Spark plug life.

04HappyBus

Registered
Good evening everyone.

I was running down the maintenance schedule tonight and noticed I have almost 7500 miles on my 04 model. It calls for changing the spark plugs at this time.

How many of you have pulled the plugs at 7500 and found they needed replacement? I usually do plugs during the winter months.

The other reason I'm hesitant to do this right now is the soft screw heads that are used on the manifold clamp screws. My screws are cranked down exceptionally tight, the first crank of my screwdriver and there is already play between the driver bit and screw head threads. I don't want to hose the end of the fall riding season by stripping out the screw head and sitting around waiting for a replacement and having a loose manifold clamp.

The bike is still running exceptionally well, 40 mpg, smooth everywhere. Thoughts?

Welcome 04HappyBus...I am still happy after three seasons on mine.. .....
[pun intended]  Plugs...Hmm somehow i spaced it when the owners manual said
to change um at 7,500...I ran mine to 16,000K   and they did not look bad at all.
I did replace them then..Maybe runs a little bit crisper.....Did i say she runs real sweet all the time...
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|PaceMaster
Reason for Edit: "Spelling error"|1095210926 -->

Recent_Ride.JPG

Hey that is great news. I won't worry about the plugs until winter offers up ample time to extract them. Thanks for the speedy reply!

Yeah I changed mine at 8498, they were fine. You are right though, those phillps screw heads are pretty soft. Probable need to order some new-ones from Ron in the future. Also, when ya do triple check that yah got the rubber spacer on cylinders 2 and 3 back on all the way. I managed to have number 3 suckin air.

Changed around 11,000 when the bike wouldn't start! Plugs looked fine, replaced under a friends recommendation and Wahla problem gone! Now I follow the book to the "T"

Mileage can vary quite a bit depending on "how" you ride and how you have modified your bike.

I'm more the smooth cruising type, 3rd or 4th gear, lots of 50-70 mph county roads and not a lot of interstate. I have seen 50 miles/gallon on a long freeway stint during an interstate trip with the bike in 6th gear at 75 mph, and as low as 33-34 miles/gallon when I got clogged in some traffic on a warm summer day. I still have a stock setup (no pipe, stock air cleaner, no fuel injection mods). I feed my bike 90 octane fuel. After 8,500 miles (so far) this season I'm averaging 38-40 miles/gallon.

Back