Speed camera foe buys Tenn. city's police website

For those who do not want to click:

BLUFF CITY, Tenn. — After a Tennessee police department let its website expire, the site was snatched up by a new owner - a man who uses it to gripe about traffic cameras that issue speeding tickets.

Computer network designer Brian McCrary says he discovered the Bluff City Police Department site was up for grabs, so he paid domain provider Go Daddy for the rights to http://www.bluffcitypd.com.

McCrary, who says he received a $90 speeding citation earlier this year, took over the site May 22.

His site now shows a smiling cartoon police badge clutching green currency. It also posts gripes from others who've been cited.

Police Chief David Nelson said the officer who managed the site had been on medical leave and the expiration slipped up on the department.

Pretty funny. Those cameras are just there to make money for the city. They are taking down all the photo radar cameras on the freeways here in Arizona. The mobile vans are going away also.

The funniest part, it is 5 minutes from me. Just goes to show you how "sharp" people are around here. How hard is it to "auto-renew" your domain name, lol.

The funniest part, it is 5 minutes from me. Just goes to show you how "sharp" people are around here. How hard is it to "auto-renew" your domain name, lol.

You can actually set it to auto-renew so this never happens.

Follow the golden rule!

"...and the expiration slipped up on the department" ???

Wow, somebody must have been on L-O-N-G medical leave, it takes months for a domain to expire enough that somebody else can register it.

"...and the expiration slipped up on the department" ???

Wow, somebody must have been on L-O-N-G medical leave, it takes months for a domain to expire enough that somebody else can register it.

Well not so much anymore, but they will send you about 25 warnings up to 4 months ahead of time that it is expiring. So if they didn't act in that time period, they weren't going to. It is only an issue now because someone is making them look stupid.

Yea Whitele, that is what I was saying. The auto renew feature is an extremely easy way to make sure that doesn't happen. I didn't mean my statement to seem like a question. :laugh:

Back