Speedo blues

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered
Took my bike out the other nite, and my speedo seems to be jumping a little bit, about 5 miles an hour. It wasn't doing this before, i just started. Also it does it more over about fifty or so, anyone else seen this problem, or any input?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|GIXERHP
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118151516 -->

Have you added anything to the speedo circuit like a speedohealer/yellow box ect? And whats the year/mileage of your bike? You could have a speed sensor going bad or maybe a connection starting to act up. I would check the simple things first.....
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117655311 -->

Its a 04, with 2500 miles on it.
And i haven't added to the speedo?

Get it to the dealer quick, sounds like the bolt for the stator is working its way loose , you dont want this to happen.NJ.

Get it to the dealer quick, sounds like the bolt for the stator is working its way loose , you dont want this to happen.NJ.
What do you mean, and which bolt. My warrenty has all ready expired and i wouldn't let the dealer work on the bike any way.
Thanks John

Then pull your stator cover and check to see that the bolts are tight

My 05 goes into the shop today for the same problem, I'll let you know what they find. Unfortunately, I fear I'll hear the same old BS, "we can't find anything wrong, etc"...

Yes indeed, just got her back from the shop. The tech (and he's one of the few out there that knows his stuff) found the problem to be in the speed sensor wiring (high resistance reading). They ordered a new speed sensor which also consists of about a foot long length of wiring and green plug that I'll install in 7 days when it gets in. He checked everything else that has been discussed here in this forum and found all to be OK. I'll update you as soon as I get the new sensor!

Yes indeed, just got her back from the shop. The tech (and he's one of the few out there that knows his stuff) found the problem to be in the speed sensor wiring (high resistance reading). They ordered a new speed sensor which also consists of about a foot long length of wiring and green plug that I'll install in 7 days when it gets in. He checked everything else that has been discussed here in this forum and found all to be OK. I'll update you as soon as I get the new sensor!
Well lets see who gets there sensor first, i allready ordered one!! Also ill let you know what happens.
John
race.gif

Thanks John, I'll be watching this thread closely! Little things like this bug the heck out of me, greatly distracts from my riding pleasure. The tech asked me why I took my left fairing off before I bought her in. I couldn't just out right tell him I didn't trust anyone to remove it because of possible scratching issues, so I told him it was to make his job easier not having to mess with removal/reinstall, etc..

Thanks John, I'll be watching this thread closely! Little things like this bug the heck out of me, greatly distracts from my riding pleasure. The tech asked me why I took my left fairing off before I bought her in. I couldn't just out right tell him I didn't trust anyone to remove it because of possible scratching issues, so I told him it was to make his job easier not having to mess with removal/reinstall, etc..
I've had nothing but electical problems with this 04, my 01 was a great bike. I shouldn't have sold it, but i saw the limited red one and had to buy it. Stupid me.......
rock.gif

My new speed sensor should be in sometime this week, i'll update as soon as i know.
John

I hope the new sensors cure our woes. Mine should be in Friday or the following Tuesday......
Jim

Back