Sprocket changes?

Fastkebo

Registered
My buddy is thinking of changing his front and rear sprocket at the same time and I was wandering what was to much. He said that he was going to put a 16 on the front and a 42 on the rear. 04 busa. Is this dangerous? Will the bike be faster? Or is it going to be HELL to keep the front wheel down? Replies greatly appreciated.

16/42 is pretty common on the Busa. Faster acceleration and easier wheelies. The trade off is lower top speed and less gas mileage.

I'd rather go the other way... I really do not need to top speed, just want high MPG.

What is a good rear with the front still stock? 44 or 38?

When my chain needs to be replaced, I'm going 18/40.  Better MPG and less vibration on the long hauls.  I can always downshift to a lower gear, but I can upshift into seventh.  I know, I try it all the time.

If you are trying to go the other way, that would be close to 17/38 setup.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: "One of these days I'll learn to type."|1146267847 -->

what is he trying to do. a lot of the people that i ride with run 15/38-39 just have to make sure you keep the chain lubed and adjusted properly. if you let it get extremely loose it will ride on top of the swing arm. if you slide the wheel all the way to the back then 15/39. if the wheel is in the center to front of the arm 15/38. this is with a stock arm though and it will still wheelie fairly easily and gas mileage shouldnt be a factor with a busa. if your worry about gas i have a few 600 in the shop and a 500 ninja that the owner wants me to sell for them.

what is he trying to do. a lot of the people that i ride with run 15/38-39 just have to make sure you keep the chain lubed and adjusted properly. if you let it get extremely loose it will ride on top of the swing arm. if you slide the wheel all the way to the back then 15/39. if the wheel is in the center to front of the arm 15/38. this is with a stock arm though and it will still wheelie fairly easily and gas mileage shouldnt be a factor with a busa. if your worry about gas i have a few 600 in the shop and a 500 ninja that the owner wants me to sell for them.
15-38? holy cow! I have 15-40 and the bike is almost constantly on the back wheel thru the first 4 gears. I couldn't imagine what 15-38 would do. I was worried about chain and sprocket wear with the 15 in the front. After a season of hard riding last year the chain and sprockets showed hardly any wear at all. I think 15-38 is kinda pushing your luck.

i think you should leave it stock 17 f 43 rear whats the big deal thats the way bike was designed why screw it up!

My buddy is thinking of changing his front and rear sprocket at the same time and I was wandering what was to much. He said that he was going to put a 16 on the front and a 42 on the rear. 04 busa. Is this dangerous? Will the bike be faster? Or is it going to be HELL to keep the front wheel down? Replies greatly appreciated.

I run 16:42 on my '06. Keeping the front wheel down is up to the rider...

His bike will be appreciably faster but he'll lose about 30km/h from the top end, IIRC. Also, the fuel economy goes to hell. I get about 25mpg!

It's totally worth it, though.:thumbsup:

I use 17/46. This is effectively the same as 16/43. Of course I am a big guy at 290lbs suited but works good for my 175lb friend. I'm also up at 5300' altitude.

In the qtr. I barely make it through 4th gear revving at 11,000rpm and my shift light is set at 10,200rpm. Limiter set at 11,200rpm with ECU Editor.

Back