SOOO MANY bad habits !!!

kennym4

Registered
I know Tuff has been telling me for about 2 years now, "GET TO A TRACK DAY".

So ANYWAY
Went on a ride today, and was talking to a guy on an GSXR 1100, He was in his 60's, and he could ride !!!! I told him I just felt "OFF" going into turn, (like it didn't want to "TIP" into the turn). I was getting into the turn, and my front wheel wanted to turn into it (like on a bicycle, at slow speed). He asked if I ever did a track day, (like EVERBODY hear suggested to me 1000's of times). I told him that I hadn't. He asked me to "TRY, and see if I was putting ANY weight AT ALL on the bars before, and into turns. I WAS, I didn't think I was doing it too bad, but I guess I was. For the rest of the ride I made sure the only input on the bars in turns would be pressing the bar into the turn.......WHAT a DIFFERENCE !!!! I thought I had it pretty much down. Than he told me "your head is ALMOST in the right spot, just not far enough". That made just as much of a difference. I've had this bike almost 6 years......I feel like I have a new bike !!! Never noticed any of this on the 600. Then I thought, "MAN, working with this guy for almost an hour changed A LOT, I wonder what I could do after a couple of track days ?"

NOW, I can't even imagine what else I'm doing wrong !!!!! I know one thing, I PROMISE to myself......I'm getting to a track day as soon as I can afford it.

I bet the farm (wish I had 1) I'm doing more wrong now, than I am right !!!

They say one track day is equal to several years on the street. You wont regret it, and you will find that you will slow down on the street.

sounds like your are dumping those bad habits and perfecting your form. i have never been to a track day but wish i could. unfortunately, funds and time play a big role for me with 2 kids. so, i rely on "sport bike techniques" by nick ienatsch that i've read countless times and this forum from the track stars that post up.:thumbsup:

You are exactly right Kenny. A track day experience (I recommend a track school on your first experience) is no different than street riding on a one way road where everyone is going in the same direction. You get to do the same corners over and over with the ability to work on familiar entry points, line choice, apex placement, exit points, throttle control, brake control, what you should be doing in the brake zone and how what you do and when you do it effects the bike, how to use your eyes (extremely important) how to breath and the list goes on.

I see riders of all ages and experience levels come through our schools from the first time ever on the track to the experienced racers. The one thing they all have in common is the fact they ALL learn something. What I want to see in every student is an improvement in confidence. Making them feel more confident with themselves as well as their bike. Smooth control imput is the key to bike control.

What you learn on the track can be used on the street to make you an improved and safer rider. If you have never had any official instruction I can guarantee you have more bad habbits than you have good habits.

Do your very best Kenny, to get to a track at least once every season to keep you skills sharp as well as to continue the learning curve. The cost of instruction is far less expensive than a crash! :beerchug:

be prepared to get addicted, 'cause it's almost impossible to do JUST ONE....

I'm not too bad anymore on the street as far as speed. That use to be all I did..........straight highway wide open. Now I like the back roads more (when I feel like driving to them), and I know my limits on them. But I am going to do some kind of track training. I just can't believe how much something as so minor as having no weight on the bars (which I didn't think I was doing that bad in the 1'st place), and getting my head down lower made. I can't imagine what it would be like with some more "bad habits" gone ?

I have over a dozen track days under my belt. I did my first intermediate rider class this month, and learned I still have a tremendous number of opportunities for improvement in my riding. I've been practicing my form at 1/2 speed on the street trying to get some of the changes loaded into my muscle memory.

Back