Sprocket Hub/ Cush Drive Damage To Swingarm

Terryzrx1200

Registered
While taking off the extension blocks fitted to my GenII 08 Busa that I just purchased I noticed that the swingarm had been gorged by one of the rear sprocket holder bolts. It looks as if the one that was making the contact was out more then the others. Not sur if it was ever changed in the past but they all are close to the swingarm, and the sprocket hub seems as if it dosen't seat flush to the wheel. there is about 1/16th of an inch gap between them. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe something to do with bearing or other damage. I already purchased a replacment swingarm from a 2009. I'm going to try and post pictures of the damage. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/img_1194-jpg.386695/

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/img_1194-jpg.386696/

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/img_1195-jpg.386697/

Last edited by a moderator:
Those sprocket bolts shouldnt be anywhere near the side of the swingarm. Something is missing or very wrong with the setup you have. All the spacers are OEM correct? Were the bolts replaced inside the hub? There should not be any space between the hub and the wheel,it should sit flush. Cush drive rubbers too big? Get some more pictures posted so we can all see exactly whats going on....

I'll take some more pictures when I get home. Can someone please post a picture of there swingarm sprocket bolt clearence, and of the sprocket drum mounted to the wheel. Thanks

Ill go take pics of mine for you. Photobucket is currently down for service . will post them as soon as site is back up

Last edited:
found this picture on the sight. this is how my wheel looks after pushing the sprocket drum onto the wheel. I have the red cush rubbers also. Is that space normal? It seems the bearing that fits between them stops it from going in further.

picture.jpg

DSCF3705 (Medium).JPG

Your sprocket carrier is sticking out from the hub,you should 100% not be able to see the red cush drive rubbers. They are either the wrong ones or the rubber prong on the back side is not pushed into the hole in the hub which holds them in place. You should have minimum 1/4"-3/8" clearance between the sprocket bolts and the side of the swingarm. I suggest taking the hub apart and see whats going on inside.

IMG_6479.JPG

Regardless of how well the sprocket assembly is seated in the hub, there's a spacer that keeps the sprocket off the swingarm I believe. It's the shiny bit in his pic between the swingarm and sprocket

I installed heavy duty blah blah blah cush drive rubbers in mine a few or so years ago, and had to stand on the sprocket to press it in completely, had there been a 1/16th inch rubbers showing it would have probably been wrong but there would have been enough room to assemble the rear of the bike. I'm pretty sure that spacer that likes to fall out when I change tires was missing in this situation or some other issue prevented it from doing it's job. I don't know how this wasn't discovered when the wheel was installed before all the damage happened. That's just me, no expert here.

Well did a lot this weekend. Installed a new swinarm from a 09, new chain and sprockets, new rear braided brake line, and replaced fork seals.

Back