Spanking your child

Couple more things to add: I never spank him when I'm angry, and prior to any discipline, we talk about why he is being punished. He always knows the reason, in the hope that he won't make the same mistake twice.

Couple more things to add: I never spank him when I'm angry, and prior to any discipline, we talk about why he is being punished. He always knows the reason, in the hope that he won't make the same mistake twice.

sounds like the appropriate way to go if they don't know why then all the discipline in the world is pointless.

First, let me start out by saying Ken, I'm so sorry you had to go through that growing up. I can't imagine what that must have been like. What you describe is not spanking or discipline and is criminal. I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do.

I was fortunate I guess to come from a background of firm discipline but coupled with love. A spanking can be very effective if done properly (a child should never be hit across the face). If it's done right, you also don't have to do it very often. My father would always sit down with me afterwards and ask me if I knew why I had been spanked. He would also hug me and tell me that he loved me and it displeased him to spank me. I knew my spankings were not given to me out of anger. They still hurt my tail, but it did teach me about respect and consequences. In my opinion I believe a child that is not properly disciplined have little to no respect for others and can turn out to be a burden on society. The sad part is it's not the child's fault, but rather the parents. I also believe a parent can abuse a child with the words just as much as with their fists. The bottom line...your child will know the difference. You're not there to be their best friend, but rather be their parent.

Just my 2 cents.

'Refusing' to parent a child should carry the death penalty. Many of those that refused are directly responsible for events like Columbine and the Tacoma Mall shootings.

Everyone parent has a choice. Be a parent, or not. If you want to be a friend to your child, you are refusing to be a parent. Telling yourself anything different is lying to yourself at the expense of everyone around you and the people your children will affect in the future. This is why we have Generation "E" now. The "E" is for "Entitlement", for those who don't know.

If anything you have read in this post offends you, you must be guilty of not parenting. The truth can hurt.

+1000. I got my tail warmed more than once, but I can now admit I pretty much deserved it, and 'pain avoidance therapy' kept me out of a lot worse trouble that I regularly contemplated, because I knew the result when I got caught. I know for a FACT it directly kept me out of drugs (Pot) when I was a teenager because all I could think about was what my dad was gonna do if he found out I EVER even THOUGHT about trying it - So I didn't thank goodness! Going out and picking my own switch was torture. I remember my Dad crying after a switching - I've remembered that vividly for 40 years; didn't understand it then, but as a parent I do now.

Sometimes most boys need something a little stronger than a harsh gaze; agree NEVER should do it until you anger has expired. My daughter is too tender and senstive for a spanking; a glare is enough to make her cry so I think spanking her would damage her fragile psyche.

There is a big difference between abuse and discipline.

I to had a tuff childhood would have been better without the beltings so I promised myself that this is not the way I would raise my kids. I would give my boys the odd smack and stern talking to and as a result have 2 fine and upstanding young men who love and respect their parents and show respect to whoever they come in contact with:thumbsup:.....as for me I still get spanked.............woops wrong tread.:laugh:

I spanked my daughter when she was younger. She is a pretty good kid now. Some kids respond to other types of punishment some kids need some physical reminders once in a awhile. A pat on the tush or a smacked hand is not beating a child. If my daughter bit me, I bit her back, if she pulled my hair, I pulled hers back...she only did each of those things once. Because she then understood the pain the she had inflected. If you disipline them while you are in complete control of your emotions it should never come to the point of a beating. Just walk away...

My sister "talks" to her kids and refuses to even tap them on the bottom. They are Baddddd kids and will most likely continue to disrespect her and their father thru their teens. She told me she didnt approve of the way I disiplined my daughter and asked me not to spank her kids when I baby-sat them. I told her I would not longer baby-sit them anymore. Now they are three and five I am the only who has any control over the little monkeys and she is asking me for advice on her disrespectful children. I told her get them in line now because it is almost too late. Now that the kids beat the snot out of each other she has started being a little more agressive with their disipline. I hope it wasnt too late cause Id hate to have to beat the snot out of one of them when they are in their teens and disrespect their mom in front of me...:rulez:
:bowdown::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Because children learn through parental modeling, physical punishment gives the message that hitting is an appropriate way to express feelings and to solve problems. If a child does not observe a parent solving problems in a creative and humane way, it can be difficult for him to learn to do this himself. For this reason, unskilled parenting often continues into the next generation.

Gentle instruction, supported by a strong foundation of love and respect, is the only truly effective way to bring about commendable behavior based on strong inner values, instead of superficially "good" behavior based only on fear.

Back