Spanking your child

I'm sorry but I disagree, There is a difference in beating and spanking a child. I never got many spankings from my dad but MaMa whooped my but regularly. When Daddy whipped me, I didn't forget why. There's nothing that ticks me off worse than a child talking back to their parents. That's enough, I'm done.

A parent should be smart enough to control a child without hitting them.
Call spanking what ever you want, it is still hitting a child. If an adult strikes an adult it is a crime.

I took a right cross to the chops when I was about 6 years old..... i really don't remember much of anything else from that time in my life, I also I remember why I got that smack, I tried to kill my brother with a glass bottle( he was getting on my nerves):laugh:

Needless to say I didn't try to kill him anymore no matter how much he bugged me:laugh:. Ass kicking can sometimes get a message to stick with you....

My fahter used to beat me black and blue with a walking cane, he stopped when I was 14. I used to hate him, and promised myself, when I got older, I'd kill him by beating him to death.

I have forgiven him, and when I did get older, I changed that promise to, I will never strike another human in anger. A promise I have so far kept.

At the time I'm sure my father used all the rationaliztions provided in this thread.

When I see people backhand a child (or beat an animal) in public it fills me with a blind rage.

cheers
ken

I hate to hear someone was beat black and blue as a child.Please don't think a spanking and beating are the same thing,cause there not.A child properly disciplined will respect their parents,a child beat'n will hate their parents.A beat'n can also come from words.One thing I learned from my dad was how NOT to treat my kids.My boys thanked me for not treating them like my dad treated me.They're now 23 & 21,daughter 27[still my angel].I've earned their respect as a dad.And they was spanked when needed growing up.

ok ok whoa before we get all too serious here guys it was a joke and I'm pretty sure most people here understood it I don't want this to go there. Cmon kid on a windshield with a radar clocked at it's limit ha ha funny now that being said joke away. but for the record I had my @ss kicked when I went overboard as a kid but that's the era I grew up in Family straight from italy and i got the spoon and then my Father would come home. I am not condoning the absolute beating of any children, (Disclaimer no children were harmed in the making of this thread :laugh:).

I used to give my boys, now the ex's boys, one good swat on the butt for doing something that caused someone else risk of serious harm (like trying to kill each other with a stick). One swift goo pop was all it took to get the message across to them. I never raised a hand to them if I was mad. I would leave the house and come back after I had time to cool down. They got a good spanking coming when I got home. That only happen once. After I told them "I left because if I didn't I would have beaten you and not be able to stop because I was so mad." Any time after that if I left the house mad, they would run to their mother and tell her how sorry they are. She would send them to their rooms and tell them to explain to me what they did, and why it was wrong. I even used to send them to bed without dinner when they got big enough that a spanking didn't work. The ex would always give them dinner anyway. The Ex always told me I was to strict with them. Now they tell me they love me and we have a great time hanging out and doing things together, but they show the Ex no respect. They tell her right to her face that she can't make them do their chores or school work. They don't take her seriously if she threatens to discipline them because they know she won't follow through with any punishment.

It proved to me one very true statement. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." If you don't discipline your children, you will raise brats that have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. Disagree if you want, but it's true.

Kids who get spanked might grow up to dislike their parents. Kids who don't, grow up to be disrespectful punks who think they can do anything, and don't give a rat's ass about the life of another person.

Kids in a household where doth parents work is not much better. They will do everything that they know is bad because there is nobody there to tell them no. I have seen this happen with so many parents it no longer amuses me. Where do you think most young gang members come from? Both parent, or a single parent, is at work when the kids get out of school. What do the kids do during that time? Most of them do whatever the hell they want, and don't care about the results.

If you send your kids to daycare, you better know the values of the babysitter. They will be raising your kids with their values.

I used to give my boys, now the ex's boys, one good swat on the butt for doing something that caused someone else risk of serious harm (like trying to kill each other with a stick). One swift goo pop was all it took to get the message across to them. I never raised a hand to them if I was mad. I would leave the house and come back after I had time to cool down. They got a good spanking coming when I got home. That only happen once. After I told them "I left because if I didn't I would have beaten you and not be able to stop because I was so mad." Any time after that if I left the house mad, they would run to their mother and tell her how sorry they are. She would send them to their rooms and tell them to explain to me what they did, and why it was wrong. I even used to send them to bed without dinner when they got big enough that a spanking didn't work. The ex would always give them dinner anyway. The Ex always told me I was to strict with them. Now they tell me they love me and we have a great time hanging out and doing things together, but they show the Ex no respect. They tell her right to her face that she can't make them do their chores or school work. They don't take her seriously if she threatens to discipline them because they know she won't follow through with any punishment.

