Speed sensor bolt

Learjett

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I'm going to change to a 16/42 combination and have heard all the horror stories about this little bolt head being stripped etc. and a personal observation brought some new light to me.  I made the startling discovery that not all 6mm hex wrenchs are exactly the same...or it could be that not all speed sensor bolt heads are perfectly milled/cast however they make the thing.  However, it doesn't matter which one is correct, it DOES matter however, that the wrench in question fits YOUR particular bolt head.  As you can see from the pictures, I had an assortment of 6mm hex's on hand and only ONE of them made a nice tight fit in the bolt.  You can read the captions for what happened next... and yes, the bolt came out without stripping the head.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

If you don't have an assortment of 6mm from which to choose the best fit... I'm sure I'll get some flak from this but I might try some RED loctite on the end of your hex, push it in and let it sit overnight to make a tighter fit in the bolt head.  If the bolt strips, then it was gonna strip anyway with that hex.  If it comes out, then just heat it to 400 deg and get the hex out of the head... This last part is just theory so if anyone tires this, let me know!  
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

i have gotten mine out with a variety of different6mm wrenchs, and no problems.

great post though
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif
super.gif

YOU DA MAN !!!!
bowdown.gif

A very nice piece of, "Let's clean as we go, it couldn't hurt right
rock.gif
". The approach on the 6 mil was simply a judgement call on what you had in the toolbox that would do the job effectively. If I don't get a snug bite, I'm one to stop and examine the situation. Or as "W" would say, "Sitchy-ay-shun". I've been turning wrenches so long it's never a "Maybe I shouldn't have done it that way ??". If I'm not comfortable, I just go at it another way that produces the same end result.

Just the same, you get the results, and the project gets done with the right amount of TLC.
super.gif

Which then gives you the right, and the opportunity to crack-open a cold one and admire your work.
beerchug.gif
I've been accused of being a little overly-attentive-to-detail........which, in response validates the words, "It's my ride, I'll do it my way". I just love admiring other people's work....thank you for the pics and the post. Awesome.
super.gif

super.gif

Thanks, one of my to do's is to clean behind the front sprocket cover, this will be my first time on the beast...

Just got done cleaning mine too. Messy job for sure. Need to do it more often. Did not have trouble with the hex head bolt though. Good step by step for the guys.
beerchug.gif

Yep allen wrenches vary.

Use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to remove the grime. IF you want to avoid it in the future....use vasoline and coat everything inside that WAS covered with the grime (including the push rod)

Excellent post! Nice, clear, pics rock.

I did the same thing last winter in my basement, on the carpet. This year I have a nice big heated shop, finally, but I miss the carpet, much nicer and warmer to lay on. I hope the old Busa isnt mad at me for keeping it in the little unheated barnshed while I built the new shop. Spring will tell.

Back