spark plug mileage

bruce j

Registered
I have misplaced my owners manual.can anybody tell me what mileage to change plugs on my 08??thanks in advance

The manual says 7,500 miles.

However they are iridiums which last up to 100,000 miles in cars.

I put a set in at 7,500 miles and now have 26,000 on the bike with no plans of changing out that second set of plugs anytime soon.

He's right, and I have been letting them go over 20K and really wonder why I change them then

Interesting topic I say myself, the Japanese manufacturers do say every 7500 miles even for a long range tuned Kawi Concours. I have been asking this very question at bike shops around Austin and after a lot of hesitation I get responses like well the old plugs will still work but you may lose some performance! okay how much I wonder - No one knows. The newest update I have just read is in the May 2015 edition "Cycle World" magazine p.79 it says essentially that you will have a recommended "valve adjustment" every 15000 miles, so you might as well go and replace the spark plugs too, mainly due to the fact that although they may be fine at 8000 miles or so, they may not last until 15000 without noticeable wear! meaning they will wear out enough to replace before 15000 miles so if you go ahead and replace them in the middle- it would be the optimum time to do so. They go on to add that "your bikes engine is a virtual racehorse compared to a pick-up truck with the following:
- larger operating temperature swings
- higher cylinder pressures
- much higher RPM's dictate the plugs just don't last as long
The center electrode wears down in these tough conditions, even with the best plugs."

So there we have it from Cycle World. I would like to see some real data on this subject though and not just that I should do it just because.
The Busa OEM plugs are NGK Laser Iridiums "CR9EIA-9" that cost $17 each and over $70 for a set of plugs, so it would be nice to fully understand the wear intervals.

Reactions: Zee
My 07 gsxr said feed me new plugs last time at the track....she sounded like a Ducati. New plugs and she's running on all four again. I've got a little over ten thousand on the odo

I just pulled the original plugs out at 14000. Turns out they are iridium densco. I have no dyno numbers it no longer has the jerky parking lot cruise at idle. So I know it runs better, but I will have to post back with mpg numbers.

Also I put njk iridium this time around.

The 7500 miles was a general figure to cover all sorts of riding and climates...iridium plugs hate damp lay ups etc...the stock plugs in the Bking i had ate plugs like sweets until I fitted NGK non-iridium ones....they were fine for the rest of the year or so til I sold it.
The tip on iridium plugs is so tiny that any corrosion or dirt seriously effects their performance.

I don't get the ridiculously short interval for the Hayabusa spark plug changes.

I had a 2001 Blackbird for 14 years that used NGK Iridium spark plugs and I changed them according to the Honda Service Manual. 32,000 miles.

Can't understand how plugs that last 32,000 miles in a Blackbird are only good for 7,500 miles in a Hayabusa.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I spoke with a mechanic at a mega bike dealer in Austin TX and it's safe to say he has been working on and riding all types of cycles for a long time, he says that for someone that loves performance like me that realistically 16,000 miles is about right for spark plugs and to stay with "iridiums".

This also is when we should all be getting our valves done anyway and while the bike is taken apart, throw some new plugs in there!
I'm thinking too- a throttle body sync for EFI gen 2 busa's too & Maybe a cylinder inspection!
Oil filter/ air filter (hey the fairing is already off) Coolant perhaps (I prefer every 30,000 for Suzuki long life coolant), so coolant is every other valve job.

While I'm on maintenance & servicing I will finish up on oil changes. If we don't do nothing else- please change your oil... I have run (and continue to use) conventional since I purchased my bike new and I dump it every 2000 miles "period" since the maintenance package with the dealership ran out. I change the oil filter every 3rd oil change at 6000 miles (give or take depending on when the fairing gets removed). That is actually more often than the owners manual recommends and about par for cars and trucks as far as the filter is concerned. Don't listen to the service manuals on torque specs, watch Del-Boys garage on you-tube; it's so simple, just a bit past snug! small bit!

I have put a lot of research on the info above and spoken with many experts about the maintenance chart. Thanks for reading!!!:welcome:

Reactions: Zee
modern ois are safe to 6000 miles road use...onl track riding hurts it....so chill out on the oil changes...i just do it annually as long as ive done over 4000 miles...otherwise every 2 years...regardless of mileage done

I don't get the ridiculously short interval for the Hayabusa spark plug changes.

I had a 2001 Blackbird for 14 years that used NGK Iridium spark plugs and I changed them according to the Honda Service Manual. 32,000 miles.

Can't understand how plugs that last 32,000 miles in a Blackbird are only good for 7,500 miles in a Hayabusa.

32,000 miles makes sense! 7,500 miles is the same change interval as my 1982 GS650 with regular spark plugs and a weaker ignition.

I change my plugs every year on my 09 and I put on around 10K a year. I can hear the difference in idle and the bike runs smoother on the low end and with more urgency up top when the plugs are changed. I clean my K&N at the same time. I have cleaned my K&N out of cycle and not heard or felt the difference in the idle or smoothness that I do with a plug change.

I figure it's a good time to check the plugs for oil fouling or any other problems. Plugs can loosen on the gen 2s when torqued to spec also. Seen it happen on mine twice and read it on other posts so I torque them and then give them a bit more by hand. AF definition of "tighten securely". As long as the airbox is off it's a good time to check out the TBs , wiring and hoses. I also wipe everything down I can reach because a clean bike is a happy bike.

Now, is it worth 40 bucks to get that smoothness at idle????? Is the performance difference worth it. How about peace of mind that everything is uptight under there? Depends on your wallet and preference.

As for oil, I run synthetic and follow the manual. I may push a bit past the interval because the synth oil gives me leeway to do so.

Back