Speed Dial and O2 sensor for Hayabusa

OB_KawAbuser

Registered
Well here we go again, has anyone tried a built in O2 sensor to tune their bike?

There seems to be a definate lack of Dyno's with gas analyzers in this country, so AIM RACING's Speed Dial and Oxygen Sensor may be worth taking a look at.

The unit is supplied with a stainless steel adapter for the O2 unit as a weld in piece fo rthe pipe with a dash mount gauge. The Speed dial allows for on the fuel injection changes. We would like to hear from others with the same products, and I will keep you posted as to the results.

Titanium pipe owners, we are looking into the ti adapter as well :)

...I Repeat...you back alraedy!? You faster than I thought! When head out tomarrow? Beat wife home dogs happy every body happy! Wheeeee!(wanna go to Bear Mountain?)

[This message has been edited by Hapo (edited 30 October 1999).]

what do you think differant fuels will do to this kind of test?

if this o2 sensor will let you make adjustments, then i'd say this would probably be something good to check into

Some useful info for those who want to do up a temporary "poor mans" O2 calibration unit....

O2 sensors are calibrated to put out 500mv(1/2 volt for you non-enginners :) ) with a 14.7:1 air fuel ratio. You must use a high-impedance (digital) voltmeter to measure this voltage. An O2 sensor must be heated to about 600 degrees F. to read properly. Under 700 degrees can cause them to carbon up easily. You get around this problem by buying a three wire heated sensor.

So... with an O2 unit from a junk yard, a $20 digital meter from radio shack, and a chart of air/fuel ratio voltages, you can experiment with this setup for little cost.

[This message has been edited by Turbo (edited 01 November 1999).]

I would like to get speed dial for my Busa. I have trouble remembering all those numbers and it's a ***** to dial at 180 mph.

Lyle, O2 sensors mount into the exhaust system and measure the amount of oyxgen in the exhaust gas, putting out a corresponding voltage.

An excellent book on the subject is:
Understanding Automotive Electronics by William B. Ribbens, SAMS

Turbo
Pardon my ignorance.
I assume that you put the sensor in the exhaust pipe. I ask this because a 14.7 fuel to air seems high for an exhaust pipe. If it goes into the intake manifold how do you arrange that?

This is the stuff I like to tinker with. If I can get it to produce meaningful numbers I will mail it to other members for the cost of postage. Then we can compare numbers and learn useful stuff about our engines.

Lyle - The O2 sensor must be at least 600 degrees and preferably 700 degrees or hotter to put out an accurate reading. Make sure the piece of pipe you slip over the end gets this hot, it might be too far downstream. You could borrow the oven thermometer from your mom/girlfriend/wife and measure. Most of these go up to 600 degrees. If the needle gets pegged, you ok.

Turbo... Got it. My Fluke scopemeter has a temperature attachment. A graph of temp vs millivolts or RPM vs millivolts is do-able. It even has a pc attachment to make .jpg files after the test. It would be very cool to clamp the pipes with sensors to the tailpipes, bungee the scopemeter to the back seat, put it in record mode and wind the bike up through the gears. How does fuel air mixture change from 1st to 6th? Answer a few ramair questions? Perhaps even a way to tune for ramair ? A techno-nerd's bliss.

O2 sensors are located after the collector, usually in the s-bend section of the pipe as per all info I have gathered so far.

I agree Kaw but if Lyle's idea works it would mean not having to drill and tap your pipe. Just clamp a short piece of pipe with the sensor on the end cap when you want to test.

The speed dial lets you make the changes from the handlebars on the fly. It is a neat idea but we will not know till my s-bend appears with the threaded female adapter sometime next week.

Another ignorant question, doesn't the Busa itself have an O2 sensor. If yes where? We could tap in to it's wire fairly simply. I'll go check that article.

The article about fuel/air sensor is excellent. Where do you guys find this stuff. I would rather use my scopemeter and get graphs of rpm/fuel-air ratios than use simple led's.

Kawabuser let us know how your idea works out. Also what's its cost.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 03 November 1999).]

Turbo. I'll try to make time to visit my friendly junk yard. To my imagination all I need is a sensor, a piece of pipe to slip over the Busa's tailpipe (2 ??) and a multimeter? Perhaps a 12 volt source to power the sensor ?

If this works it could be a really slick way to tune my bike. I wonder if the typical cage sensor's are sensitive enough.

I get my "bliss" more conventional ways than tinkering with tailpipes guys.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 03 November 1999).]

Back