It proved to me one very true statement. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." If you don't discipline your children, you will raise brats that have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. Disagree if you want, but it's true.

Kids who get spanked might grow up to dislike their parents. Kids who don't, grow up to be disrespectful punks who think they can do anything, and don't give a rat's ass about the life of another person.

Kids in a household where doth parents work is not much better. They will do everything that they know is bad because there is nobody there to tell them no. I have seen this happen with so many parents it no longer amuses me. Where do you think most young gang members come from? Both parent, or a single parent, is at work when the kids get out of school. What do the kids do during that time? Most of them do whatever the hell they want, and don't care about the results.

If you send your kids to daycare, you better know the values of the babysitter. They will be raising your kids with their values.
This I do agree with the lack of any ability to discipline has created a very disrespectful generation because they have no fear of the consequences that befit certain situations.

Whipping my children seems terrible to some and although it hurts me as well and let me remind that they don't get anymore whippings... the early on ones worked. I tell them everyday that I love them and hug and hold them and I get the same in return and that is the best medicine I'll ever have. They certainly don't hate me and love their father and that is what gets me through life! Just my 2 cents worth. I realize there are many different ways to raise children... some work for some and some work for others. We simply don't need to beat and or mistreat them and love is what it's all about and no matter how it's applied, if it's love from the heart they will know it!

I'm sorry but I disagree, There is a difference in beating and spanking a child. I never got many spankings from my dad but MaMa whooped my but regularly. When Daddy whipped me, I didn't forget why. There's nothing that ticks me off worse than a child talking back to their parents. That's enough, I'm done.

I spanked my daughter when she was younger. She is a pretty good kid now. Some kids respond to other types of punishment some kids need some physical reminders once in a awhile. A pat on the tush or a smacked hand is not beating a child. If my daughter bit me, I bit her back, if she pulled my hair, I pulled hers back...she only did each of those things once. Because she then understood the pain the she had inflected. If you disipline them while you are in complete control of your emotions it should never come to the point of a beating. Just walk away...

My sister "talks" to her kids and refuses to even tap them on the bottom. They are Baddddd kids and will most likely continue to disrespect her and their father thru their teens. She told me she didnt approve of the way I disiplined my daughter and asked me not to spank her kids when I baby-sat them. I told her I would not longer baby-sit them anymore. Now they are three and five I am the only who has any control over the little monkeys and she is asking me for advice on her disrespectful children. I told her get them in line now because it is almost too late. Now that the kids beat the snot out of each other she has started being a little more agressive with their disipline. I hope it wasnt too late cause Id hate to have to beat the snot out of one of them when they are in their teens and disrespect their mom in front of me...:rulez:

Writing is not a strong point of mine but I'll make an attempt.

Some people assume that by 'spanking' a child you have to beat the crap out of him/her.

Complete & Absolute Nonsense.

You can give a firm smack without hurting a child, just enough to let them know they crossed the boundaries of whatever caused them to get it.

In my line of work I have the privilege of being able to observe people from all walks of life and their (sometimes misbehaving) kids. Kids being kids they will run amuck, be it from being excited and/or over anxious and once being reminded about acceptable behavior in a public place most will understand and settle down. Now I've seen people have to resort to give a gentle tap on the butt and that gets the message across, the child will sit down and behave to where some will 'plead and plead' with a child... to no avail. Two minutes will pass and these kids will forget the 'love and understanding' lesson and go right back to being a nuisance.

Want to guess which kids will grow up with respect...?

TruWrecks, no truer words have been said!

"It proved to me one very true statement. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." If you don't discipline your children, you will raise brats that have no respect for anyone, not even themselves. Disagree if you want, but it's true.

Kids who get spanked might grow up to dislike their parents. Kids who don't, grow up to be disrespectful punks who think they can do anything, and don't give a rat's ass about the life of another person".

I myself give my son a gentle reminder once in a while and to this day his teachers and daycare handlers have 'nothing but good' to say about my son. He is one of the most respectful, understanding students they've seen in a long-long time.

Coincidence? ... Maybe. Draw your own conclusions but to hear someone say 'spanking' a child is a crime just makes me :rofl:

I spanked my daughter when she was younger. She is a pretty good kid now. Some kids respond to other types of punishment some kids need some physical reminders once in a awhile. A pat on the tush or a smacked hand is not beating a child. If my daughter bit me, I bit her back, if she pulled my hair, I pulled hers back...she only did each of those things once. Because she then understood the pain the she had inflected. If you disipline them while you are in complete control of your emotions it should never come to the point of a beating. Just walk away...

