Speeding ticket while crashing?

I dont get it.People here will see a cop and slow down, the cop can have someone already pulled over and they still slam on the brakes in the heat of traffic.If I see a cop I just let off the gas a little but dont cram on the brakes.

Many states like New Mexico require you to slow down and clear adjacent lanes when passing emergency vehicles. If not, you can also be ticketed. I always move over and slow down. It always gets me how many people feel their time is more important than somebody's life. They will dodge through traffic, cut people off, text and surf the web...I actually saw a guy one morning while commuting to work typing on his IPad setting in his steering wheel!!!! or drive 20 Mph over the speed limit and tailgate you cause you are not going fast enough. It is a sign of the self centered, self absorbed, this text is more important, screw everyone but me society we all live in now. Then when they do injure or kill someone they are on television blaming it on someone else and not owning how screwed up in the head they really are.

Rant over....I feel better now!

The title should be changed to "Government racket now extends to crashing bikes".

I dont get it.People here will see a cop and slow down, the cop can have someone already pulled over and they still slam on the brakes in the heat of traffic.If I see a cop I just let off the gas a little but dont cram on the brakes.

I think the core of the problem is the fact that posted speed limits are not enforced. Instead, an arbitrary number decided by a cop is enforced. For example, in a 55 mph zone, a cop would not stop anyone going 56 mph, and probably won't stop for doing 60 mph. But going any faster, some cops will let you slide up to 70 mph, while others may not. That is why drivers are confused and "playing it safe" when they see a cop, and slow down to get into the "safe" speed. At times, there will be a cop who will pull a driver for doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zone - just to get more money for the county. Very confusing to drivers. So, when they see a cop they do the only logical thing - slow down as quickly as possible.

The issue above is the result of yet another deeper problem - the speed limits on divided highways are too low in the first place - anyone can guess why - in the name of safety of course (and not to generate more revenue for the government, you silly). This other problem has its own set of consequences - slow drivers occupying the left lane because "they have a right", thus slowing everyone down and creating frustration for those who are unable to pass; LEO's are not concerned with making sure the flow of traffic is smooth - they are more concerned about enforcing the speed limit (or adjusted speed limit depending on how they feel on that day).

I think the speed limits can be set a lot higher in most places (not saying all places). I am sure many of us know roads where 55 mph speed limit is ridiculously low. I would say set it to 90 mph, and strictly enforce it. Modern cars, good roads, and ideal conditions can easily sustain such speeds. If someone is doing 91, then pull them over. If they start arguing about there speed being exactly 90 mph, tell them "it's the speed LIMIT - if in doubt don't get close to it - drive at 85 mph and be happy". Then, everyone would know that there is no confusion, that the speed limit is real.

I would also set a separate speed limit for bikes - 50% more than for cars - so 80 mph for cars would mean 120 mph for bikes (part of a motorcycle written test should be testing the ability to add 50% to any posted speed limit, LOL). It is fully justifiable - the bikes accelerate a lot better than 99% of the cars on the road, slow down better then 99% of the cars on the road, and swerver better than 99% of the cars on the road.

Many states like New Mexico require you to slow down and clear adjacent lanes when passing emergency vehicles. If not, you can also be ticketed. I always move over and slow down. It always gets me how many people feel their time is more important than somebody's life. They will dodge through traffic, cut people off, text and surf the web...I actually saw a guy one morning while commuting to work typing on his IPad setting in his steering wheel!!!! or drive 20 Mph over the speed limit and tailgate you cause you are not going fast enough. It is a sign of the self centered, self absorbed, this text is more important, screw everyone but me society we all live in now. Then when they do injure or kill someone they are on television blaming it on someone else and not owning how screwed up in the head they really are.
Rant over....I feel better now!

Honestly, this law does not make sense to me, and I believe it stemmed from extremely inattentive drivers who smashed into the standing emergency vehicle while it was blocking the left lane and not the shoulder. If an emergency vehicle blocks the left lane who in their right mind would drive and smash into it - someone who is drunk, typing a message - no law would help against stupid and irresponsible people. However, if an emergency vehicle is stopped on the shoulder, the only reasonable thing to do is to slow down a little and move a few inches away while staying in the same lane. The law's requirment is absolutely ridiculous in case there are cars on the road. How can every driver passing a stopped emergency vehicle safely change lane to the left in a few seconds? What if there is no room? This can easily cause an accident. Somehow, the law does not have any advice on executintg such a manuever. This is another example of goverment's inability to sort out simple things.

