Speeding Ticket

Cblast

I want mine to say Pauly Walnuts!
Donating Member
Registered
I think that I have mentioned the squids that live down the street from my house a few times, well, I went out for a nice quiet ride this evening and I stopped to get gas in a town about 15mins ride from my house.  At the gas station were two of the squids and they came over to say hey while I was filling up.  We all left the station together and rode back to the base we live on.  As we are pulling off the ramp from the highway to the road leading to base, they both gun the $hi# out of their 600's and take off on me.  I think to myself "idiots, let 'em go, I am freezing my butt off and it is too cold to be tearing ass around".  Not two minutes later I get lit up by a county sherrif that was parked on the side of the road with all of his lights off.  I immediately pull over and shut off the bike.  He comes up to me and says, "that was impressive, why did I get you doing 78 in a 30?"  I said "no way, must have been the two bikes that just roared through here, they just ripped off on me".  He takes my license, comes back and asks how fast I think I was going, I tell him "maybe 40-45, which is still speeding I know, but no way was i doing 78, I had not even shifted out of first yet and I was just taking it easy because I am freezing my butt off.".  He walks away again, comes back and hands me a ticket for $550!  Negligent driving / 78 in a 30.  I tell him "I am not going to argue with ya dude, you are probably looking for those two kids not me, one of them was on a black bike (cbr 600), you are wrong and I am gonna take this to court.".  He did not say a word, just walked off.  I am so sick of the crap we have to take because of some other idiots bad decision, I don't think I even hit 78 on the highway because I was freezing my nuts off and the wind was going right through my jacket.  
wtf.gif

bummer.... I think a court visit is in order.... hope like hell the judge believes you... hard to believe the cop did not see what really happened unless the jerks woke him up from his nap...

Work on your strategy for court... So officer "How many" bikes did you see? blah blah.... good luck

Fight it Dude!! They'd have to find me guility and slap me in jail..IF I didnt do it!! I wouldnt pay.. Its all about the $$ .The system is way outa control.. Good luck!!!

That really bites!!

Fight it, if the cop was soo out of it he didn't realize there were 2 other bikes, chances are he didn't follow procedures. At the least your lawyer might get it plea bargained down to just a speeding ticket.

Those types of cops should be fired!!
argue.gif

That sux
bs.gif
If you can afford it I would get a lawyer that deals in speeding tickets,I think I read about them on this forum before. They usually win and have set prices. I think a ticket of that nature can cause you lose your license for a time depending on your state/town statutes. I think here in Florida 25 or 30 over and they can take ur azz to jail.

Cblast, that is so effed up! We all feel for you...remember to write down EVERYTHING that happened, including your idea of how the officer MISIDENTIFIED you as being the speeder.
Write the story, make it easy to listen to...not too long...and practice it before you tell it in court. I've testified in 100's of tickets and you have to show that there was time between the real speeding and when the officer pulled you over. Also, is your bike quiet and did they have loud pipes? Things that CREATE A REASONABLE DOUBT in the listeners mind(the judge). The universal yardstick is the reasonable doubt issue....this is not a cite where you were paced by the officer. Be humble, polite and emphasize you are a bone honest law abider, the cop is probably a great cop(you come across like that's how you feel about him) BUT he simply made a mistake. If pictures will help, take em. Only you have a feel for the circumstances so make the bottom line for your presentation as...IT WASN'T YOU.
Good luck to you, preparation can beat a ticket like this one! Raydog

I tell him "I am not going to argue with ya dude, you are probably looking for those two kids not me, one of them was on a black bike (cbr 600),
Looking at the pic in your sig, I'd say that's why that's why he pulled you. All he saw was a black machine with 2 wheels.

Sux though.
boxing.gif
it!

oh and props for not blowing your cool.... not sure that counts for anything in court but hey it can not hurt I hope..

it always pays to be nice to law enforcement even if they (cough) misinterpret what is going on around them!

16.jpg

i got blamed for a ticket cause the cops saw a blue bike .. during the day mind you...mine was a 02le black busa....not blue!!! 95 in a 50....cop wrote on the ticket i had a gsx 550 white and blue bike....i had to get a lawyer and go to court....it cost me $275.00 for lawyer $100.00 in court cost and i had to plead guilty to 64 in a 50 so i would not get reckless driving... nothing was said about the description being wrong..the cop could have wrote down a rabbit in a cape flew by and i had to miss a days pay from work and spend $375.00 for his stupidity...sucks but now it is off my driving record..good luck my friend...check for a motorcycle lawyer only...its all in the pocket,, if you have money , you can break the law!!! being honest got me no where just losing $500.00..
guns.gif

That's my 1 PROBLEM with our legal system, his word against yours, FORGET IT !!! That's what sucks about EVERYBODY fighting tickets they are guilty of. They look at you as just another person trying to get out of a fine, and points !!!!

In my state, Delaware, It's a charge for 20 mph. over, and you lose your license for up to 6 months.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Make sure you follow the proper procedure for your state and request all evidence that would show your innocence or guilt, which should include a copy of the video.

Good luck

Jury Trial

Wow.. that bites. This might be a tough one... You may be able to fight it and win, but in a lot of places when it's the LEO's word against yours, you lose. Don't matter if you're right and he's wrong.
argue.gif
What makes it worse, is he thinks he's right.

Spending some $ on a good attorney sounds like a good idea. I don't know what the penalty for negligent/78 in a 30 is, but here in NC it'd be pretty significant.

guns.gif
squids

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Good luck with this, follow Robert's advice about acquiring all the evidence...if there is a video maybe it will show the real perps.

I would take both those 2 fools to court with you. Talk to the courts attorney. They cant issue them tickets now.

I had something similar to that when I first got my bike in 01' there was a guy in my town that had the same year and color. He was way more seat time than me. So I was off one afternoon for a little seat time and rolled up on a check point. The trooper ran over to me and asked for my license and asked "Were you the one that passed me on hwy48 doing 75 in a 45?" That is the problem. They try to pin the rap on who ever they can get their hands on. Calling themselves making an example out of that person. I dont know what you can do for your situation because the judicial system is F#$ked up.

Back