ratios.

Thinking 16/42

And when I was looking on vortex's site, what would be the purpose of a 72 tooth rear sprocket?( I dont thind anyone is out stunting busa's are they?)

i was reading that with the 16/42 that top speed is about 180. Which is fine with me. I've hit 176 on buddy's gps and that was enough for me, don't have the wish for any faster, plus the highways around here (MT) aren't that great anyway, some good twistie canyons though. I'm still thinking 16/42 is what I want.

(DrBoom @ Sep. 07 2006,22:43) i was reading that with the 16/42 that top speed is about 180. Which is fine with me.  I've hit 176 on buddy's gps and that was enough for me, don't have the wish for any faster, plus the highways around here (MT) aren't that great anyway, some good twistie canyons though.  I'm still thinking 16/42 is what I want.
Not sure, but I think it's more like 170 with 16/42
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Sep. 08 2006,00:46)
(DrBoom @ Sep. 07 2006,22:43) i was reading that with the 16/42 that top speed is about 180. Which is fine with me.  I've hit 176 on buddy's gps and that was enough for me, don't have the wish for any faster, plus the highways around here (MT) aren't that great anyway, some good twistie canyons though.  I'm still thinking 16/42 is what I want.
Not sure, but I think it's more like 170 with 16/42  
wink.gif
i got 174mph gps with my 16/42 combo
wink.gif

wink.gif

16/42 here love it. around here i can never get over 100 but i get there real fast

(DrBoom @ Sep. 08 2006,01:15) anyone doing the 17/42 setup?
I’ve ran 17/40 16/40 16/42 17/42 on the street and at the strip. Stock arm with a pipe, stock air box, tuned and I weigh 230. At the strip the 17/40 put me on the rev limiter at the lights in 3rd gear @138mph. The 16/40 put me in 4th gear but not high enough in the rpm range. The 16/42 is quite a bit closer, (not sure of the rpm can’t think to look). I’m going to try a 16/43 at the strip next.

On the street I’m now running the 17/42. I’m happy with it, but I was happy with the 17/40. There is a bit more pull with the 42 for a bit more throttle response. I was not happy with the 16/40 or 16/42. It was too “buzy†for me at highway speeds and I was always wanting to shift to 7th.

The Busa makes so much torque down low, it really does not make that much difference jacking with the sprockets on the street. You’ll just have to try a bit and see what works for you.

Running 17/42 myself. Can't say that I notice too much difference on the street but first gear seems to disappear very quickly with it.

i am running a 16/43 and love it, as stated before, never hit top end, just know that i have hit 155 with plenty of throttle left (was running out of road)

so would a 17/43 be the same as a 16/42 combo? [/Quote]
I think it would be close but the 16/42 would would be a little bit more aggressive.
To bad,you could have rode my 17/43 on the run on Monday and see if you liked it.....

I'm running 17/42, HMF duals and the HMF map off the Power Commander site, and I don't need any more bike
smile.gif
. I have to say, in a not very scientific test of a TRE, I've run down the same stretch of road several times and with the TRE, the front powers up about 6" towards the top of first gear, without, it only popped up a little once, and I think it was more of an imperfection in the road. Again, this is not scientific so I don't want to start another TRE debate LOL. I know, "what's a TRE?"  
laugh.gif

Back