spark plug heat ranges?

trevor

Registered
:dunno:In the manual it lists normal, high and low temp ranges for the spark plugs.What dictates the heat range that I should use?If I have a rs3 single exaust and pc3 should I change to a hotter or colder plug?Or should I just stick with the normal range?

Hey Trevor,
The heat range of a spark plug refers to the ability of a plug to conduct heat from itself. The reason someone may choose to run a colder plug would be because they are running nitrous, turbocharger, or high mechanical compression ratio all of which raise cylinder pressure substantially. What you (and I because I have the same exhaust and PC3) are running is done in an attempt to increase volumetric efficiency which causes a raise in cylinder pressure however the changes made by this are not substantial enough to warrant the need to run colder plugs. Now if you had an engine running high cylinder pressures and are going to parade your car (or bike in this situation) you may choose to run a hotter plug to avoid the plug from fouling because the combustion chamber is not hot enough to burn all the fuel and the plug fouls out. Hope this helps and this is a quick overview (others may want to add) however, ride not in fear, you will not ruin your bike. Talk to you later,
"O"

Back