Spanking your child

head east busa

Donating Member
Registered
Spanking children

Most of America's populace thinks it's improper to spank children. The other day I was talking to one of my younger buddies about methods used to discipline children.

We talked about "time outs", grounding, holding back "rewards" until the child displayed desired behavior etc. One of the things we discussed was the act of spanking and my friend explained that no, he does not spank any of his children.

He explained that what he does is to take the misbehaving child out for a ride in the car and talk. He said that usually this works and that the child calms down fairly quickly and really doesn't take too much time.

By removing the child, in this case his son, from the immediate situation and providing a change of scenery, the child is allowed to focus on something different. Once the child has the opportunity to change perspective, things get better quickly and the child has better understanding of his place within the family and begins to understand the family's concept of acceptable behavior.

He kindly shared a picture of the process which I share with you now (scroll down).

Attachments

• go for a ride.bmp
    468.3 KB · Views: 3,613
I don't have kids (yet), and I already can't wait for him/her/them to screw up...I will spank the sh1t out of them. :laugh:

My two boys are now 14 and 16. They got hands smacked when they were just little and grabbing at things like glass nic nacs and such. In-laws would frown and I would frown back.... LOL! Not their children! Then as they got older and they got a hand on the leg or bottom and that would get the attention and worked very well. In-laws frowned on that as well and all this time... wife is listening to mom and dad and now starting to say you are to tuff on them. No! Just like above, spare the rod, and Spoil the child! Both boys by now have seen my belt about 4 times each, give or take 1 or 2. Let me say... it hurt old dad and would bring tears a time or two. Last one I remember was my oldest! I was assigned at Eielson AFB Alaska and was pulling out of my driveway and Seth was across the street about 8 years old and him and the neighbor boy Timmy, same age was standing in the front yard of a vacant house with this little tree and each had a limb pulled over about to break! I stopped and told him, you break that limb and I'll bust your arse and it will be with my belt! I was back in five minutes and there was six limbs broken off. I found him hiding in his bedroom. Took him to the garage with my belt in hand. Had a long talk about "do you know why you are getting a whipping" as I held him on my knee with arm around him and I'm about to cry! I gave him three for 1/2 of the damage. I would go to jail is the wrong person seen the licks for I don't hold back and it was enough. Neither of my boys gets whippings and has not in so long. They say, thanks, yes sir, yes ma'am, please and thank you! The wear their shoes and don't walk on the heels, they have 1960 style haircuts and stand when approached by an adult. Guess what, mom can’t make them do chit but they still are pretty good but just don't snap to attention for her! In-laws and my sister-in-law have asked me in the past to discipline her two children.... I would not touch that with a ten foot pool! Your kids, not mine. :beerchug::thumbsup:

raising 7 kids and one is now in basics and wrote to me this week and i quote "thanks dad for yelling at me all the time... now the drill seargents dont get to me lol" ps his whole platoon is being held back in red zone of the trainning due to sneaking out and buying candy and makeing calls..he is SO MAD at thier lack of discipline. (and not one of my children have ever had even detention under my household and all but 1 in highschool)

My fahter used to beat me black and blue with a walking cane, he stopped when I was 14. I used to hate him, and promised myself, when I got older, I'd kill him by beating him to death.

I have forgiven him, and when I did get older, I changed that promise to, I will never strike another human in anger. A promise I have so far kept.

At the time I'm sure my father used all the rationaliztions provided in this thread.

When I see people backhand a child (or beat an animal) in public it fills me with a blind rage.

cheers
ken

Last edited:
My fahter used to beat me black and blue with a walking cane, he stopped when I was 14. I used to hate him, and promised myself, when I got older, I'd kill him by beating him to death.

I have forgiven him, and when I did get older, I changed that promise to, I will never strike another human in anger. A promise I have so far kept.

At the time I'm sure my father used all the rationaliztions provided in this thread.

When I see people backhand a child (or beat an animal) in public it fills me with a blind rage.

cheers
ken

good for you, I can not understand why a grown person would strike a child.
It will cause the child to hate you for the rest of their lives.
Spare the rod spoil the child is BS.

cheers
ken

I feel your pain. I had a step dad that was in the same mind set as your father. I do have to say though there is a big difference between an out of control beating and discipline. My step dad had anger issues and when he got mad he couldn't control himself. I've seen good fathers not get angry that their kid messed up and was able to talk to the kid and deal a punishment suiting the crime much like skywalker described. If you can stay calm and not loose your head this type of punishment is perfectly okay in my book.

The fathers that loose control are the ones that need to stop the disciplining and seek help immediately. You're not doing anybody any good especially your kid(s).

So I understand your reasoning to not want to discipline your kids physically because of what you've been through and taking a chance of turning into your father and I commend you for that. However; I think some kids need a greater fear than just being grounded. I know I sure did. I was no angle when I was young and the thought of getting grounded did nothing to stop me. However, the thought of my mom using that wooden spoon on me sure straighten me up very quickly. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
good for you, I can not understand why a grown person would strike a child.
It will cause the child to hate you for the rest of their lives.
Spare the rod spoil the child is BS.
I'm sorry but I disagree, There is a difference in beating and spanking a child. I never got many spankings from my dad but MaMa whooped my but regularly. When Daddy whipped me, I didn't forget why. There's nothing that ticks me off worse than a child talking back to their parents. That's enough, I'm done.

99 in a 35:rofl:

i used to get some serious ass whooping's.my mother divorced my father for being so abusive...now I'm the guardian of my father and I took away his cigarettes and phone and I drive his 1967 plymouth...lol

Last edited:
Back