Special delivery today

megawatt

Registered
forks.jpg

It was a three week turn around time to have my forks overhauled by LE.  Total cost including UPS was $670, $600 to LE and $70 to UPS.

New 1.0 kg/mm springs replacing the stock .85 kg/mm to support my 210 riding weight
New seals
Sikolene oil 5#
Valve shimms
4 new pinch bolts

I will be able to provide a real before and after evaluation because I did a trackday on 22 March with a copy of my track times on hand.  I have another trackday at the same track on 26 of this month and I can compare the lap times before and after fork mod.

LE was easy to get a hold of every time I called.  I spend a few minutes talking to Mr. Lindemann and not a salesman.  You can read their website, http://www.le-suspension.com/  check out their about page.  I thought it was genius when he asked if I had a gun case.  I asked why?  That is how they recommend to ship the forks; they do that all the time.  Kind of makes since, come to think of it.

GPsuspension, and Race tech all ran about the same $$ for the rebuild.  But in my case it was talking to a cool relaxed guy that did not try to sell me anything.  

I had a chase bike follow me on the last track day and you can see how unsettled the Busa was under hard braking and turning.  Under hard riding it was like riding a boat in the water the way the suspension was trying to settle down after turning, braking and accelerating.  As a result I could not go WOT on the straights because I needed plenty of room to slow down and let the suspension settle out before making the 90 degree right turn #1.  So I believe my lap times will be much better with the mod.  I still have the stock rear but maybe that comes later.  I will decide if I want to keep some of the stickers on the forks then.

I will make a report on the 30th.

congrats, this is something i want to do this year...looking forward to your report
beerchug.gif

your description of the "before" sounds like mine... I had the 1.10 springs however... I have one problem... now the rear needs done... the front is rock solid and the back end feels wishywashy...

Nice. I just had mine done by Traxx Dynamics for about same price and the improvement was phenomenal. Same thing with no sales pitch, actual advise on the best setup for my personal usage, even though it wasn't the most expensive option they offer. I haven't done any track days so no real test with times, but the feel on the road has been extensively improved.

Good idea about the gun case.
thumb_up.gif

VMan posted a long while ago about the importance of a well tuned suspension. He was on target.
beerchug.gif

IT simply amazes me how folks will spend thousands on other mods and complete ignore the stock suspension. I was a nay-sayer for years about suspension mods but after one ride with a properly set up suspension, I am a advocate for suspension work.

Congrats on the LE forks, I know they do excellent work from the reports I have read.

One of the first mods I had done. Racetech/GMD rebuild and Penske rear.

Night and Day from stock
thumb_up.gif

Latah..

First ride report, city/highway riding today. LE said the way I receive the forks the adjustments should be near perfect. I put them on and found my sag with me on the bike was at 38mm, just like they recommend (+/- 2mm). So I did not even have to touch the preloads on top. They knew it was Busa, I told them my weight and they set the preload adjustments before it left the shop. Those guys know their stuff.

Those new springs really snap the suspension back up after hitting a bump in the road. Nose dives are not anywhere near what it was compared to stock setup. The LE set up sheet has the compression damping at 8 clicks out, rebound at 18 clicks out. I told them I wanted better forks for "track days" so I am not touching any adjustments till after the 26th trackday and my first session. Since that is what they set them up for. I know a local "suspension guru" will be at the track that day so I can use his expertise if I need to.

I would say the suspension is "snappier" and A LOT quicker than before. Is it worth $670...well I will let my lap times do the talking. I will ride at my usual 75% and we will see what the times come out to be.

Nice. I just had mine done by Traxx Dynamics for about same price and the improvement was phenomenal. Same thing with no sales pitch, actual advise on the best setup for my personal usage, even though it wasn't the most expensive option they offer. I haven't done any track days so no real test with times, but the feel on the road has been extensively improved.  

Good idea about the gun case.
thumb_up.gif

VMan posted a long while ago about the importance of a well tuned suspension. He was on target.  
beerchug.gif
Excellent idea to store or ship your shocks in a gun case... it works for me...

DSC08931.jpg

Well I lowered my lap times by 5 seconds on the same track, honestly without even trying to better my lap times. And that track day there was wind gusts up to 40mph so speeds on the fast parts were down to 135mph for me. It was kinda hard to go that fast on a right hand sweeper and fight the wind trying to blow you down on your right side.

The best evaluation I can share with you is when I was talking with my friend at the track and I told him that I did not even notice the suspension during the turns. We both figured if I am not paying attention to the suspension and concentrating on the track then it must be good suspension. So the mod definitely made this track day the funnest I ever had out of 4 so far. I was able to go faster, with a better comfort level.
knee2.jpg
turn2.jpg

Back