sprocket change

Steve R

Registered
Thanks for all the great info guys..I"d like to change to a 42 rear sprocket..Does anyone know if I'll have to add links?? I'm showing 1 1/2 marks left on the adjustment..about 3/4 to 7/8" of threads on the bolts.

Are you changing the sprocket because you need to, or do you just want to change the gearing? Reason I ask, is that to add links before you change the chain, you'll have to add at least one master link....

MC, I only have 600 miles on the bike, but its just not enough for me, and since I lowered it I almost have to fight to get it to stand up, I thought 2 teeth would work without upseting things to much.

Well, with 2 teeth, I am thinking you would need 114 links instead of the stock 112, but I am not sure. I have stock gearing on Bessie. Seems like a lot of people go -1 on the front and +1 on the rear, but I think that leaves stock length as good...
rock.gif

yeah, I'll let you know, All I want is a little more power wheelie with out having to let off for fear of looping, and dont want any buzzing at hwy speeds.

(StreetnTrack @ Sep. 13 2006,10:12) you can add a 42 tooth sprocket without adding links to the chain.
Yes, I did it, no problem. It shortens the wheelbase a tad, about 3/8".

For 17/42 and 17/43 gearing, there's absolutely no need to lengthen the stock 112-link chain. I've used almost every sprocket combo a non-turboed engine can use. Yes, I confess. I am a sprock-a-holic.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using 19/43 gearing (3.815% taller than stock) which does require 2 additional links be installed making my chain 114-links. My engine is using higher compression JE pistons and Web .378"/.330" cams, so I can make good use of the taller than stock gearing.

I've even gone as high as 18/43 gearing with a stock length chain however, it doesn't quite give all the free chain slack that it should unless your chain has already stretched a bit. Up to 17/43 gearing is easily usable and fully adjustable for proper chain slack.

(Quasar @ Sep. 16 2006,18:42) I'm currently using 19/43 gearing (3.815% taller than stock) which does require 2 additional links be installed making my chain 114-links. My engine is using higher compression JE pistons and Web .378"/.330" cams, so I can make good use of the taller than stock gearing.
does a 19 tooth bolt on ?

(chevelle @ Sep. 16 2006,19:48)
(Quasar @ Sep. 16 2006,18:42) I'm currently using 19/43 gearing (3.815% taller than stock) which does require 2 additional links be installed making my chain 114-links. My engine is using higher compression JE pistons and Web .378"/.330" cams, so I can make good use of the taller than stock gearing.
does a 19 tooth bolt on ?
A 19-tooth bolts on no different than a 17 or 18-tooth sprocket and requires no cover modification. Just keep in mind that you will likely need to add 2 additional links to your chain depending upon what rear sprocket you use. You can use 19/41 gearing with a stock length chain but that's rather tall gearing (8.289% taller than stock), so unless you have motor work or have installed a turbo, you'd need to also increase your rear sprocket a bit to reduce the tall gearing. Hence, the need to add 2 additional links to the chain.

For those interested:

19/40 is 10.526% taller than stock gearing
19/41 is 8.289% taller than stock gearing
19/42 is 6.052% taller than stock gearing
19/43 is 3.815% taller than stock gearing
19/44 is 1.579% taller than stock gearing
19/45 is .657% shorter than stock gearing

19/41 thru 1944 gearing all works with a chain that is 2 links longer than stock on a stock arm.

The larger sprockets are definitely easier on the chain and sprockets and add to chain and sprocket longevity. I'm definitely getting extended chain life with the larger sprockets. I have nearly 16,000 miles on my D.I.D. X-ring chain and there are no signs of ANY kinked links.

thanks for the info quasar,i was getting much less stretch with 18-43 v 17-40 (nitrous,street bike)

new arm on the way, i was going to start with 18-43/44,may go with 19-45/46 to spread the load out even more

now that i have your ear,have you worked your fueling magic on other brands ?

Back