spinal cord stimulator

mr8ball

Registered
Well guys I had it done today. Just a week trial period to see if it helps. Seem more like a ting unit implanted in my back. It is a constant stimulation of the nerve's. This is the first day so I should know in a few days if its going to help. It was a fairly painful process with all the mussel spasm's. Still having a lot of the. Just got the mussel relaxers so maybe it will ease up in a bit. A few things I can understand about this trial period is that you have to continue to take the pain meds. You cant lift, bend or do anything to really see what happens. Pretty much all I was told I could do is walk to see if that area of it changes. If it helps it would 30 to 45 days before the final implant. Well I will continue to pray and hope for the best. Here is a link for anyone interested in some pics of it. None of me of course :laugh: Hope everyone had a Happy Thinksgiving :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spi...Fspinal-cord-stimulation-chronic-pain;150;172

Good luck, stay away from the microwaves.... oh wait wrong thing..

My buddy just had his temporary one taken out yesterday. He said the stimulator was uncomfortable but it worked great and he can't wait for the permanent one. Hopefully yours works too.

Oh wow, I hope it helps! I have a TENS unit that I use when I have the really painful episodes with my lower back, and sometimes it's the only thing that helps. I have used it so much my back is completely numb, so I would imagine having it implanted would be the most amazing thing ever! In theory anyway :)

Keep us posted!! You deserve some relief...

Oh wow, I hope it helps! I have a TENS unit that I use when I have the really painful episodes with my lower back, and sometimes it's the only thing that helps. I have used it so much my back is completely numb, so I would imagine having it implanted would be the most amazing thing ever! In theory anyway :)

Keep us posted!! You deserve some relief...
Yea Vabs that is kinda what it feels like. An inner tens unit :laugh: It can really get strong depending on which way you move. I can tilt my head down and can not feel it at all but when I tilt it back WOW. A deep breath can change it as well. The remote I have will go to 100 but I only go to 30. I forgot to turn it down last night when I unplugged it and this morning when I turned it on it hit me hard. I guess it was the way I was standing or something. Lesson learned from that. LOL The pain area I was having trouble with feels good but the mussel spasm's are still here. It can get so bad It is all I can do to breath. I could feel it when they were doing the install and they say it is coming from that. I am not sure it will be worth it if this continues. I will not have to take more meds. The the mussel relaxers do is make me sleep. Needless to say that after day 2 I have not done anything to really see if this thing is going to work. All I have is a week :banghead: They say that is the limit because of the fear of infection where the wires are sticking out of my back. I went for a little walk and hope to be able to do more tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted. Here is a pic. Man I miss my bike.

DSC_0033.jpg

i wish you well mr.8ball. my father in law has had that unit implanted in his back for a few years now and he digs it. he claims it helps him when he needs it most. bad backs are a s.o.b. so i can empathize with you.

It seems to be a lot of bad stories about this thing. I have a couple of tens units but they just don't give the same affect. The unit I have is this Precision Spectra Spinal Cord Stimulator With 32 Contacts FDA Cleared As for me on day 3 my pain is really much better. Of course this is a trial period. My main issue are the mussel spasm's in the middle of my back. I could feel it happing when they were doing the implant. They started during the install of the leads and I could feel it every time he touched what ever is causing it. The Dr called me today and I was telling him about it and he said the cannel might bot be big enough for the leads to fit through to stop from touching what ever is causing it and they would not be able to do the implant if it continued. The mussel relaxers don't help much but one good thing about it, It is a trial thing. Anyway Thanks for all the info on this. It has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I am like anyone with a bad back. Just looking for a better life so I ca enjoy what life I have left. Thanks again to all.

Thats a good one :laugh:

Well after 3 days I am beginning to have my doubts. The mussel spasm's are just to much. It felt pretty good this morning when I woke up. I do not sleep with this things turned on. We went to church and after about an hr I turned it on and the mussel spasm's started. I talked with the Dr yesterday and was telling him about it. He said he is thinking the cannel where the leads are running is to narrow and that might be causing the trouble. Also an MRI would have to be done before the final implant to make sure there would be enough clearance for them anyway. It has been off most of the day and have only had to take a couple of pain pills. Of course I have not done that much either :banghead: I guess one good thing is at least its a trial thing and I wont be stuck with it if they cant figure it out. Hope all are well

Last update. I had it removed yesterday. To be honest it did help with the pain in my back but because of the mussel spasms I will not be able to keep it. No need in having to take another med to stop them. One good thing. It was a trial period. At least with that I am not stuck with the hardware in me for the rest of my life. Anyway thanks to all for the thoughts.

:( That's not the news I wanted to hear...

I was worried it wouldn't work just based on my experience with the portable TENS devices...while they do help alleviate pain, if used for too long, they start to create "new" pain by over-stimulating the muscles. I've been there, done that, had one on for hours and wished I'd thought about the repercussions :banghead:

What they need to invent is a nerve blocker that's 100% effective for pain only, but leaves you able to feel if something's hot, cold, fluffy :)

I'm sorry it didn't work :(

Back