Speed restrictions

netrati

Registered
OK I got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. On the new hayabusa there is a speed limiter, right? Exactly how is it limited? Most of the speed limiters on cars just cut the fuel off at a certain speed, but all it takes is changing of the EFI computer. From what I've read this is not the case on the hayabusa. I haven't seen any solutions? What's going on here? Thanks, Drew

It goes off the gear position sensor (GPS) and engine RPM. The 2002 is a little bit different as we are finding, but the 2001 just takes a 5th gear TRE (timing retard eliminator). Plug one of these between the GPS and ECU and you're set.

If you don't like the idea of paying $70 for a resitstor inside epoxy with nice connectors, you can make your own with a 6.8Kohm resistor. Look for a 3-prong connector with blue, pink and black wires (or maybe it was white, don't remember right now... blue and pink, definitely, though). Leave the blue wire alone and splice the resistor between the other two on the ECU side.

Now the real trick is finding someplace where you can hit 190+.
wink.gif
I'd suggest an abandoned airfield... which, as luck would have it, should soon crawling with coffee-can Civics and then closed off by cops because of them.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

I forgot to add that the TRE was originally meant to do exactly what it says, remove timing retardation. In gears 1-3, the timing on all FI Suzukis are retarded below 4K rpm, so, especially with aftermarket exhaust systems, you will notice the bike lurching and being otherwise unresponsive around corners. By fooling the bike that it is in 5th gear (originally 6th @ 15K), it runs the higher gear maps and advances the timing. So, for 2001 models, the mod is two-fold.
wink.gif

As to whether or not it hurts ¼-mile times or not is still debated. Some report as much to 1-2 mph differences, either better with it or some better without it. Since the bike runs the 5th gear maps all the time, the fuel and timing will be different. Also, since most launch above 4K, a TRE may not be of any use. If you are not racing, driveability will be greatly improved. If you want the best of both worlds, you can make a switchable TRE simply by using a DPDT-switch or building an active TRE or, better known as Bruce's TRE.

Cyclecop where the #### have you been? Yea the runway thing causes all kinds of bad feelings with the local police. Not to mention the heart trouble and chest pain that goes with it.

blahahahahahahah

Yeah, yeah ... I know. I went down to the dungeon to see what was going on, and ran across this thread.

I was wondering would this void the warranty? Also, does it work like a TRE by making the bike think it in 5th, or does it make it run like the 99-00 models (not running rich in lower gears).

Hate to involve myself with the infamous TRE stuff, but I've wondered, from a technical standpoint, what exactly did Suzuki change to create the 186 limitation. I was under the impression the resistor only effected the 6th gearing only, thus creating the top end limitation. I'm surprised to read the retardation is effects in lower gears as well? So here's another question. With the 6.8K resistor installed, does it make a newer model Busa's act the same as the '99/'00 unlimited models, or is there more to it than that?
rock.gif
And why would it be necessary to switch the resistor in and out of the circuitry? (Bruce's TRE)

I put TRE on 05 busa and I hate it.
IN 300 miles gas milage dropped from 44 to 37MPG.
Idle was terrible and I think that i heard detonation few times.
so I disconnected TRE and measured exactly 6.8Ohm.
It was like $25 off ebay, not a big deal consdering very nice connectors. I can sell it for $15 delivered.
It should be a reason for suz guys to go 5 times more job and put different maps in ECM for each gear.
I don`t know the reason and i really want to.
I`m also interested if I can plug in pre restriction ECM to 05 busa. I tried searching here..... nothing.

I think the bottom line here is, no one really knows what Suzuki did to limit the '01's and beyond, or if they do, they're not talkin'!
laugh.gif

I forgot to add that the TRE was originally meant to do exactly what it says, remove timing retardation. In gears 1-3, the timing on all FI Suzukis are retarded below 4K rpm, so, especially with aftermarket exhaust systems, you will notice the bike lurching and being otherwise unresponsive around corners. By fooling the bike that it is in 5th gear (originally 6th @ 15K), it runs the higher gear maps and advances the timing. So, for 2001 models, the mod is two-fold. ;)

As to whether or not it hurts ¼-mile times or not is still debated. Some report as much to 1-2 mph differences, either better with it or some better without it. Since the bike runs the 5th gear maps all the time, the fuel and timing will be different. Also, since most launch above 4K, a TRE may not be of any use. If you are not racing, driveability will be greatly improved. If you want the best of both worlds, you can make a switchable TRE simply by using a DPDT-switch or building an active TRE or, better known as Bruce's TRE.
If it always runs thinkint that it is in 5th gear with the timing advanced. Wouldn't this cause the engine to kick back during start up after warm up? This was a problem first seen with the '02 models in which the engine/starter case broke as a result of the kickback(I was a victim).

jim

OK I got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. On the new hayabusa there is a speed limiter, right? Exactly how is it limited? Most of the speed limiters on cars just cut the fuel off at a certain speed, but all it takes is changing of the EFI computer. From what I've read this is not the case on the hayabusa. I haven't seen any solutions? What's going on here? Thanks, Drew
IF YOU WANT TO REPROGRAM THE ECU CONTACT NINJAEATER. APPARANTLY HE DOES GREAT WORK. YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND IT TO HIM. THIS MOD WILL REMOVE THE RESTRICTOR FOREVER. I HEAR HE HAS A QUICK TURNAROUND.

Back