Spark plugs

SierraFlyer

Registered
Need you guy's help!  I am changing the plugs later this week and am wondering what brand, type and heat range you run? The spec looks like resistor types, but can we run platinums instead of copper core?

Please advise.......................

Did you look into others? I don't know if they are available yet, just throwing out here for ideas from other wrench turners in the group. No need to reinvent something.
What I am driving at is copper plugs errode quickly and change gap. That changes tuning and may cause missing, etc. Platinum plugs can go forever without changing gap and therefore need less maintenance. Unless the ECU can't work correctly without stock plugs, I might try them. That is if they are available...

Did you look into others? I don't know if they are available yet, just throwing out here for ideas from other wrench turners in the group. No need to reinvent something.
What I am driving at is copper plugs errode quickly and change gap. That changes tuning and may cause missing, etc. Platinum plugs can go forever without changing gap and therefore need less maintenance. Unless the ECU can't work correctly without stock plugs, I might try them. That is if they are available...
I just got a set of irridium plugs, but they are EXPENSIVE, read $11 EACH. I heard they are awesome and increase HP...

I heard that irridium where good plugs but I don't know anyone that has used them except for on the track . Let me know how they perform for you . I changed mine at 7000 and i'm about to change again .

I'm just short of 12k miles on my normal busa. I was thinking of saving the irridiums for my turbo... Things suck right now trying to figure out which one to keep!

I didn't want to cough up $40+ dollars, so I went with standard issue. I may have needed the hotter plugs though. We'll see after a day a Sears Point raceway in Sonoma, CA! Track day will get the engine good and hot.

I changed the plugs at 4100 miles, which is probably early but since I had the the tank up anyway...............

Also installed the 1/5 turn throttle mod. That was money well spent. Very natural feel to it.

I'm just short of 12k miles on my normal busa.  I was thinking of saving the irridiums for my turbo...    Things suck right now trying to figure out which one to keep!

Life is sooooo rough.
sarcasm.gif

Yea Juggler, can you feel my pain? Actually my friend kind of twisted my arm to go. Its a cornering school. I need the help.....

This is the spark plug dicussion, BUT I did post the 1/5th turn throttle mod under "Modifications". Have you noticed that if you twist the throttle full open, it takes more movement than your wrist can bend? This mod changes the ratio of the throttle so that you can go from off to full throttle without breaking your wrist - actually just a 1/5th of a turn. I think stock is more than 1/4th of a rotation. That post has the link to the guy who makes it.

This is the spark plug dicussion, BUT I did post the 1/5th turn throttle mod under "Modifications". Have you noticed that if you twist the throttle full open, it takes more movement than your wrist can bend? This mod changes the ratio of the throttle so that you can go from off to full throttle without breaking your wrist - actually just a 1/5th of a turn. I think stock is more than 1/4th of a rotation. That post has the link to the guy who makes it.
Please post the link, that sounds like a good mod.

Best plug for the buck are the stock plugs. Irridium are great for slightly modded bike. If you are running a Turbo you may want to run a slightly cooler plug or stock. No hotter.

Glad to hear it Ninja Eater, thats what I did. Just plain cheap I guess. The reason I was considering the others is that the interval between sparkplug cleaning and gapping can be doubled or tripled. The less number of times the plugs are out the less chance of cross threading the plug in the head and buggering up the threads. If the Iridium plugs are anything like platinums, then they should out last the bike without changing gap due to electrode errosion. 20K miles between servicing plugs? maybe more.

Hi Doc,

here is the link you asked for:

http://www.brgracing.com/fithturnthrotle.html

The mod is completely reversable by taking the new cam out and adjusting the cables at the throttle body. I guess you can get any ratio between stock and the mod by sanding down the cam a little. That is if the mod is too radical as is. The total out of pocket is less than 30 bucks. So it is not a terrible loss if you can't stand it. Just take it out.

Back