I was stopped in the lane next to a school bus when I got rear ended it pushed my bike and me all the way in front of the bus before landing facing the sky . The cop came to the hospital and gave me a ticket for failure to stop for a bus . what a Dumba$$ !! The judge thrrew it out. I mean come on , I wouldn't have gotten hit if I hadn't stopped !

I think the core of the problem is the fact that posted speed limits are not enforced. Instead, an arbitrary number decided by a cop is enforced. For example, in a 55 mph zone, a cop would not stop anyone going 56 mph, and probably won't stop for doing 60 mph. But going any faster, some cops will let you slide up to 70 mph, while others may not. That is why drivers are confused and "playing it safe" when they see a cop, and slow down to get into the "safe" speed. At times, there will be a cop who will pull a driver for doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zone - just to get more money for the county. Very confusing to drivers. So, when they see a cop they do the only logical thing - slow down as quickly as possible.

The issue above is the result of yet another deeper problem - the speed limits on divided highways are too low in the first place - anyone can guess why - in the name of safety of course (and not to generate more revenue for the government, you silly). This other problem has its own set of consequences - slow drivers occupying the left lane because "they have a right", thus slowing everyone down and creating frustration for those who are unable to pass; LEO's are not concerned with making sure the flow of traffic is smooth - they are more concerned about enforcing the speed limit (or adjusted speed limit depending on how they feel on that day).

I think the speed limits can be set a lot higher in most places (not saying all places). I am sure many of us know roads where 55 mph speed limit is ridiculously low. I would say set it to 90 mph, and strictly enforce it. Modern cars, good roads, and ideal conditions can easily sustain such speeds. If someone is doing 91, then pull them over. If they start arguing about there speed being exactly 90 mph, tell them "it's the speed LIMIT - if in doubt don't get close to it - drive at 85 mph and be happy". Then, everyone would know that there is no confusion, that the speed limit is real.

I would also set a separate speed limit for bikes - 50% more than for cars - so 80 mph for cars would mean 120 mph for bikes (part of a motorcycle written test should be testing the ability to add 50% to any posted speed limit, LOL). It is fully justifiable - the bikes accelerate a lot better than 99% of the cars on the road, slow down better then 99% of the cars on the road, and swerver better than 99% of the cars on the road.

Speed limits aren't confusing, if you go faster then the speed limit you can get a ticket. Stop complaining.

As for the speed limit being too low, talk to the people who clean up the aftermath of the accidents. When the speed limit went to 70 the kenetic energy roughly doubled. Note I said roughly. That means the cars have alot more energy to contend with.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

his hand crossed the solid white line! thats an automatic 3 month suspension of license in Sweden!
:rulez: don't cross the solid white line! :laugh:

Speed limits aren't confusing, if you go faster then the speed limit you can get a ticket. Stop complaining.

As for the speed limit being too low, talk to the people who clean up the aftermath of the accidents. When the speed limit went to 70 the kenetic energy roughly doubled. Note I said roughly. That means the cars have alot more energy to contend with.

tapatalk - on my HTC ERIS rooted with cyanogen mod 7

It is confusing as I explained above - one speed limit is displayed, and another variable speed limit is being enforced - it's the fact of life. As a result, if I drive at or below the speed limit I greatly increase my chances of being rear ended.

Again, your conclusion just makes no sense. Accidents happen because of speed differences, clogged left lanes, and the resulting frustration - not because of an absolute speed. If let's say everyone moves at the same speed of 80 mph, how can this cause a collision? Who cares about kinetic energy - you are not smashing into a standing car - most likely you are smashing into a moving car, so the whole kinetic energy argument does not apply. Also, the brakes are so much better these days that this kinetic energy gets burned really quickly.

Kinetic energy can play a role. Yea, you may hit a another moving vehicle moving at roughly the same speed. Everything else around you though is not. So how much kinetic energy does a 2500lbs. vehicle going 80 or 90mph have? Better yet, how much damage would that vehicle do to everything else around it going that fast? Speed limits were never meant to keep the mileage up in vehicles. I personally wouldn't mind if the speed limit was set higher. Whatever though, when your traveling 20 miles the difference in time between 65-70-75-80mph is only minutes. Not that big of deal.

I honestly do not know how the cop gave the poor sap a ticket. Don't you have to be riding or driving a vehicle to get a ticket? To me it looks like his bike wasn't parked correctly and rolled down the hill. He chased it as best as he could (should be an olympic runner if you ask me), but he got distracted by the cop and tripped over his own feet and well, you know the rest...:laugh:

I heard of those new brakes that will slow you way down.. But after seeing them in action here.. I think I'll stick to my old slow ones.. haha.. j/k.. It's jacked up though now he's going home with a ticket AND a wrecked bike. :p

Back