Speed odometer is off

Cisco2238

Registered
I have an 07 hayabusa and I have noticed that my speed odometer is off about 10-15 mph. It also seems like the faster I go the worse it gets. Is this something normal when the sensor starts to go out? Is this something that can be recalibrated or needs to be replaced?

Has the gearing/tire size been tampered with? If so a SPEEDOHEALER will fix that, otherwise I havent a clue. There is a normal margin of error in speedos, say 5%, and at low speeds that error is minimal, but the faster you go, that percentage is a larger number..but 10-15mph seems high, unless you are going 230?

Hope that helps

-D

Stock gearing is 17/40
stock rear tire is 190/50/17

A smaller front sprocket or larger rear will make the speedo read faster.
But, as said above, the speedo is off from the factory.
SpeedoHealers work great, and you can program them for any tire or sprocket(s), including stock.

SpeedoHealer is the way to go,I've checked mine several times with a GPS and it's always right on the money(also has that cool little "highest speed attained" recall button :laugh:).

BoyIceCreamTruckDec2014009_zps452244cf.jpg

:whistle:

SAM_2445.jpg

Mine was off by 10%. So, going 30mph, no big deal. Worse at higher speeds, obviously.

How did I find out? Was getting passed by a Prius when I realized there might be a problem..... true story. I had just ridden it off the lot. I then did my research and realized that this is "normal" with most people on two wheels. The companies know about it, but no pushing or prodding brought anything out of it.

Speedo healer or sprocket change. Sprocket change will affect the odometer, but Speedo healer won't (or, that's what I heard).

10-15 off? How did you check this? At what speed?

Yes they are off some from the factory and the faster you go, the more off. Even 10mph off seems high, if going less then 100mph.

So if stock tires and stock gearing it's bound to be off some - mine was about 5% off, reading higher then I was actually going.

I'm going to take a wild guess and think you bought it used. So do you know if the bike had stock everything when you bought it?
Many guys put a bigger rear sprocket on and that would change your speedo more then from the factory. That's about the only way I could see 10-15 off.

Didn't have a GPS to check mine when I had stock gearing,but when I went to a 44T(and got a GPS to set my SpeedoHealer)it was off 9-10%(100 mph indicated was about 91 mph by GPS).From everything I've seen posted over the years most speedos with stock gearing usually average about 7% high.

I think the Busa speedo is way over optimistic above 90 mph. I don't know if that is on purpose or wheel spin. I once came home with my chest pumped out because I hit 175 mph. Check the max speed on the GPS and it was only 161 mph! So I basically go by my GPS even with the speedo healer. I did compare my GPS to my Android phone and they are within 1 mph of each other up to at least 150 mph. Still, for real speeds (i.e. below 70 or so) a speedo healer is a good thing. I was also told that the corrected speed is fed to instrument cluster (alters the signal at the speed sensor) so the odometer is corrected too, so your bike will have the correct speed.

I'm sure the speedohealer does just as advertised, but I like a product in the same vein by 12 O'clock technoligies. The electronic portion is slightly larger than a dime. The wiring plugs into the speed sensor. The best part is that it is about 80.00 to your door.

I went with a new sprocket which should get me pretty close to accurate and I expect better gas mileage too.

Just adding a speedohealer might correct the speedo but won't help gas mileage. :whistle:

I went with a new sprocket which should get me pretty close to accurate and I expect better gas mileage too.

Just adding a speedohealer might correct the speedo but won't help gas mileage. :whistle:

Probably wouldn't help mileage(the SpeedoHealer)a bit Red,you'd more than likely cruise a little faster(before when I thought I was doing 80 mph I was actually doing maybe 71-72,now when I'm doing 80 mph I'm actually doing 80 mph).:laugh:

Back