Space Nuke lit up Hawaii's sky, took out streetlights!

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I have some friends who have worked with Nukes. My physics nerd self was doing some EMP(electromagnetic pulse) research and discoverd................

On July 9th, 1962, a nuclear device was detonated 250 miles above the Pacific Ocean. This event was known as "Starfish Prime"

Some hotels in Hawaii offered "rainbow bomb" parties on their roofs for Starfish Prime.

The spacebased blast was approximately 930 miles away from Hawaii but the EMP took out streetlights and disabled telephones.

Seven satellites were accidently destroyed, some radiation was later found in fungi and lichens.

Pic shows Honolulu sky lit up.

What is the point of this post:dunno: The point is the world's best scientists cant always predict outcomes. There was a recent post about the Hadron collider, my Physicist buddies assure me there is nothing to worry about, I believe them.

I have heard many stories of people in 1960's Vegas watching nightime detonations, I found "Starfish Prime" fascinating because I had never heard of it. I found quite a bit of info on this project, I usually dont like Wikipedia, but I think they are "fairly" accurate with the link here:

Starfish Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any opinions?, anyone here ever heard of "Starfish Prime" before this post?

300px-Starfish5.jpg

Never heard of that one. It is amazing what the government has done in the past that you don't hear about till years later.. kinda spooky actually. :whistle:

I remember talking about it in a college class. It got used as an example of exactly what you said: not always being able to predict results.

I gotta ask my inlaws in Honolulu about this and if they remember it. My wife was born there in 62. Thanx for the info, very interesting.

I want to know who in the hell gives these people the green light to do these projects. They said that when they did the first Atomic test that it could ignite the atmosphere and kill everything. Two weeks later they said the hell with that do it. Im just curious as to who says yes and no to these people that can destroy the planet. Yeah its all cool and fun to watch until the earth is gone. I still like to watch the stuff they do work but what happens that one time it doesnt go the way they planned?? Sorry its been a bad day.

Pinky,

The point of the decision to go ahead with the first nuke test in 1945 was to end WWII and stop the killing.

Given what they had before them, they determined it was an acceptable risk.

It's what happens in government.

Pinky,

The point of the decision to go ahead with the first nuke test in 1945 was to end WWII and stop the killing.

Given what they had before them, they determined it was an acceptable risk.

It's what happens in government.

Possibly killing a planet doesnt sound like an acceptable risk to me. Im just saying... its an island blockade it, bomb it, set the damn thing on fire for all I care but putting the whole planet at risk. And also who gets to say...OK were going to do this? The President, a General, who?

Possibly killing a planet doesnt sound like an acceptable risk to me. Im just saying... its an island blockade it, bomb it, set the damn thing on fire for all I care but putting the whole planet at risk. And also who gets to say...OK were going to do this? The President, a General, who?

I have some familiarity with the Manhattan Project. Basicly it was President Truman (Commander and Chief), who OKed this during the war.

Enrico Fermi initially calculated a 30% chance of destroying the world with the first atom bomb, they told him to re-calculate. He then came up with a 3% chance of destroying the world, this was deemed "acceptable" risk.

Right/Wrong Philosophies go hand in hand with Nukes. Almost no conventional Nuke testing(detonating) goes on today(except for North Korea(if it was a nuke) and maybe Iran soon.

Last edited:
kinda makes you wonder what those people that went to those parties on the roof feel like these days, if it effected biological features surely it effected humans also....

So its the President that gave the ok... Thats what Im wondering. Im just thinking theres alot ot people in the world and how can one person say were going to risk everything to test something. Any country could risk everything who says that they have that right? Its just crazy to me to think that someone in some other country can kill all life because they think its an acceptable risk to do so. I love science but its scary.

kinda makes you wonder what those people that went to those parties on the roof feel like these days, if it effected biological features surely it effected humans also....

Many military folks(during late40's,50's,early60's) were told to "just shower" after being exposed to fallout, many did die from cancer. Very Sad.

Last edited:
... and we wonder why the planet is changing so rapidly as of late. What other asinine "experiments" have we done with our atmosphere over the last 40 years?

Global Warming? Ha! Global Nuking...

Back