spent the last two days under the car

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
I just spent the last two days under my Firebird. When I bought the car it had a 4 speed trans and a 10 bolt rear end. It now has a 5 speed and 12 bolt under it. With the 4 sp. at 70 I was turning around 3200 rpm and now it runs at 2600 rpm. I put a little lower gear in the rearend and a post unit so now I can have more fun leaving the lights.
biggrin.gif
No more one wheel wonder.
cool.gif

Christmas time.

HPIM0691__Small_.JPG

rear end. They screwed up and gave me the wrong diff. cover. I didn't think the performance cover would clear my muffler so I ordered a chrome one but then put the performance one on. $140 part for $30. I made it fit by moving the exhaust system back 1/2 inch.

HPIM0694__Small_.JPG

installed

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123218614 -->

trans.JPG

You made a good choice,I've got 28 spline Mosers in my stang,countless 5500 rpm launches on slicks, never broke an axle,I just had to reinforce the torque boxes, but thats it.NJ.
I had them build it tough.  32 spline axles and 1350 u joints.  I know I won't break this one and the trans is rated to 600 hp.   The next thing is new wheels and brakes.  Right now I have manual drums all the way around.  I am going to upgrade to power 4 wheel disk soon.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123220057 -->

ssbc is your next move, they make excellent brake systems, I'm pretty sure they make them for your car.Also did you remember to add the friction modifier to your gear oil in the rearend?

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123220263 -->

ssbc is your next move, they make excellent brake systems, I'm pretty sure they make them for your car.Also did you remember  to add the friction modifier to your gear oil in the rearend?
yep, SSBC is the system I'm going with when the time comes. As for the rearend I got a Detroit Truetrack so it's not needed. Just add gear oil and go.

beautiful car, would you ever consider putting on the stock wheels and maybe redlines or goodyear polyglas tires?

by the way that drivetrain looks bulletproof. What kinda #s is it putting out?

by the way that drivetrain looks bulletproof. What kinda #s is it putting out?
Thanks,  I'm thinking of going with 16" Cragar SS rims.  Power wise I have no idea what it has.  I haven't put it on a dyno yet or run the 1/4.  Now that I have a better drivetrain I may do it.  The engine is a stock (as far as I know) 65 389 that I have done a few things to.  Edelbrock crab, performer intake and a full flowmaster exhaust system with headers. I still need to do a little work under the hood.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123222639 -->

car4.JPG

Back