spark plug question guys.

shogun

Registered
hey guys im going to change the spark plugs on my busa. im pretty sure theres not much to it, but does anyone here have any advice or things i should be carefull of while doing so? thanks:beerchug:

Replace them ONE at a time. Do not pull all 4 off then try to figure out which end goes where. Other than that, pretty easy

thank you. im glad i aked cuz i would of probably pulled them all out. i thought all of them were the same. 4 in a line and it doesnt matter which one goes to which cylinder. are the plugs numbered or something?

the short version: (figures you can get to them in the first place)

Remove coil towers and blow out holes (at least inspect for rocks, they CAN be waiting to fall in)
Remove plugs one at a time and inspect old plug
Remove new plug from box, remove protective cover, inspect gap.. (if electrodes are parallel, you are likely just fine

A SMALL dab of anti-seize on threads (photo below)
Torque per specs.. Loose spark plugs can kill a motor, they overheat and turn into glow plugs.. (pinging) Over tighten and you may pull threads or damage something else

Note parallel gap between electrodes... (this is good)
DSC_0376.jpg

Note dab of anti seize.. (KEEP OFF PORCELAIN and ELECTRODES!!!)

DSC_0379.JPG

blow out the dust and debris that could have accumulated in there before removing the plug.

torque spec
11 nm or 8.0 lb-ft (usually about a 1/4 turn after gasket contacts)

thank you. im glad i aked cuz i would of probably pulled them all out. i thought all of them were the same. 4 in a line and it doesnt matter which one goes to which cylinder. are the plugs numbered or something?

The cylinders fire in a particular order, it's not 1-2-3-4 (I'm not sure what it is, but it isn't 1-2-3-4 for sure). Having the right plug wire on the right plug is paramount.

and to echo what the others said, the plug is deep down inside there. Small rocks, dust, leaves, etc. can get stuck on top of the plug. Blow it out with compressed air BEFORE you take the old plug out.

Also, do NOT overtighten the new plug. If you break it, ouch. Use the torque specs above.

Good luck! It's easy once you do it the first time.

you definitely DO NOT have to do them ONE at a time. there is no chronological order, and the coils can go on any cylinder. I do agree 100% with Mr. Bogus tho. but if there is any concern, as you pull the coil packs, just lay them right on top of the rubber guard next to the cylinder you pulled it from. DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS!!!!

on a side note, the best plug tool so far seems to be the one in the tool kit for most..

Ok, then I stand corrected. My technical skills were honed by working on ancient machinery and my old-stand-by of one plug wire at a time is rather pervasive in my mind. I use air tools only to blow away the dirt BTW, never use airtools to remove/tighten torqued items.

Ok, then I stand corrected. My technical skills were honed by working on ancient machinery and my old-stand-by of one plug wire at a time is rather pervasive in my mind. I use air tools only to blow away the dirt BTW, never use airtools to remove/tighten torqued items.

i think your biggest confusion is in the "plug wire" area, as busa's do not have plug wires. they have individual coils with attaching leads and the leads can only reach there counterpart cynlinder

Just do 'em one at a time. If you have all of them opened up and have something fall in there, you're screwed.

--Wag--

Best thing to do first is crack open a six pack.

:D

--Wag--

hey i was just worndering if spark plugs from a suzuki gsxr 750 would work on my 03 busa please if any one knows

Follow Mr. Bogus' advice, excellent advice. You definitely want to make sure there is no debris waiting to fall into the cylinders.

Putting anti-sieze compound will make sure they don't seize up later and make it easy to remove them.

Taking the plugs out one at a time and inspecting them as you take them out will allow you to see if there is any potential problems with each cylinder. If you take them all out then inspect them, you could loose the order.

Definitely use a torque wrench to tighten them up properly.

You can't go wrong with his advice!!

Back