Sooo...I'm lookin at chainsaws. Thoughts?

PACIFICBUSA

The Shaver Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
So I'm thinkin chainsaws. Nothin too over the top or too much of a budget breaker. I don't wanna spend more than...say...$150. I'm not gonna be Paul Bunyan-ing all over the island, so it doesn't have to last longer than child support payments...nor cost as much. ???

Just a little somethin to cut the occasional tree every now and again. May have to do a bunch of cutting, but nothing major. Most of the trees I'm lookin at are anywhere from a foot to maybe 3 feet in diameter at the most. Anything bigger and I can always section it off. I just want something that's reliable and isn't going to take away from my bike goodies budget. I've heard plenty of recommendations about the Husqvarna Farmhands and the Stihls...but I don't really need a major saw like that just yet.

That being said, I'm lookin for a nice, small simple thing. Maybe a 14in blade to perhaps an 18 at the biggest. I'd really prefer to stay between 14-16in. I've heard good and bad about the Poulans and the Echos...but I want to hear from you folks. I rely on you guys to be my "real world" source of reviews. :D

So...help a fellow out, wouldja? Whatcha got?

thanks all...
paul

I have a Stihl with a 14" bar and a Husq 266 with a 28" bar. Both are great for what they are used for. The Stihl is for small quick stuff and the Husq makes short work of big timber. My setup is the best for what I need but it sounds like you need the middle option, 18" bar and a mid to large size engine. Your Stihl and Husq will last your lifetime with proper maintenance and even though you said that is not important, you can get alot of your money back if you sell one after you dont need it anymore. That is not so with a Poulon or other crappy saw. I paid $90 used for my Stihl and $150 used for my Husq. Ive had the Husq for 12 years and its at least 20 years old. Its probably gone through 1000 cords of wood just with me. The Stihl has been around for 8 years and is probably 25 years old, still runs like a raped ape. Buy quality saws always.

I'll tell you, my Stihl is the best saw I've ever owned. My use is probably similar to yours, occasional, meaning 3 or four times a year. I take a tree or two a year, and then some brush clearing two or three times a year. I've had cheaper saws that would work great when they were new, but after sitting for 6 months to a year, wouldn't start. My Stihl starts on the first or second pull every time. I've had it for 7 or 8 years now and I wouldn't trade it for any other saw.

Another thought for you depending on how close power is would be to look at an electric chainsaw. My father can't seem to keep two cycle motors running, so he got an electric saw, and for what he does in his yard, it works great. He just pulls out an extension cord, plugs it in checks the bar oil and goes. I'm not sure, but I think he has a 14"bar on it.

--Sky

If it's for occasional use, I'd look at CraigsList and get a used Husky Rancher or a Stihl, New saws in that price range are junk and there are some good deals on used saws on CL. Just be careful and look it over real well. No blueing on the bar, runs well without much trouble to start and of course clean. Good Luck

Don't get the cheep brands or you'll be getting a new one every year or so and do yourself a favor and get the 18" bar.

Stihl. I've never regretted buying a quality piece of work equipment. The initial price stings a bit, but having it work just like it's supposed to every time I ask it to is worth it!

I have a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" bar and an inexpensive Poulan. When you have both to compare running side by side you understand where that extra cost is invested.

Which ever way you go, good luck with yours. We've been hacking on a HUGE Hickory tree this year that will keep us in firewood for probably 2 yrs.

personally, i love my Stihl 029 but it's a bit out of the price range and overkill for what you need...for yard pruning and the occasional small tree, i would look at a Husqvarna along the lines of this click linky but i wouldn't recommend it for cutting down 36" trees...with you living in the middle of the ocean, your #1 priority may be ensuring there is someone who is capable of working on whatever brand upon which you decide

Stihl or Husq are the only chainsaws I use. I had to borrow a friends Poulan Pro (didn't have my saws at my new house at the time) to cut up some fallen branches that came down during the tornados a couple years ago and it was a real pain in the azz. It didn't want to start and when it did start, it struggled going through some of the branches. they are cheap for a reason.

The latest consumer reports actually has an article on chain saws this month. I love the noise results...it's a chain saw, it's going to be loud!

20130905_102754_zps5670dbb0.jpg

I have a Stihl with a 14" bar and a Husq 266 with a 28" bar. Both are great for what they are used for. The Stihl is for small quick stuff and the Husq makes short work of big timber. My setup is the best for what I need but it sounds like you need the middle option, 18" bar and a mid to large size engine. Your Stihl and Husq will last your lifetime with proper maintenance and even though you said that is not important, you can get alot of your money back if you sell one after you dont need it anymore. That is not so with a Poulon or other crappy saw. I paid $90 used for my Stihl and $150 used for my Husq. Ive had the Husq for 12 years and its at least 20 years old. Its probably gone through 1000 cords of wood just with me. The Stihl has been around for 8 years and is probably 25 years old, still runs like a raped ape. Buy quality saws always.

I agree 100%. My Husq rancher is a great saw. My poulan seems like a toy compared to the Hausq.

Sigh...I was hoping it wouldn't have to go that route, but I guess it's gonna come down to it. Doesn't help that almost nobody carries the Stihls and Huskies here....those that do carry it want your house and your firstborn as payment. :banghead:

Even worse if you need it serviced. :(

I'll tell you, my Stihl is the best saw I've ever owned. My use is probably similar to yours, occasional, meaning 3 or four times a year. I take a tree or two a year, and then some brush clearing two or three times a year. I've had cheaper saws that would work great when they were new, but after sitting for 6 months to a year, wouldn't start. My Stihl starts on the first or second pull every time. I've had it for 7 or 8 years now and I wouldn't trade it for any other saw.

Another thought for you depending on how close power is would be to look at an electric chainsaw. My father can't seem to keep two cycle motors running, so he got an electric saw, and for what he does in his yard, it works great. He just pulls out an extension cord, plugs it in checks the bar oil and goes. I'm not sure, but I think he has a 14"bar on it.

--Sky

I have an electric chainsaw...and truth be told, it's not a bad little unit. Not the greatest (give me a two-handed machete and I promise you I'll cut quicker than the chainsaw), but it works for menial tasks around the homefront.

I was looking for a gas powered chain to take with me to the ranch (no electricity there). I have a bunch of trees that need to be felled over there, and while I'd just take a good machete to it, I need to get them cut down to the ground clean. With the 'chete, either the whole thing is coming out (which I want to prevent in order to aid in erosion prevention) or it's gonna be a rough stump.

That, and the foilage is so thick that I don't really have swinging room. :(

Stihl! I've ran Stihls and Huskies and Stihls are the best IMO.

Yep...Stihls and Huskies are the way to go. Unfortunately, I enjoy spending my money more on my Yuugen. :D

Gonna have to bite the bullet sometime...but it's so hard when there's so much to look at. Gloves, jackets, helmets, undertails, fuel pumps, LED tailights, new paint jobs, tires, etc... :)

If it's for occasional use, I'd look at CraigsList and get a used Husky Rancher or a Stihl, New saws in that price range are junk and there are some good deals on used saws on CL. Just be careful and look it over real well. No blueing on the bar, runs well without much trouble to start and of course clean. Good Luck

Most of the stuff I see on the craigslist here are Echos, Poulans. Not much else. :(

Don't get the cheep brands or you'll be getting a new one every year or so and do yourself a favor and get the 18" bar.

18 is about the biggest I'd like to go. Really prefer a 16 (most of the parts are cheaper)...but I guess it's good to have a versatile saw.

Back