My sister "talks" to her kids and refuses to even tap them on the bottom. They are Baddddd kids and will most likely continue to disrespect her and their father thru their teens. She told me she didnt approve of the way I disiplined my daughter and asked me not to spank her kids when I baby-sat them. I told her I would not longer baby-sit them anymore. Now they are three and five I am the only who has any control over the little monkeys and she is asking me for advice on her disrespectful children. I told her get them in line now because it is almost too late. Now that the kids beat the snot out of each other she has started being a little more agressive with their disipline. I hope it wasnt too late cause Id hate to have to beat the snot out of one of them when they are in their teens and disrespect their mom in front of me...:rulez:

Someone who 'gets' it! :thumbsup:

thats whats wrong with the world today is people not teaching their kids manners, respect, and not enough punishment, they try to negotiate with there kids, i mean come on, you dont negotiate with a 12 year its my house and my rules, its not up for debate. woop that ass if they dont act right period! i could go on and on but the whole time out thing makes me crazy lol! done with my rant ha ha

A parent should be smart enough to control a child without hitting them.
Call spanking what ever you want, it is still hitting a child. If an adult strikes an adult it is a crime.

I disagree and also think that's whats wrong with society today there is a difference between beating and spanking. everyone has to learn there will be consequences for getting out of control once they know what it is the seldom go back there. I have been lucky only had to spank my daughter once and it hurt me more than it hurt her.

I got paddled on a fairly regular basis at school. Coporal punishment was still in full force at the time! Never got spanked at home although my father man handled us... Their was absolutely no doubt about who was in charge in our house - one cross look (a common "enemy") always kept my brother and sister on the same team... It is funny because I do remember violent bloody fights and cruel practical jokes with my brother - one usually followed by the other. But no matter what we would do we would not rat out anyone because a breach of the peace in the home was all the childrens fault and everyone suffered. My Mom was a push over but my Dad gave out punishment and it stuck. His punishment were way worse than a spanking and more productive too... When my sister tried to feed pink insulation to my brother as "Cotton Candy" we all ended up with no pool for a week and had to paint the small barn. "But dad I didn't do anything!" - "You're the oldest and you shouldn't let this stuff happen" "And if you don't do a good job you will do it again and then you can paint the fence next week! He always had manual labor for us - punishment, productivity and lessons in rewards of hard work all in one! So you see when the pricipal said you can take the paddle or I can call your fathers - we (my friends) all took the short term pain. Then signed the paddled!

My parents never knew about the paddlings until years later when my mom worked at the school and saw my many signatures on the paddle...

There are times especially when it involves danger, that a young child needs a spanking (lightly). I have seen many of the"time out" crowd grow up to be really bad individuals. My grown up boys are all great men now. It just depends what goes with the disipline Love or maddness. Now I can remember the few times I spanked them, and it was not many. The voice was usually enough.

You see the result of not correcting kids all the time. Go to Wally World. You hear the(I hate you, SHUT UP, GET AWAY FROM ME, KIDS SLAPPING AND BITING PARENTS) totally out of control. My kids just look in disbelief and look at me expecting me to whip'em or something. I dont abuse my kids, but you have to let them know when you mean business. Thats why my wife has to tell them; your not going to the store, I'm going to take the Wii, your not getting on the computer, I'm going to make you go to your room, or if you dont listen i'm telling your daddy. Too many choices, too much talk and not enough action. I say what i want dome, if its not done they know the consequence. Hey, it worked for me. The problem we see is parents wanting to be like a friend with their kids. Be a parent... thats what a kid needs, not a friend. They'll thank you for it later. I know i thanked mine.

Laylas mom...110% right on! thank you, you saved me from typing pretty much the exact same thing,nothing to add or take away.:thumbsup:

this is always how it goes....

tha anti-spanking group always talks about beatings, that they have recieved or that they have seen.

there is a difference between a beating and a spanking. the fact that an adult cannot distinguish between the two is alarming.

do you outlaw liquor because some people drive drunk?
do you outlaw guns because some people kill and murder other people?
do you outlaw fast food because some people are great big fatasses?

dicipline is no longer stressed, and spanking is looked down upon....and we wonder why this country is going downhill.

the greatest generation got spanked, the generation that saved the world from the NAzi's got spanked, and they spanked thier kids...

the generation that got us to the moon, gave us the computer all got spanked....

the genaration that watches britney, miley, high school musical....myspace and twitter did not get spanked....

so i ask you...are things really so much better now that we talk to our kids and reason with them?

Back