Spark Plugs which ones?

manatrader

Donating Member
Registered
Time to change my spark plugs again and was wondering if I should just go stock again or try something else. What plug are you running?

I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Honda turbo's and I feel there is nothing better. The original plugs were NGK Gold Palladium that required replacement every 2000 miles as stated in the owners manual and Honda charges about $8 bucks a plug. A normal spark plug won't last 50 miles in those bikes.

The new Iridiums sell for the same price and will easily last 3 times longer. When it comes time for new plugs for my Busa I'll be going with the Iridiums. In that engine they should last damn near forever.

I just did my 7500 mile service and changed the plugs. I wasn't going to, the bike is running purrrr-fect. The plugs were chocolate brown, no apparent wear, gap still at .28. I just replaced with the stock NGK cr9e's at $4 a whack. I may go with the iridium next time, I think they are about twice the price as stock.

Does anyone happen to know what the actual number is for the NGK Iridiums. Service time has come.

Nevermind guys, found them. Here it is for anybody else who wants to know. I accidently copied too much info. But they are not cheap.

GSXR1300 Hayabusa 1999-2003 CR9EIX Iridium 14.28

but then again I did a search on Ebay 4 for 25 bucks......
biggrin.gif

I just did my 7500 mile service and changed the plugs. I wasn't going to, the bike is running purrrr-fect. The plugs were chocolate brown, no apparent wear, gap still at .28. I just replaced with the stock NGK cr9e's at $4 a whack. I may go with the iridium next time, I think they are about twice the price as stock.
Nearly word for word, had nearly the same experience.

Careful taking that little clippy off the top of the plug. I broke the 3rd one from the left when I was working on mine and had to make a new one out of some piano wire.

--Wag--

This is where I buy all my spark plugs from:

http://www.clubplug.net/

They have the best prices by far but it usually takes a little over a week to get the order since they are located in Canada.

The current price for the plugs jmaz listed is only $7.23 each.
If you want to save a little more do a usenet search for that website. The owner usually posts in motorcycle and car groups and gives a discount code you can enter while placing your order. It's usually good for a few dollars off your total order.

Also note that you will not get any noticable performance gains from these (or any) plugs. They will however out last any plug on the market many times over and can take any kind of performance mods you throw at them.

I hear you moondog, my bike is running great so I'm not sure I even want to touch them, but it sounds like the NGK Iridium is the way to go so far.

I took my plugs out this weekend, airbox was on there tight a little too tight. Suzuki really needs to rethink how the gas tank attaches too. If they allowed the swing pin to come out it would only take a couple minutes to get the tank off. I had 10000 miles on my plugs they looked fine, could have gone another 10000 miles for sure. Lesson here is if the bike is running fine and you have 15000 or less miles on your plugs you most likely do not have to replace them.

Well I got my iridiums in the mail on saturday. Will install next time it is nice outside.

I was just thinking in cars you have those after market distrubeters that add more power is there anything like that for the busa or motorcycles in general?

Well it is 51 degrees out right now...I say install will happen tonight and also I will start measuring and designing the frame sliders tonight....as long as it stays like it is because I have to ride the bike to the shop....

John

Nevermind guys, found them.  Here it is for anybody else who wants to know.  I accidently copied too much info.  But they are not cheap.

GSXR1300 Hayabusa 1999-2003 CR9EIX Iridium 14.28

but then again I did a search on Ebay 4 for 25 bucks......
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the info....

smile.gif

Just to let everyone know those spark plugs I bought are awesome. I noticed a huge difference. And my original plugs were really not that old, 5600 miles on them. But the idle was so much smoother and it seems to hold up better at higher revs. No hesitation...Seems to me the best 30 bucks I've spent in a while.

John

I wish I noticed more, but since I was in there no way I was going to not replace them. To be fair I have not had a chance to really test them out either. It has started to rain again every day, back to that old Washington weather.

How do you get the ignition coil plug out?
It seems to be sitting very tight in my -01 Busa.
- Jsalok, Finland-

All I did was uplug the clip coming in to it. Gripped my finger around it and pulled like hell straight up....Didn'thave a problem....You can on this project by putting a little sparkplug grease to keep the plug dry and it not corode meaning a longer for happy live for spark plugs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

John

biggrin.gif

Back