Sportec M1 Update

Big O

Physicist Genii
Donating Member
Registered
I got the Metzler Sportech M1s put on my bike and a few people asked how they last, so I'm posting to say that for me, the rear lasted 5k miles. They stick great in the twisties, but I wore 'em down the middle to the wear bars. I don't do wheelies or burnouts either.

Anybody else have these tires and how long are they lasting for you?

I only got 2900 miles out of my rear and I could see the steel chord. I don't do wheelies or burnouts either, but I do a lot of fast takeoffs and a few high speed runs.

I dont wheelie (very often) or do burnouts (don't need to impress people on my dime) but have a problem. My stock tires were down to the wear bars in about 1600 miles. Thats with some fast takeoffs and a very few high speed runs. I do weigh around 250 so my weight might be a factor but 1600 miles, damm. I might have to look into "touring" tires, any reccomendations. Chris

I only got 3k out of the stock tires.

In Vegas we did a lot of hard stop and go sometimes, and we did make three passes at the dragstrip, I'll see how many miles I get out the second rear.

Metzler makes a good sport touring tire, a little less grippy, but it will last longer. ME33 I think.

Thanks "O". I might try the mets next, but there a little on the pricey side. Do you know anything about the Bridgestone BT-020? Is there anything to the replacement tire hype? I see adds that state the particular tire was "designed" for the 1300. Just curious, Chris

I got 6k from a Bridgestone Bt01..not to bad...which is almost race rubber. Now have a pair of Pirelli dragons from 02 or 01.
It's basically up to you...If your goin' nuts a tire can be toast in one day....such an awsome scooter..but i can't afford tires that often....punch it here n' there..small wheelie here and there and only do burnouts when it's just about finished...
plus air temp has alot to do with it..and correct psi..there are some hard compound tires out there..10k maybe...but could light up to easy and be slick in the turns..Compromise..is what it is and how you ride...tough choices...ride safe ...

I got ~ 4000 miles on my stock tires.
but I put on a Pirelli Diablo...nice tire when it's warm...you guys down south might like it.
However for us guys in the north, if it's under 60 degrees, it's slippery as hell...and do look out.

Thanks "O".  I might try the mets next, but there a little on the pricey side.  Do you know anything about the Bridgestone BT-020?  Is there anything to the replacement tire hype?  I see adds that state the particular tire was "designed" for the 1300.  Just curious, Chris
Sorry, I don't know much about tires, I've only had the stock Bridgestones, Dunlop 207s (1set), and the Metzlers.
Maybe the BT 020 was designed for the bike, but I don't see any reason you can't put a harder compound on the bike as long as you know it's not for hard canyon riding, and may be easier to break loose off the line.

2800 miles from stock tire. Replaced with the BT-010.
0 burnouts but a lot of small wheelies.

old_tire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy mother of God! I'da replaced those puppies at first sign of threads.
I hope your faith is strong my child.

My stocks are half gone at 1070 miles. No burnies, almost no wheelies [4 so far - still learning], lots fo high speed and many fast take offs, I weigh about 175.

I'm looking for the longest lasting, yet still grippy for twisties tire, price [nea, my SAFETY] no object. Anyone?
Otherwise I'll keep buying the stock tires.

The tire was worn in the middle and I went out for a short ride that ended up being a long ride. Got home and freaked when I saw the cords. This will not happen again, because I will always have a back-up tire ready to go. I have a friend with a tire changer so it's no big deal to pull off and replace the rubber if things look bad.

Well, so far the Sportechs have lasted the longest for me even with only 5k miles on it. They have excellent grip too.

I just put mine on yesterday they don't even have a mile on them.But I'll let you know how they fare.

(blas32 @ May 20 2003,3:18)
2800 miles from stock tire.  Replaced with the BT-010.
0 burnouts but a lot of small wheelies.[/QUOTE]

Based on the size of that flat spot my guess would be that you might have wanted to keep the tire pressure a little higher.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe find some twistier roads?
biggrin.gif

Avon makes a "high Performance" sport touring tire that has a harder rubber middle with softer rubber on the edges, that might be a good way to go?

I keep 40 psi on the rear. I think a lot of the rubber was left on the Dyno after my custom map. That ruff surface on the Dyno had to have taken about 750 miles off the life of my tire.

Are the Avons rated for 180+ mph? After seeing Mladin's tire shred at Atlanta, I would check it out. The Metzlers get warm after going around the block. That is why they are so sticky. My stock BT56 would only get hot on a 100degree Summer day.

I keep 40 psi on the rear.  I think a lot of the rubber was left on the Dyno after my custom map.  That ruff surface on the Dyno had to have taken about 750 miles off the life of my tire.
Dynos eat tires. You are correct. I recommend not putting anything new on that machine. Hit the dyno with an old set tires and put the new shoes on after.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Sierra

to be honest when I was looking at an add in Motorcyclist from Chapparal or something like that they do NOT have a ZR Rating clearly displayed... Curious, they may not be suitable for the Busa. As For Mladins adventure? All I can say is I would give my left (Walnut) to have that kinda of poise and skill. He made it look so easy and ordinary, like he does it all the time...spooky.

So yeah I am thinking the Avons are out of the runnin...I'll see what I can learn tonight.

Back