Sprocket mount question

roadripper

Registered
Hello all new to the forum. I have a question about the rear sprocket, just removed the rear wheel to install a new tire. As soon as I pulled the rim out of the swingarm the sprocket fell out of the wheel. Now I know there is rubber mounts inside the wheel for the sprocket to fit in but they look to be in fine shape to me. Mounted the tire and put it back on the bike but if you hold the wheel the sprocket seems to move real easy on the wheel. Only about 1/16 of an inch or so, doesn't seem right to me Bike has 6000 miles its an 06. Thanks to all replies.

A little play is alright. I got about 35K out of my '06 and went with the heavy duty ones from Smith Busa. You really shouldn't need to replace them at 6K unless you're on your seventh or eighth tire :laugh:

1/16th of play is fine. Like DO3 said, you shouldn't need new ones yet, unless you are drag racing or doing burnouts. When you do need new ones get them from Smithbusa. His prices are very reasonable for what you get.

I guess I like mine tighter than you guys.
I don't want any play, as if you are hard on gas and brakes it feels loose.
Just me.

Third tire but when you hold the wheel the spocket moves without the wheel moving a noticeable amount. When I had the wheel off the rubber did not look like they were worn. Does the sprocket fall off easily when the wheel is removed, is this normal?

Third tire but when you hold the wheel the spocket moves without the wheel moving a noticeable amount. When I had the wheel off the rubber did not look like they were worn. Does the sprocket fall off easily when the wheel is removed, is this normal?

Yes with the stock rubbers.
The aftermarket ones seem tighter and last longer.
Mine was a tough job to get in when the rubbers were new.

Back