Splitting Traffic

I see no problem with 'filtering to the front' at lights when traffic is stopped. But I value my safety (and license) that I will not split moving traffic. (legal or not)

As said before, illegal in Washington but even if it was I still wouldn't do it. It's simply unsafe because you never know what a cager is going to do. Maybe at low speed to get through congestion, but to merely pass somebody because they aren't going fast enough? Come on.
I still remember my last trip to California. I almost ran two motorcycles over when making a right hand turn, they decided to pull up on my right to make their own turn because I wasn't going fast enough. One ended up going into the ditch, the other emergency stopped and started threatening me until I got out and he realized I was twice his size. Point is I was looking for pedestrians and bicycles, not the motorbike that was parked behind me just a half second ago.
I can see where it has it's purpose, like standstill traffic or slow moving congestion. It gets bikes out of harms way and off the roads to free up the vehicles, but the problem is that people then start using it to pass vehicles on open roads at speeds that they shouldn't be splitting lanes at. Too many idiots allready on bikes, I don't need one of them under my vehicle.
You are not from California, thus you exhibited typical behavior.

Californian drivers are more likely to be aware of the possiblity of a motorcycle "materializing" out of thin air next to them.

People from the rest of the US are not so inclined unless that are riders themselves.
And there lies the problem.

I'm not used to it and niether are Canadian drivers which we have up here...and to be honest, they are crazy drivers. Those guys will try to run a train off it's tracks if it means saving a few seconds, and there aint no way in hell I'd try to lane split knowing they could be near by.

Also, for the person who says that I can't ***** about dangers if I haven't tried it....so, I gotta kill somebody with a gun before I can know it's dangerous to point a loaded weapon at somebody?
rock.gif
Logic rocks.

All I know is that when in Cali, every other car that passed me I thought was being chased by a cop with how they drove. Maybe I saw the worst you guy's had to offer traffic wise, but I couldn't see lane splitting being safe in those conditions. Like I said, maybe at a slow crawl..but not at the speeds I was going.

We have traffic here in New York City just as bad if not worse than LA, I have driven in both.. Never rode though in LA.. I have to say that at some point in time lane splitting would be required just to keep from over heating in the summer.
As far as Law enforcement goes, having more than a few LEOS in the family I can confidenlty say here in the big city they have there hands full with plenty of real crime were there is a victim.. They really could care less if you pull up between there marked or unmarked car at the red light as long as you dont pull a whole shot or a wheeilie at the greeen light.

In the end its all about you personal level of comfort, safty, skill level and expereince.. Personally I think a lot of guys that ride in less crowded areas of the county have no idea how bad it can really get up here.. You really do need to ride very aggresivly and stay away from the cages to stay alive.. I say this based on 25 years of riding here in NYC..

With out a doubt, up here as soon as you start to ride the way you drive your car, "with the flow of traffic" you will be dead.........

As said before, illegal in Washington but even if it was I still wouldn't do it. It's simply unsafe because you never know what a cager is going to do. Maybe at low speed to get through congestion, but to merely pass somebody because they aren't going fast enough? Come on.
I still remember my last trip to California. I almost ran two motorcycles over when making a right hand turn, they decided to pull up on my right to make their own turn because I wasn't going fast enough. One ended up going into the ditch, the other emergency stopped and started threatening me until I got out and he realized I was twice his size. Point is I was looking for pedestrians and bicycles, not the motorbike that was parked behind me just a half second ago.
I can see where it has it's purpose, like standstill traffic or slow moving congestion. It gets bikes out of harms way and off the roads to free up the vehicles, but the problem is that people then start using it to pass vehicles on open roads at speeds that they shouldn't be splitting lanes at. Too many idiots allready on bikes, I don't need one of them under my vehicle.
You are not from California, thus you exhibited typical behavior.

Californian drivers are more likely to be aware of the possiblity of a motorcycle "materializing" out of thin air next to them.

People from the rest of the US are not so inclined unless that are riders themselves.
And there lies the problem.

I'm not used to it and niether are Canadian drivers which we have up here...and to be honest, they are crazy drivers. Those guys will try to run a train off it's tracks if it means saving a few seconds, and there aint no way in hell I'd try to lane split knowing they could be near by.

Also, for the person who says that I can't ***** about dangers if I haven't tried it....so, I gotta kill somebody with a gun before I can know it's dangerous to point a loaded weapon at somebody?  
rock.gif
Logic rocks.

All I know is that when in Cali, every other car that passed me I thought was being chased by a cop with how they drove. Maybe I saw the worst you guy's had to offer traffic wise, but I couldn't see lane splitting being safe in those conditions. Like I said, maybe at a slow crawl..but not at the speeds I was going.
Not flaming you but take the bus next time. Every location has it's own style of driving. Dont go some where else and play cop by enforcing YOUR driving styles upon them. Either join them or join the bus club.

Bikes should always stay as far away as possible from cars, period..
To do anything less is to leave your destiny in the hands of the guy behind the wheel.. In my expereince that guy behind the wheel on purpose or by accident does not have my best interests "health wise" at heart.

