Spare Parts

Racer 222

The rider formerly known as Howlin_Mad
Donating Member
Registered
OK I was thinking (Scary thing for a Marine) that we should organize all of our spare parts. I know I have things that I will never use in the garage and would donate to a needy owner of this forum in good standing. The way I was thinking to organize this was to have a spread sheet. List who has what and what they are asking for it. Then the needy party contacts the "Parts Master" and he in turn lets them know who has it and what they are asking for it (price or free)

Thinker let me know what you think... I am sure you will have input on this one!

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Sounds like a good alternative to E-Bay. As i have no parts to get rid of at the moment, can't say i will be much help until turbo is installed. And, that will yeild only a few extra parts. Like i said about the "fund" idea. Sounds like a plan.

OK I was thinking (Scary thing for a Marine) that we should organize all of our spare parts.  I know I have things that I will never use in the garage and would donate to a needy owner of this forum in good standing.  The way I was thinking to organize this was to have a spread sheet.  List who has what and what they are asking for it.  Then the needy party contacts the "Parts Master" and he in turn lets them know who has it and what they are asking for it (price or free)  

Thinker let me know what you think...  I am sure you will have input on this one!

Marc "Howlin Mad"
LOL...no seriously, LOL.

Actually it sounds like a good idea. I have stuff that I would be willing to sell or give away. However, as with all good ideas, it spells work, and usually the guy with the idea just vouluteered.

Marc this would be a different forum than "classified"? My contribution is : I still have my stock exhaust system and should make room in the garage... I brought it cause I wasnt sure if Cal smog guy would make me put it back on, but the busie passed with flting colors and I dont plan on putting the old system back on.

I have no problem compiling the list. Sure its a little bit of work but not as much as Capt and the other admins put in on this board. Just an idea. Hawaii do you think the classifieds section covers this one?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

hey marc....classifieds could cover this...BUT...what a pain in the azz. Lookin' thru hundreds of ads only to find what yer needin' ,and discover it was sold 8 months ago .
Awesome idea , I think . If you can float it by the site politicians , good luck .

Like I said just an idea...

Thinker doesn't seem to think to much of it so I guess i'll let it go.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I like the idea... And agree with RSD, searching through classifieds would suck compared to an alphabetized (anyway you like since it is a spreadsheet) Excel file.

If you need help with the Excel file, let me know.

Press on my brotha!

Like I said just an idea...

Thinker doesn't seem to think to much of it so I guess i'll let it go.  

Marc "Howlin Mad"
Hey now, first of all, I am a tiny fish in this here pond, so don't let my opinion drive anything. Secondly, I thought I said it was a good idea. Let me look to see what I said.

LOL...no seriously, LOL.

Actually it sounds like a good idea. I have stuff that I would be willing to sell or give away.  However, as with all good ideas, it spells work, and usually the guy with the idea just vouluteered. [/QUOTE]

I guess it was the LOL that may have led you to believe that I didn't think much of the idea. Actually, I was laughing because you probably expected a dissertation from me. I think I talk too much  
biggrin.gif

So what did I mean? I meant it when I said that it was a good idea, as was the crush fund. However, there was a warning in my comment. I have learned that many, many people will have opinions on how something like that should work, but few will actually jusm in and help make something work. So unless you are prepared to put it together, walk it thru, and manage it, it will never happen. Not being pessemistic, I have just learned how these things work.

If you are up for it Marc, go for it. What kind of help would you need?

Hmm...60 views, 9 comments. 3 from Marc and 2 from me. That leaves a cold 4 comments. If I were you, the first thing I would do is a poll to see if enough people would really support this.

Greg

i think this is a great idea...
as i start to do my mods on my bike. i am going to have parts available to add to this parts list.

First off Marc, let me say that that is a great idea. Secondly, I think that if we all brainstromed enough, we could find a way to keep this thing going. Check this out: We (or whoever) could set up a spreadsheet with different categories like: Free stuff, Less than $10 stuff, Less than $50 stuff, etc. This could be set up in the classifieds and have one of the admins set it up where it stays at the top of the page. Whomever the designee is who takes in the offer of goods can just simply update the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would also have the contact person's name, email address, phone number, actual price wanted (include shipping if needed), etc. Also a status column that says if the item is sold or available. This should be handled by two or maybe even three people. Only job would be to update the spreadsheet. I would be willing to lend a few minutes of my time to update the spreadsheet.

