Sooo, gearing question for experienced folk!

Stevo80

Registered
So, here we are again! I'm 210 in gym clothes, bike is a stock gen2 with exhaust, air shifter, arm sitting about 9-9.5 inches back, hook up tire on and I'm wanting to see what you experienced pilots have to say about optimal gearing. I am currently -1 and +3. I am able to come out of the hole at around 7K and once at 8K carrying the front tire. I am shifting in to 2nd almost immediately! Best 60 ft was 1.42 (clutch mod and original 8,000 mile clutches too). I think my gearing is too low and I'm almost wasting 1 st gear. I had extensions (+6 back) on the bike with just a +3 and stock front and could 60 a 1.47 (only ran it this way one night). MY best 1/8 difference with the 2 setups is only a .04. 1/4 dropped 0.05. 1/8 MPH is 118.xx, and 1/4 is 145.xx. IF and I mean IF I could theoretically get the same 60 ft with let's say stock gearing, would the ability to carry 1st and 2nd longer help me out? Obviously I'm going to change out sprockets and see what I get, but just wanted to see what you guys thought on the situation. Any good info is appreciated, and bad info will be taken as well! :laugh: This is the first night I have ran it with the new arm, but it seems like it could go just a little faster, maybe not.

i personally think you are too steep at -1 +3. i would just run the +3 and work it from there. you are correct first is worthless for you at your current gearin.

i personally think you are too steep at -1 +3. i would just run the +3 and work it from there. you are correct first is worthless for you at your current gearin.

I'de try the opposite:beerchug:.
Use the -1 front by itself first. It'll give you just a slightly longer wheelbase vs just the +3 rear. Which will make it a little easier to keep the front down.

I'de try the opposite:beerchug:.
Use the -1 front by itself first. It'll give you just a slightly longer wheelbase vs just the +3 rear. Which will make it a little easier to keep the front down.

9+ inches back, no wheelie problem! :laugh: I went back to completely stock just for trial and error, I figured that should give me some measurable differences! Thanks!

Well, went all the way to stock gearing, and all I can say is stock SUCKS for my situation! 60 dropped off .08 AND 330 dropped off over .15. 1/8 et dropped .1 exactly and 1/4 dropped .05, picked up over 6mph though! Trapped 151.xx not bad for a stock Busa and my weight. So, did I learn anything, I have no idea!:laugh:
Going to see if I ca nfind the optimal setup for me, going to take a few tries I suppose!

Well, went with the -1 front and stock rear last night. I also put the cutch plates in, man were the old ones fried! Definitely grabs harder out of the hole now. Anyway, still slower than the -1 and +3. 1/8 is .07 off of my best and 1/4 was off .05 my best. Guess I'm going back to the -1 and +3. It is fun to ride with that gearing, pulls like a freight train out of the hole for a stock motor. Well I don't know if all this helps anyone else, but if you find different results for your setup post up the info. :beerchug:

Sorry it took so long for me to find this. My thoughts, random order. Anyway, -1 + 3 is definately not too much for your application. That is what I run at 63-1/2" and wouldn't think of going higher. At your weight you could probably add one or two more teeth in the rear. I weigh 160 right out of the shower and run out 5th gear at 155-158 mph showing 11.5-11.6k rpms. You surely have more of 5th gear left. The -1 +3 lets the clutch come out quicker (and throttle open quicker) which saves the clutch and lets your engine operate closer to the power peak more of the time. The 60' is only part of the story. I've been 1.45 at 60" but it really wasn't that fast because I didn't have the throttle open soon enough so the 330 didn't pick up very much. I have never noticed mph slowing down due to adding gear, and certainly not 6 mph.

Back