Speedometer Inop

SlimNickel

Registered
Fellas,

I have a K0 and now my speddo isn't working. When I first turn he key on, all gauge needle move to the right, then back to 0. When running, the tachometer revs and shows the RPMs. The temp and fuel gauges work as well. No matter how fast ot slow I ride, the speddometer doesn't move. The other heart-breaker is, I recently put some LEDs in the fairings. I wiried them to a toggle switch that is hard-wired to the batteries pos. and neg. post. I didn't tap into any other electriacl oultets or wire harnesses. In doing so, Now my odometer has reset back to zero. As a matter of a fact, I've put about 75kmh on it since and it's only reading 2 kilometers. What could be the prob? I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and still nothing. I read a post about HIDs, and wonder if I too am having the same trouble now. I've had the HIDs for about 3 weeks now, and they are still working well. Help if you can.

-Slim-:banghead:

Sorry to hear abt your problem Slim. All I can suggest is to disconnect the LEDs and HIDs and
take it for a spin and see if the speedo works again. Process of elimination.!!
Good luck Bro.

Where is the HID ballast located in relation to the instrument panel? You may be getting interference from the ballast. If you have enough slack wiring try relocating it further away from the gauges or cover it in some lead shielding that you can get from an audio install joint.

When I bought my 2003, I had the exact same symptoms. I figured it had to be the speed sensor, so I replaced that, still didn't work. So I figured it had to be the gauges, so I replaced those (ouch), nope, still not, same problem. So I tested the wiring and everything checked out fine so I assumed I must have got a bad replacement speed sensor. Got the 2nd replacement speed sensor and still had the same problem. In desperation, I bought the cluster from a 2003 GSXR750 and re-pinned my harness and that works 100% perfectly, so I just gave up and just kept that. The only thing that doesn't work correctly is the fuel light, but I have a digital version on the way from JC Whitney. On the plus side, I got the perfect place to mount the gear display!

I know this may not help your situation, I just wanted to give you some insite into what I went through.

testgg.jpg

Last edited:
So if your speedo isn't working, then technically you're not speeding right? :whistle:

Best of luck to you fixing it though...

Do you know anyone else with a busa that maybe you can try a cluster swap to test if yours just went bad all together?

I think you can get a used cluster on ebay for around $150-$200...

:beerchug:

I would take a stab by saying you might have disconnected something to the speedo accidently and the problem is not directly related to the installation of the hid's. just my guess. good luck

There is a diagnostic process in the manual to measure the output of the speed sensor, it requires buying a couple of resistors. I'd definitely do that before replacing any parts.

So if your speedo isn't working, then technically you're not speeding right? :whistle:

Do you know anyone else with a busa that maybe you can try a cluster swap to test if yours just went bad all together?

I actually got pulled over the first day I got my project busa running, actually told the cop that the speedo was broken. He didn't seem to care but then I realized by a comment he made that he had to have a busa too, so I started chatting with him about them and he let me go with a warning. :thumbsup:

Where is the HID ballast located in relation to the instrument panel? You may be getting interference from the ballast. If you have enough slack wiring try relocating it further away from the gauges or cover it in some lead shielding that you can get from an audio install joint.

I have them in the nose right near where the intake ducts are. It could very well be the ballasts causing the problem. I'll give the shielding a try and let you know the outcome. Thanks a bunch. -Slim-

Sorry to hear abt your problem Slim. All I can suggest is to disconnect the LEDs and HIDs and
take it for a spin and see if the speedo works again. Process of elimination.!!
Good luck Bro.

Thanks Kaptain. I'm willing to give that a try. Hopefully, I wonl;t have to replace the whole assembly or have the computer reset.

When I bought my 2003, I had the exact same symptoms. I figured it had to be the speed sensor, so I replaced that, still didn't work. So I figured it had to be the gauges, so I replaced those (ouch), nope, still not, same problem. So I tested the wiring and everything checked out fine so I assumed I must have got a bad replacement speed sensor. Got the 2nd replacement speed sensor and still had the same problem. In desperation, I bought the cluster from a 2003 GSXR750 and re-pinned my harness and that works 100% perfectly, so I just gave up and just kept that. The only thing that doesn't work correctly is the fuel light, but I have a digital version on the way from JC Whitney. On the plus side, I got the perfect place to mount the gear display!

I know this may not help your situation, I just wanted to give you some insite into what I went through.

testgg.jpg

Bruh,
It's no problem. I appreciate your reply to this. I would rather have a digital gauge if I could find a year that would work and not cost an arm and a leg.

My other Busa Boys are riding K8s and K9s. I'm just trying not to have to get a new cluster if it is something simple.

I would take a stab by saying you might have disconnected something to the speedo accidently and the problem is not directly related to the installation of the hid's. just my guess. good luck

I'm not sure about that. The way that I have the LEDs ran is from a toggle switch that is mounted on the frame at the front tank bolts. I ran the wire for it under the tank, to the battery. The only pieces that I took off were the side fairings. The LEDs have quick-disconnects from the switch and the pos and neg wires from the battery. I think I'll try what the Kaptain said, and disconnect the LEDs first, since I only have to undo the screws on the battery as opposed to talking the whole front off for the HIds...second option. If that doesn't work, then step two.

Back