The only question I have is: Do we reserve "Free stuff" for board members only?
rock.gif
I would think that that would be considered a perk to allow only board members to receive free stuff if there's any free stuff available. Say for instance, in the case of FatJap, he should get first dibs on free stuff over anyone who doesn't normally post here. Just a thought. We also should have some basic criteria for getting itmes put on the sheet. Each submission of items should have name of contact person, item being submitted, email address, phone #, asking price (plus shipping), etc. The spreadsheet would also have a statement (for legal purposes) on it that says: that "This board or it's affiliates are not responsible for condition, yada yada yada, of items posted and will not be held liable...(legal jargon). I think this way it should fly without any negative consequences for anyone. I can see this idea working with 5 very solid attributes.

1. You can see all items in one place at one time. This would also enhance reaction time when ordering something (as with some items, every second of time wasted searching can be valuable)
2. Great way to build relationships among board members
3. No legal liabilty
4. Potential to save money (makes us all happy)
5. Will give post wh0res something to do...
laugh.gif
(just kidding)

Just my thoughts and opinions. Not trying to steal anyone's glory. This is Marc's idea and it sounds pretty cool to me.

Brian

I still think that it is a good idea, but have a couple of comments (see Marc, I have something to say). When I was compiling the Laguna Spreadsheet, I believe that I learned that we cannot post spreadsheets at this time. So how to display the information may be an issue. Secondly, Charles suggested that items could be organized by price. They may not be the best choice for primary organization because it would make it too difficult to search for a particular item. Instead, the primary organization (spreadsheet tabs) could have headings such as:
1. Windscreens
2. Seats
3. Fairing Components
4. Seat Cowls
5. Exhaust Components
6. Clothing
7. Helmets
8. Rims & Tires

Etc. then, each category could be sorted by price. Cheapest to most expensive.

So what are the problems/questions/issues
First, is an excel spreadsheet what we really want? Would it allow for pictures of the products to be included? Can we ctually post a spreadsheet?

Secondly, how to decide who is eligible to participate? Clearly, one would have to be a bord member, but would we want additional restrictions such as post #'s or length of time as a member?

Third, how to kept the spreadsheet current? When someone buys something, either the buyer or the seller would need to do something inorder to update the spreadsheet.

I think that if it was run correctly then this could be a big help to those fellow Busa owners that are in such need.
I have a few stock parts that I have taken off my 03 Busa. I am willing to donate them to good standing members of this sight. I have only had my Busa since Jan. 03 but I am an upstanding guy and know what it's like to be on hard times. (Thank god those hard times are behind me.)
Let me know how I can help and count me in.
Wayne
Houston, TX.

I would be most willing to give away the stock parts I compile. Not much at the moment but we all start somewhere...lol. We may only be able to get a whole bunch of stock parts together but hell, for someone who has laid their bike down it would be something for them to get it up and going again. I may not post every day but I am here reading and occasionally put in my 1/2 cent worth. Good info here and good peeps. Go with it man, you would have the support.

Wayne

... When I was compiling the Laguna Spreadsheet, I believe that I learned that we cannot post spreadsheets at this time. So how to display the information may be an issue. ...
Okay, you can upload .xls files in your upload center now.

The whole thing sounds like a great idea to me.. I'm pretty sure eventually I could build it into the site.. I won't have any time to do something like that until July or August but I know it can be done and it would be pretty sweet when it was finished. Until then, I would suggest using a spreadsheet.. possibly one of your fields being a URL to a pic or something. Reason being, when I get this thing built, I could simply import all the data from the spreadsheet into the database.

Thats my suggestion, if you guys come up with something different thats cool.. less work for me
smile.gif
. But if this is what you want, just give me a few months (I'll be out of town for the next 6 weeks or so..) and I'll try and get something working.

Why not?
rock.gif
?? I agree with the "ITEMS" list which would make searching easier. And i've got a couple of stock parts i'ld list.

I also agree that there should be some criteria for the free parts give away, but then again that would depend on the owner of the item. But, I can foresee people dropping by or joing the club just to accumulate the "FREE" parts

Good idea, I always have a bunch of stuff sitting around. Always a need for thart one missing item in a pinch also.

OK Marc, sounds like you have the support. Now the fun begins. I am not a computer person, so i didn't totally follow what Dust said. However, let me know if I can help. I have a pretty good handle on Excel.

Back