Bikes should always stay as far away as possible from cars, period..
To do anything less is to leave your destiny in the hands of the guy behind the wheel.. In my expereince that guy behind the wheel on purpose or by accident does not have my best interests "health wise" at heart.
that guy doesnt care about his own saftey little alone yours

Also truthfully, if were riding such high performance machines capable of such speed and acceleration and we are afraid or unsure about or ability to safely split a lane we probaly should not be riding the Busa..

Just my own personal opinion, not meant to be applied to any one else..

Also truthfully, if were riding such high performance machines capable of such speed and acceleration and we are afraid or unsure about or ability to safely split a lane we probaly should not be riding the Busa..

Just my own personal opinion, not meant to be applied to any one else..
wowold.gif
someone is going to cry about that

I would not let my son who is a new driver operate my Corvete if I owned one, he would not touch the Busa either.. Both vehicles would be to much for him.. Both above his skill set and level of maturity..

Simple as that..
We all need to know our limits, while NOT nocking others for recognizing there limits thats all im trying to say..

I thought the lane splitting law in cali was that you can only do it traffic that is stopped, like at a red light, traffic jams, etc..am I wrong?

all day everyday, I feel like a sitting duck riding WITH traffic. when im moving faster than traffic i feel like im on a different clock than the cars and it allows me to make choices and avoid dangers rather than hope they will see me and wont hit me.

I thought the lane splitting law in cali was that you can only do it traffic that is stopped, like at a red light, traffic jams, etc..am I wrong?
There is no 'lane splitting law' in California or anywhere else that I'm aware of.  Its always up to the LEO's discretion as to how well you share the lanes.  All of them that I've spoken to about it, at least 7-8, mostly CHP officers, said that no faster than 15 mph is all they'll allow and that's only when its called for, again, in their opinion.  

There are those that simply outrun and weave thru traffic most anytime they feel like it but that's not true lane splitting.  In the eyes of most LEOs (and other drivers) its just reckless riding.  'Proper' lane splitting would be in heavy traffic with everyone going v e r y slowly or gridlocked.  Trying to ride on the edge of one lane is also recommended when possible, instead of weaving in and out of the two lanes available to you.  But under the best of circumstances, you will have to go back and forth more than you want.

BTW, does anyone in your state refer to it as flori?

as long as your not driving like a retard then i don't see the problem i live in semi congested traffic and if i could i would share up to every redlight its not like the one holding them back speedwise im usually out of their hair before they even saw me i ride within my comfort zone i don't ride dumb and i don't condone it i thing theres a time and a place for and i wish we were as good of drivers in florida like in cali but to me some of the blue hairs remind me or drunken go carting just weaving in the land boats they call cadilac

Lots of great points from the NY and CA riders here. a big danger comes from cagers who feel inclined to enforce traffic laws and "punish" lanesplitters. I too do not want to be a "sitting duck" or be at the mercy of the brainless cager who isnt looking out for my best medical interests.

At the moment, Im stationed in NC, a non splitting state. I do not filter or split lanes here. But at a light, or bumper to bumper traffic, I stop between lanes right over the lane stripe. I dont like cycle sandwiches.

Didn't read the thread. I'm guilty, once in rubber necking traffic. Baby was running hot and I was tired.

There is no 'lane splitting law' in California or anywhere else that I'm aware of.  Its always up to the LEO's discretion as to how well you share the lanes.  All of them that I've spoken to about it, at least 7-8, mostly CHP officers, said that no faster than 15 mph is all they'll allow and that's only when its called for, again, in their opinion.  

There are those that simply outrun and weave thru traffic most anytime they feel like it but that's not true lane splitting.  In the eyes of most LEOs (and other drivers) its just reckless riding.  'Proper' lane splitting would be in heavy traffic with everyone going v e r y slowly or gridlocked.  Trying to ride on the edge of one lane is also recommended when possible, instead of weaving in and out of the two lanes available to you.  But under the best of circumstances, you will have to go back and forth more than you want.

Check this out...

Quoted from the Tennessee Motorcycle Operator Manual...

Operation in Roadway lanes

A. All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a way to deprive a motorcycle of such use.

B. The operator of a motorcylce shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.

C. No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

D. Motorcycles shall not be operated more than two side by side in a single lane.

E. Motorcycles may be operated in designated high occupancy vehicle (H.O.V.) lanes.

Section B and C shall not apply to police officers in the performance of official duties.

What cops are you talking to? Every one of the ones I ride with down here think it's a great idea when done safely. It's the motor units in CA that continually fight keep it allowable not the citizens. I have four Cops in my family and two on the block here and they all say there is NO speed guidance only that you operate your conveyance in a safe manner.

I should have said no faster than 15 mph (faster) than the traffic flow is moving. Cars doing 35 for example, then a bike can run 50. They didn't comment on the recommended or 'allowable' speed of the bike in gridlocked traffic. I would suppose though, that any speed that doesn't appear reckless given the conditions present would be fine. Riding at say, 50 mph in totally stopped traffic might be just a tad too fast for most LEOs to let go by. 35 would appear to be a better (safer) speed for the motorcycle in that situation.
In re: "What cops are you talking to?" I said they were mostly CHP officers, some motor officers and some 'car' officers.

Back