Speeding ticket Part 2

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
As you know I got busted going 117 in a 55 a month ago. For those who don't remember I got two tickets. One for speeding and one for reckless driving. I hired a lawyer and went to court today. We got the reckless driving thrown out and took the speeding ticket. Total fine was $550. The thing that sucks about Atlanta court is that the officer doesn't have to be there for the first hearing. If you want to fight it and hope that the cop doesn't show good luck. If you fight they summoms the officer to show so your chances he doesn't are slim to none. So that being the case I just took it and went home. I am so glad to have this behind me. By taking Defensive Driving and getting points removed from my record before hand I kept my license form being suspended. Now all I have to worry about is what my insurance company is going to say.

dude i look at it this way, you did okay, if you had lost your license how much money would that have cost you (lost wages) in the end its all about the benjamins. premiums will go up for 3 years if its your only offence youll be fine, especially after dropping the reckless driving charge. thank your lawyer.

Man I hate that for you...But it looks like you did the best that you could...Can't understand why you were written two citations...The speeding should have been included as a lesser factor of the reckless driving and that is the only issue you should have had to deal with...Anyway it's behind you...Now the real drama begins...The dreaded "Insurance Company"...Good luck...

Can't understand why you were written two citations...The speeding should have been included as a lesser factor of the reckless driving and that is the only issue you should have had to deal with...Anyway it's behind you...Now the real drama begins...The dreaded "Insurance Company"...Good luck...
That is what my lawyer said. Why both? who knows. As for Insurance I hope they keep up the same as they did in the past. I have had State Farm for 16 years now and I don't think my rates have ever gone up due to tickets or accidents that I have gotten in the past. We'll see.

dude i look at it this way, you did okay, if you had lost your license how much money would that have cost you (lost wages) in the end its all about the benjamins. premiums will go up for 3 years if its your only offence youll be fine, especially after dropping the reckless driving charge. thank your lawyer.
This is true. If both tickets stuck I would have been screwed. Both have a maximum fine of $1000 each. License would be $200 to get reinstated.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#FFE3F5" valign="middle" align="left">Spoiler (Highlight to Read):
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#000000" valign="middle" align="left">knock on wood[/QUOTE]  I have been ticket free for just over a year. some of u may remember what that was......      :alcoholic:  :alcoholic:
 -  I am just glad you got it over with.

one bad move, and    BOOM!! popo gets you!  Last time they came for me it was because I helped this little ol lady after she did a nose-dive into the corner of a brick wall with her Ranger.  

:rant:

<!--EDIT|cache
Reason for Edit: "......_......"|1066451802 -->

:sad: Well I guess Congratulations are in order...But $500...if you were in the middle of town or something fine, I undertand but it just irks me that we have to stress when we are out tear-assing around the country side. Not hurting anyone, we get tagged for freakin speeding...the whole concept is flawed, there really needs to be a graduated licensing system in the US... Some kind of special permit that allows us after taking several courses or holding a racing license to monitor ourselves in rural areas....
Ticket writing for money reasons is a perversion of the legal system... Grrrrr....

At least it's over. You did okay even though the $ hurts. Chalk it up as biker's battle scar and laugh about it in the future. :tounge:

Jim, how much $ for the Lawyer?
$600 but worth it compaired to others I talked to. One wanted $2500 up front. Another told me that I was the wrong color to goto court in ATL and expect to be treated fairly. Another one just made bad jokes and more or less told me I was screwed. This guy took me seriously, told me what I could expect if we didn't like the outcome he would fight it and go back to court a different day.
So $1275 total out of pocket $600 lawyer, $550 fines, $75 defensive driving. No jail time, still almost half of what it could have been, no action on my license other than 6 points which is fine because of the DD class, that took 7 points off. So it could have been a lot worse and who knows if I took it all the way it could have better. However with the severity of the charges I just didn't want to take any chances for worse actions.

:bounce:

Glad to here it was only $.

After all, it's only $.

I don't know abouut tickets, but State Farms gives you one freebie on accidents.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Well I'm glad for that that's over. I think the exense was worth what if could have been.

I know you're glad it's at least over with now...sorry it did end up costing a bit to fight, but at least you can still drive, and NO jail time!

Good luck with the insurance company jwcfbd...I hope they don't nail you for this...you may end up looking around for another policy before it's all said and done...my husband's driving record is terrible (nothing but speeding tickets for as far back as I can remember)...we ended up on an indemnity policy for about 2 years, reasonable rates, and once his record was cleaned up (thought it's never for long), we just changed to another policy...it pays to look around if you have some time...

I hate insurance companies !
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:comic sans ms'></span>Me 2!<span style='color:darkblue'></span>
guns.gif

My first time on I95 with my Busa,I flew past a trooper who was stopped in the emergency lane facing me(I was northbound,he was facing south).I couldn't believe he didn't atleast try to persue,as I was doing every bit of 175.Got away with it that time,but it got me thinking.What if they had managed to stop me?I would've been in the same boat as you,probably a bit worse.I know the performance of our bikes is like an addiction,but I don't want to lose my right to ride due to foolishness.I am a bit more restrained now.Still like to ride fast,but I try to be extremely careful.Even doing so,your ticket(s)are proof that it is always an assumed risk.

Back