spray paint gun?

I have done some painting. Cars, bikes ect. Develbiss used to be the best but I bought a Sato mini gun recently, HVLP, that puts the DEVELBISS to shame. There are a couple of other Japonese brands that are as good or better. Before getting the SATO HVLP just did not work for me on color coats and clearcoats. I just could not get the atomization I needed for really nice finishes. These new guns work great. No overspray and very fine atomization. A little more money but worth it. Hope this helps. TWE

15 to 20 years ago develbiss was king, not anymore sata ranks up there now as one of the best, not not saying a develbiss would not work for you, they were king for a reason for so many years. in all honesty you can not go wrong with a good develbiss or binks , its all in how much you want to put into a gun.

I have a good automotive HVLP gun, with 3 tips, one for clear, paint, and primer. If your interested, I would make you a deal. I used it one time to paint my mustang a few years ago. I purchased it at an automotive paint store for 250.00. But Like I said, I would make you a deal.

This is just my opinion so take it as you may. If you're not an experienced painter the gun won't make a huge difference. A good painter can paint good with almost any gun given some time to practice and get it set up right. A bad painter won't get a good paint job even with the best gun. It takes practice and some time using whatever gun you get to figure it out. If you plan on just one job don't spend a ton on a gun but if you plan on using it for a while spend more. Most automotive stores that sell paint will have some quality guns at reasonable prices.

This is just my opinion so take it as you may. If you're not an experienced painter the gun won't make a huge difference. A good painter can paint good with almost any gun given some time to practice and get it set up right. A bad painter won't get a good paint job even with the best gun. It takes practice and some time using whatever gun you get to figure it out. If you plan on just one job don't spend a ton on a gun but if you plan on using it for a while spend more. Most automotive stores that sell paint will have some quality guns at reasonable prices.

True.......I used my gun once. Dont plan to use it again.

you haven't painted in many years.. get a cheap gun.. a sharpe is very good for around a 100.00 dont go overboard on a sata.. you will more than likely paint better with a cheaper gun.. why is that? take the sata minjet 4 very fine atomization, wider fan, puts out more material in an effiecent way. this can make you move quicker than you would with a cheaper gun, so if your moving quicker your mistakes will happen much sooner.. when you get good at painting step up to a better gun.. I layed some nice paint jobs down with cheaper guns.. you really dont need to spend the extra money unless you intend to take this more serious..
you plan on bike painting use a mini gun.. with 1.0 tip..
I use 3 guns, one for primer, one for base and one for clear.. 2 are sharpe finex, and the gun I use for clear is a sata minijet4..
I also use the devebliss, full size gun for when I do cars.. it's a good gun.. but like any gun, if it's in the right hands you will lay down a good job.. but then you have take into consideration what paint line will you use, what clear has good flow out and vertical hold... thought I would throw a wrench into it:whistle:

I have craftsman I bought just because it was on sale and I was single... I have yet to use it but I think it was only around 100... Aww the single days!

I picked up a husky hvlp at home depot and I'm pretty pleased with it will throw a nice gloss on the doors i have been painting and did a decent job on the trailer i did. I'm sure its way more capable than i am :laugh: It was around 80 bucks

you can get away with the cheap Gravity Feed Spray Guns that harbor freight sells on small stuff like a motorcycle .they just dont last.

dont buy harbor freight paint guns. the machining is just not there inside the critical sections of the gun.

ive been using a sharpe T1 for a long time, i have a devilbiss gti that i got recently (was like 400 bones, seems to be middle of the road for cost) and i really like it.

if youre doing one job, youre going to end up not really saving much money over having a shop do it. if youre in it for the experience/fun knock your socks off! it can be addicting, and it can be frustrating.

i, again, would NEVER buy a used gun if i couldnt inspect it first. todays finishes cure too fast and get too hard, if the gun is not cleaned out properly right after use, its usually not saveable, or worth saving. ive got a standard gun and a detail gun that are knockoffs, i paid $150 for them in a blow molded box. no complaints at all, just dont use em. ill sell them for $50 plus shipping, if you find them to be junk because of abuse or anything, ill take em back.

dont buy harbor freight paint guns. the machining is just not there inside the critical sections of the gun.

I am a long way from being a painter, do some air brushing though.

Anyway, I did paint a couple things recently, jet ski, etc.

Ordered acrylic enamel paint off Ebay. Already had quite a few paint guns stocked up. I use them for painting interior walls, polyurithane the porch, etc, etc, but do not consider this real painting...

My point is, I would not buy myself an expensive paint gun to use since I know little about painting and less about cleaning the guns. I am interested in learning, but until then I buy the $14 sale paint guns from Harbor Freight.

While they do a decent job (jet ski turned out great, and even did some metallic in it) if it doesn't work but once I really don't care. I'll spend another $14.

Once I get better and learn more, I'll invest in a more expensive gun.

Kinda like learning on a cheap 250 cc before getting your Busa right? LoL

Back