Sprocket and Chain Life 2 1/2 seasons only?

Rocketman

Registered
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted. So it's nice to be back online reading your experiences and escapades. Lots of new faces...

I bought a set of steel JT sprockets and a drag chain from some local shop here in the SLC area. 16t/43t + RK Drag Chain. (Was interested in 1/4 mile but never did it.)

I put maybe - 5K miles on this set up. I have been commuting this season maybe 45 miles per day. Got to work a few weeks ago and noticed the chain looked like some baby's droopy diaper. Loose and low... And my axle block was still at about 5 ticks.

Took it home and adjusted up out to 2 ticks - which as you know - is very close to max adjustment on a stock swing arm.

Now - the front sprocket is noisy and the chain is already loose after 2 weeks. I'm going to take the cover off and see what's going on. But I thought steel sprockets would last. This chain is a non-o or x ring chain... Like I said - drag chain. But I took the wheel off and did a visual inspection all the way around the chain and it looks perfect. Watching the rear sprocket turn from the back - it looks warped.

I've hardly romped on this set up. (Put it on to get some low end for drags after my Yosh/PCIII/AirBox Mods. Just never went to the track... bad year)

I have 26k miles on my buse... Still lovin' it since I bought it new.

In my research - I'm considering SuperSprox and RK X-Ring Chain. I've seen AFAM as well. I'm on a tight budget still trying to get back on top of things after 2 years of business losses. So - DID, Renthal, and top of the line stuff - too expensive.

I'm going back to a 17t front and 42t rear setup. Would be interested in your opinions about what happened with my setup and about what to buy as replacements.

Thanks!

Shawn

Wonder if its just to many of the wrong type of miles on the drag chain? Its designed for 1/4 up and back, so 5k miles is 10,000 passes. Im no expert, but that makes sense to me.

As for new, ive heard great things about super sprox, and im runiing an Ek zzz chain and love it. Better to spend a bit more now, rather than alot later to replace thing again:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Non 0-ring.....is why it wore out so fast.. A good X-ring chain should last at least 15 K
without having to adjust it. No matter how hard you ride.

Yup, it's the non o-ring chain. To get them to last at all you'd need to lube it every 50 miles or so. Like, in the morning before you leave for work, and again in the evening before you head home.
I've dealt with non o-ring chains on dirt bikes, they are like snowballs in h*** compared to an o-ring. A 30hp dirt bike can take out a 520 standard chain in less than 300 miles unless you are meticulous with your maintainence, then it'll last maybe 500 miles.
New sprockets and an O or X ring chain, lube it once in a while (I lube my OEM chain when I think of it, maybe every 1000-1500 miles, almost 18,000 miles on it, still in good shape), you'll be good for several years.

Thanks Guys. I ordered the SuperSprox. I'll get the X-ring chain Wednesday. So - is there any danger in riding the bike this week (commuting) with the chain stretching so fast? Will it actually break?

I doubt the chain will break(although anythings possible) but if you think the rear sprocket looks warped, and you don't know what's causing the front sprocket noise(possible badly worn or broken tooth/teeth) it seems more likely to throw the chain.
I don't think you'll have any problems riding it a little longer, but then again, if you have new ones ordered, why take chances. You'de hate for something to happen to cause more money to fix, or worse yet, an accident.

OK - had the cover off the front. Sprocket looks fine. So - the chain is just over used... :-) this week - I should have the new sprox and chain!! Woo Hoo!!

Guys - thanks for the advice and help! Love this org....

BTW - I think taking the front cover off is easy work. Less painful to me than taking off the back tire. And wow - did I have to clean out a bunch of junk there by the front sprock. Dirt and oil built up in piles...

Re-Oiled the chain and put it all back together in about 10 mins. (minus the fairing.)

Thanks guys!! My wife feels better hearing your advices...:beerchug:

Back