Speaking of snow - SERIOUS WARNING

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I was over at someones house last night dropping something off. Got to talking to the husband who is a fireman.

He told me of something that happened last week that is just sad.

I am a pretty cautious person. Almost to the point of paranoid (always looking for escape routes, if I see a knife in the kitchen that is laying a certain way where someone could accidently get cut I notice it and correct it, if I am walking up stairs with scissors I make sure to hold them a certain way so if I fall I don’t stab myself) etc.

While this might seem like an ate up way to live, it doesn’t really affect me to the extent that anyone really notices (much lol).

I shared this part of me for one reason, what tragic event happened I could never have imagined and it shocked me that I had never thought about it.

Up in one of our ski resorts there were three girls sleeping in the car with the car running to keep warm. I think the girls ages were like 17, 21 and 22

While they were sleeping with the engine running it started to snow. It snowed pretty hard where the car was covered in snow. It also piled up around the outside of the car above the bottom of the car.

So with a snow barrier around the bottom of the car, and open space under the car, the underside of the car filled with carbon monoxide from the exhaust of the running car. Eventually the fumes became strong enough were it entered the car and as the girls slept they were over came by the exhaust fumes and died.

I mean as a parent how fricken many of us are going to tell our kids

“now when you go skiing today make sure that if you fall asleep you have an alarm that goes off in case it starts to snowâ€￾

I mean wtf. I have slept in cars numerous times in cold weather, with snow falling. I could never imagined that scenario.

Anyway, I know a lot of you out there live in areas of snow, and maybe those of you that do already are aware of this and think it is common sense and stupid of my to bring it up.

But I live in California and to be honest, never heard of this ever happening before, shocked about it and very sad for the girls and their familys

Found a link to a new article

3 Young Women Die in Squaw Valley Parking Lot | NBC Bay Area

Ron,

You need to get more often :poke:

Need to get WHAT more often?

If you are saying I need to get IT more often. I aint going there..

If you are saying I need to get OUT more often.. well you know the story behind that. I have roughly another 8 years minimum before I can get out :banghead:

:laugh:

If you are saying I need to get OUT more often.. well you know the story behind that. I have roughly another 8 years minimum before I can get out :banghead:

Get "out" more often :laugh:

It can be very dangerous in snow country...never a good idea to sleep in a vehicle with the engine running.

...and don't barbeque indoors.
...and don't run your generator indoors.
...and don't run your car in your garage with the door shut.
...and don't run a hose from your exhaust into your car and leave the windows up.

Carbon Monoxide is a biatch! :rulez:

LMAO.....he prolly had ment both.

I would have not thought it would get under the car unless they had an exhaust leak. very sad.

The theory is that they had went out to watch it snow as they were all new employees at the resort and were boarding there during the ski season. The CO is what put them to sleep.

If suddenly everyone is getting headaches and getting groggy and giddy it's time to get some fresh air as that is a tell tale sign of CO posioning. Could be comming from a waterheater, furnace or whatever.

Back