Speedometer and odmeter problems

flippnswitchez

Registered
So I got back to the states yesterday from Afghan and pulled the busa out. The speedometer is not working and the odmeter is just flashing dashes across it. Now I pulled the speed sensor and checked it and pulled the gauges and reinstalled because I searched some threads and saw others had similar problems and that worked for them but no luck any ideas? Oh and the tach IS working.

What the...

I've had speedos do some crazy things, but never caused a flash on the odometer. Maybe do a diagnostic paper clip test?

Do you have a speedo healer or anything?

I do have HIDs on the bike and the battery is brand new. I pulled the sensor today and its looks brand new. The odometer still flashing dashes across it and the speed still no worky, i also pulled the gauges and reinstalled and nothing. Do HIDs cause this problem?

I do have HIDs on the bike and the battery is brand new. I pulled the sensor today and its looks brand new. The odometer still flashing dashes across it and the speed still no worky, i also pulled the gauges and reinstalled and nothing. Do HIDs cause this problem?

Possibly HIDs, but doubtful.
If you can't fix it these guys can, good prices and fast turn around time:thumbsup:
www.welcometoblueguages.com

So I ordered a new rectifier and that didn't work either. I also forgot to mention sometimes when the bike starts the HIDs will not cut on. If I cut the bike off and turn it back on they cut on.

the hid is probably a separate issue. but, you could double check the install. grounds, hots. disconnect and see if gauges come back. if no, maybe swap a different gauge setup in. if it works...gauges. if not feed to gauges.

good luck. i see your in NC. maybe someone close can help?

I'd probably rewire the HIDs if they're hooked up to anything at the front of the bike. I'm thinking maybe a ground on the HIDs is wired to a ground into the gauge cluster and is messing them up.

So i broke my arm weds but got an update tonight on the gauges. i sent them to bluegauges and long be hold the first question he asked was do i have HIDs because what blew is normally caused by HIDs. So I guess bye bye HIDs :(

i personally dont run hids, but lots of guys do. i have never heard of the hids themselves causing issue. i have to assert that the install was somehow "married" to the gauges. shared ground, hot... something not good.

an older mechanic buddy of mine once told me that 99% of mechanical issues trace back to mechanics! :laugh:

Lol I like that quote. Almost always true. Normal wear and tear, but a lot of issues come after modding this or that.

So I ordered a new rectifier and that didn't work either. I also forgot to mention sometimes when the bike starts the HIDs will not cut on. If I cut the bike off and turn it back on they cut on.

The issue you describe (the speedo and odometer problem + the non-cut on of the HID on starts) are exactly the sames issues that I got. I'm looking for a new gauge cluster, and maybe insulate my HID with aluminium foil.

Back