Sprocket for my Rocket...

Jake918

Road Warrior
Registered
I've never really been too much of a "weelie master," but now that I've recently got the hang of ridin' "2nd gear weelies",(50-80mph) I have been addicted to 'em since! Call me greedy, but I want more...I've heard aftermarket sprockets do just that. I'm sure some of you guys have had this sudden need for speed, and have upgraded to bigger sprockets for a lil more "bite". I'm just curious how big of a diffrence you can feel, and any tips on Brands/Sizes, or any other info I might need before buying would be awesome.

Be careful out there. The Busa is a heavy beast and you'll be replacing fork seals soon.

Do a search on the internet for " gear calculator" from memory. I went down a couple teeth for top end, but the bike just couldn't motor the calculated 205. I found out quick that it takes a little more than a gear change :laugh:

The 1/4 milers should be helpful to ya.

I'm not just looking for low-end tourqe, but a quicker "pop" on a wheelie...(I'll grow outta it someday:)). and what's the average life of fork seals for slightly agressive more riding,(this is new to me), and how will you know when they need replaced?

I'm not a wheelie man, but of course very few that own a Busa haven't had the front tire lift :laugh:

I just twist my wrist at 4K and my Gen I came up with ease. It was completely stock.

Never blew a fork seal but I imagine you'll notice fork oil running down the tube.

hmm thanks for that info, I would never have looked. I never could ride a wheelie on a bicycle, or even my cr-250 dirtbike back when I raced MX, I just accepted that I was just meant to always stay on 2 wheels... so the LAST thing I wanted to try and master a wheelie on was my new GenII baby, but after a few weeks of little 1st gear power wheelie "up & downs", I finally got the balls/stupidity :withstupid: to pop the clutch, and learn how to ride a longer, and faster wheelie. And to my surprise, it came freak-ishly natural and smooth after a short while. and now that I'm pretty comfortable with the bikes already ridiculous power, I want just a lil more "git-up"...go figure. ??? I hope this "power-happy high" is just a first-time busa-owner phase, but it's been a growing sickness since I pulled off the showroom floor.... way TOO fun haha

Last edited:
I don't do it, but I've heard the guys that do use the rear brake to help control the bike, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.

thats just the thing... Hate to admit, but this is my first bike. I rode my buddy's 600 Katana here and there back in high school, and after over-coming GREAT fear, My neighbor talked me into ridin' his new busa around the block for like one minute, that soon turned into me fillin his tank once a week for little thirty minute cruises.I fell in love... And against every "first bike" lecture, and all the "organ donar" jokes, I Bought my own Busa... 2500 miles stong.

only buy steel sprockets!!! aluminum sprockets don't last... +3 in the rear :thumbsup:

BILD0135.jpg

I went up two on the rear and wish I would have went three up! Can still do power wheelie in third with some off/on throttle and just a tad bit of pull. You will be doing a 100 or more when she comes up in third. Be very careful!

not much of a fan of aluminum sprockets myself... Stealth Tri-metal for me.. but kind of $$

+3 in the rear is as far as you can go on stock chain..

I dragrace my 08 and I am -2 up front and +4 on the rear. Every once in a while it will pop the front up. It will usually only go a few inches but sometimes it will go a foot or more. I have ridden them out and while the front is up I will bang 2nd and it sets it down and just takes off. I am a BIGG guy(in full race gear i am 390lbs), and I tried a 50t rear sprocket and could not keep the front down from launch untill i was in 3rd gear the front would not stay down. Needless to say I went back to the 47t and all was good.

not much of a fan of aluminum sprockets myself... Stealth Tri-metal for me.. but kind of $$

+3 in the rear is as far as you can go on stock chain..

Yeah I agree with that any more than +3 you will need a longer chain.
With the 47t i am using a 130 link chain, but I am also extended about 6 inches.

Mr.Bogus where are ya getting those tri metal spockets from? I havnt found any1 that has larger sprockets in steel, most only do aluminum.

Wheelies are fun and addictive. But also an easy way to loose your driving priviledges.'

I'd suggest a 43T rear as well. It's as big as you can go without adding links to the chain and it makes the machine work less to get the wheel up.

I would however, suggest you use first gear until you master the illusive wheelie. It's easier on your bike, gives the best compression in case you get to high and if you happen to have one of those unsuspected getoffs, you'll be happy you were in first gear going a bit slower!

Enjoy the ride! :beerchug:

Wheelies are fun and addictive. But also an easy way to loose your driving priviledges.'

I'd suggest a 43T rear as well. It's as big as you can go without adding links to the chain and it makes the machine work less to get the wheel up.

I would however, suggest you use first gear until you master the illusive wheelie. It's easier on your bike, gives the best compression in case you get to high and if you happen to have one of those unsuspected getoffs, you'll be happy you were in first gear going a bit slower!

46T on the 09!:poke:

All respect due bro, but he should not be in first gear doing a wheelie...at least not for safety sake. Especially with popping the clutch. Its been my experience that 1st gear is ultra aggressive with just 43t. 2nd gives you that elusive control and comes up slower.

Back