Springtime - battery time; lessons on sources

spotrot

Registered
Because some Busa’s are coming out of hibernation about now, I thought this info might be useful.

Last week, I killed my ’04 factory Yuasa YT12A-BS battery with kindness, sorta. I connected a small charger but forgot about it until the next day. By then it was steaming, taking 3 amps and basically cooked. :banghead:(On the battery it says to charge at 1.2 amps for 5-10 hours)

Looking for a Yuasa YT12A-BS replacement turned up this locally:

Barneys (St. Pete) $99
Cycle Gear did not offer Yuasa;
Powersports $139 (List is $109 I believe)
(Wal-mart did not list a battery for the Gen1 Hayabusa but did offer a brand of AGM battery for the Gen 2 for about $65.)

To get the above batteries, I’d have to drive about an hour total and add 7% sales tax.

On the web I found Tristatebattery which offered a YT12A-BS for $65 and free shipping for a ‘Powersport’ branded battery “by Yuasa.†I ordered one and it arrived in a few days.

My factory battery said “Made in Japan†and the Powersport battery said “Made in Taiwan†but the acid pack and instructions were branded with Yuasa. Installing the acid was clean, easy and neat with the smart new pre-measured system. The Powersport is an AGM battery and is the same dimensions as the Yuasa.

My guess is that it probably is made by Yuasa, and I’m hoping it is as good as the one made in Japan.

And I’ll now only use a BatteryTender ($28 on ebay) on my motorcycle batteries.

P.S. A fully charged battery should read about 12.5 to 12.8 volts (let it sit for two hours before measuring voltage if it has just been charged).

Those are good test but a true load test on a battery is the only good to go test. So crank it and ride and thanks for the information.

Sorry about the battery, but if it was the factory battery on an '04 you got the good out of it anyway.

Dadofthree:

Agree and Agree.

A high voltage reading does not prove the battery is good (has good capacity).

I just checked the old battery and it read 13.09 while the new one read 13.01v. However, under a load test, the old battery showed significantly less power than the new battery.

And now I'm not sure that 12.5v is an accurate number for a fully charged AGM battery. Some sources say an AGM battery's voltage is higher (one said 12.8-12.9v) than a standard lead-acid battery.

Back