Speed Wobble

del

Registered
Hi I have a 2000 Busa that has developed a bad 'speed wobble' at high speeds. It starts very rapidly at 160mph, quite scarry the first time. Its to bad to try and drive through it, or at least it is for me. I have spoken to my mechanic about it and he told me to slow down! Ye right. Any suggestions the wheels are balanced and tyres are good. The chain is past its best but ok. Cheers Del.

Check Steering damper...I had a GS1100ED yeard ago really bad wobble near 130 mph. Damper fixed. I had my 99 up over 160 a few times and never noticed anything but steady. You could have had it leak down. My opinion, I'm sure some of the guys with more know how will get you fixed, good luck...

Check Steering damper...I had a GS1100ED yeard ago really bad wobble near 130 mph. Damper fixed. I had my 99 up over 160 a few times and never noticed anything but steady. You could have had it leak down. My opinion, I'm sure some of the guys with more know how will get you fixed, good luck...

+1 had a Kaw 81 GPz1100 that would wooble at that speed as well. Used to scare the wits out of me:whistle: I chaulked it up to the tires not being rated for that speed or simply out of balance

how are you gripping your handlebars? (many people's pulse starts racing and they tighten up unconsciously)

seriously though, be careful if it is a consistent thing. if you overcorrect one time too many you will find yourself in a very bad situation. possibly even endangering others.

hmm, if you are relaxed then take a good look at your suspension setup.

as a friend of mine used to say, "if you are not sloppy then something on the bike is".

Check fork oil, tire balance/condition, rotor runout, chain, sprockets, steering head bearings, any gear loaded on the bike?, fairings all in place? Do you own a GPR stabilizer? I would not travel at those speeds without one loaded with 15 weight oil and highest setting.
Please don't travel at those speeds until you find out what is causing it.
I would also replace both tires. Be sure to check tire alignment.

If all checks out, it is usually something you are doing or not doing.

I still remember a poor mechanic that test rode a customer bile around here (I-80) to check a similar complaint back in the day. He ended up in the guardrails. High speed wobble aka death wobble, hospital wobble... no good:poke:

I still remember a poor mechanic that test rode a customer bile around here (I-80) to check a similar complaint back in the day. He ended up in the guardrails. High speed wobble aka death wobble, hospital wobble... no good:poke:
I have never heard of a tech checking a drive ability problem outside the posted speed limits, then again they may have started this after seeing what happened to that last tech.

Not much to offer mine is straight an true to indicated 186mph (we all know that was not true reading:laugh: but it sure felt fast) with the stock stabalizer. good tires an good chain an sprockets.

This happen to me once. It was the rear tire I had just purchased. Lived with it until I needed a new one.

Could you clarify - do handlebars go side to side and if so how many times per second and how many inches, or the front starts vibrating excessively?

Like This??

- motorcycle wobble and crash[/url]

On the slow motion of this video you can almost see it start in the back end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you clarify - do handlebars go side to side and if so how many times per second and how many inches, or the front starts vibrating excessively?

Sounds like he's describing a tank slapper. Very different from wobble to me.

Tank Slapper at 160 wouldn't end well :please:

Its a very sudden excessive vibration, to be honest when it happens I just let the throttle off immediately, to chicken to see if it would go away. I only knew the speed as it was recorded on the sat nav. Its happened twice I had to check it wasn't road wind etc. She has always been fine in the past, the tyres are quite new I suspect they are not balanced correctly. I think I will slow down to till its time for new tyres and then get a good service and try again. Seems a shame to have a 200 mph bike that can only do 160 but I can live with it. Many thanks for your help Del.

Just watched that vid Mike, no mine is defiantly front end and nowhere near as bad as that. Looks like the isle of man is it. ouch anyway.

Back