Speedo off with 330 kit?

Chipster

Registered
So I'm pretty new here but I just picked up an 07 with a myrtle west 330 kit on it. I picked it up last week from a dealer in NC. The only issue I've noticed so far is that when I'm running 75-80 on the interstate, I seem to be getting passed by everyone. I don't know where the Speedo sensor reads from though. I'm used to cars where it is the overall diameter of the tire that causes the issue. But the 330 is only 0.3 inches higher in diameter so that should be a very small difference to the Speedo. Am I missing something? Is this comon? Or maybe everyone is just flying on the interstate lately lol.

I check mine with my sat-nav and again with an ap on my phone.

Speedo pick up should be from the front sprocket.
Is it possible someone has played with the gearing ?

Here are a couple pictures of the bike and the Diablo in case anyone wants to see it.

0726141255b.jpg

0726141255a.jpg

0726141255.jpg

0726141254b.jpg

0726141254a.jpg

The speedo is off around 7% from the factory to begin with.
Buy a SpeedoHealer(made by Heal-Tech Electronics), you can get them with a plug and play harness too.
Plugs in-line of the factory harness under the clutch side fairing.
They can be programmed for any tire and/or sprocket(s) size.
Site sponsor Pashnit sells them, and around $100.

Thank you all! I'll check into the speedohealer. . I'm pretty sure I don't have aftermarket gearing but it is definitely off. Thanks for the compliments. It had been 13 years since I had a bike while in college so I'm taking it easy until I get used to this but I really like it so far.

Not trying to jack the thread but does anyone know what size sprockets will best compensate for a big tire 300 and up?

I use my car Sat-Nav in a tank bag, and an ap on my IPhone called "Pirelli Diablo Biker"
but in not sure if you get that in the US ?

Just fitted a KOSO aftermarket clock to a wrecked GSX1400 I was fixing up,
speedo had to be set up, calculating from tyre rolling length wasn't as close as repeated
constant speed runs at 80 / 100 /120 kph. Sat nav and ap were quite close to each other.

Speedo is probably more accurate than my other bikes now.

image.jpg
photo hosting

Not trying to jack the thread but does anyone know what size sprockets will best compensate for a big tire 300 and up?

You just need a little more get up and go to compensate for the extra weight/rolling mass.
A +3 rear will pick things back up, and assuming you have as much slack adjustment in this chain as stock, the sprocket should fit it just fine. You can always add a -1 front if you don't think the +3 rear is enough.
The -1 front/or +3 rear individually make very similar overall gear ratio changes, but the +3 is not as hard on the chain.
The -1 makes the chain wrap tighter as it's a smaller sprocket, and there is already more stress on the links from the heavier wheel and tire.

:welcome: to the oRg. GPS. You probably have a gearing change too. If you're not running 90 on the interstate you're gonna get passed

Thank you all! I'll check into the speedohealer. . I'm pretty sure I don't have aftermarket gearing but it is definitely off. Thanks for the compliments. It had been 13 years since I had a bike while in college so I'm taking it easy until I get used to this but I really like it so far.
If you bought this as is I'm pretty sure it has a larger sprocket than stick on the rear plus the larger diameter tire will definitely throw the speedo off. If your rpms are above 4500 at 80 mph then the sprockets are definitely not stock.

I got a speedometer correction device from a company called 12:00 oclock Labs. It has performed perfectly, is easy to install and costs 80.00 delivered. Check out their web site and it will show how the adjustments are made. I waited too long to get a true speed reading.

I thought I added a reply the other day but I rode the bike about 325 miles on Saturday to a soccer tournament. And the odo ended up reading about 375. So I figure I'm off about 15% which makes sense with the Speedo numbers I was seeing to keep with traffic. Just thought I would update. Now that I have a good idea how fast I'm actually going, I'm not sure I'll try to correct it. Not too concerned about the mileage either.

Back