Sony Digital Camera

bigoltool

Registered
I have been looking for a not too spendy Digital Camera to replace my aging Nikon Coolpix 800. I wanted more pixels obviously and also much more optical zoom. I was mainly sticking to Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony as I started to progress through all the available features one camera keeps popping up at the top of my short list. The Sony DSCH3B is the one with the best feature set I have found at this price (<$300)point. It is compact, 8.1MP, Carl Zeiss Lens with 10x optical Zoom(max51x digital zoom with VGA resolution), Image stabilizer, sports shooting mode, ISO 3200 etc. etc. Has anybody got any experience with this camera? Better yet has anybody ever dealt with theDigitalnerds.com? They had far and away the best prices I have found but I am reading horror stories online about their service.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp....5199982

How about this one?

0040PD-10140584.jpg

Save your money and buy a Digital SLR.
Come on now, you know as well as I do that unless you are really a Photo enthusiast an SLR is overkill... Nice, But unwieldy, and in most cases unnecessarily bulky and clumsy.
-----------------------

Tool, I've been using one form of digicam or another for over ten years and for the last 5 or so as part of my job.
here's a few things I'll offer up and you can make of them what you will.

1. This is probably the most important. Buy a Camera BUILT by a camera Company, Almost all the electronics inside a digicam are sourced from the same few companies. So that being the case what makes one better than the others? It's all about the Lenses, the construction quality, and the companies experience with cameras.

2. What do you want top be able to do with your camera? Point and shoot mostly, or lots of manual inputs to get the right shot? Do you want it to fit in a pocket, or is a case OK? You mention long zoom, and I get that, but what about wide angle, 28mm or so to catch that group shot in it's entirety?

3. Don't get hung up on megapixels, unless you are making posters, megapixels are little more than marketing hype and excessive noise. 5-8 Megapixels will suffice 99% of the time unless you are going for bigger than 11X17 enlargements.

From what you said Tool I have one recommendation, and a few alternatives if you can give up the big zoom.

The Canon S5 IS is a blast, lots of features big zoom, Canon quality, and a good solid value and it uses an industry standard memory format, not a Sony creation.

If you can live without the big zoom I am a fan of the Canon Elph series of Cameras. I was looking at the SD950 IS just the other day and it's awesome, it's what I'd buy if I was going to get another Elph, Making it my 5th Elph btw. They are solid, compact, simple, and take great pictures. The SD870 has a good wide angle lens and is what I would recommend.

So far this year I've Had or have a Canon Rebel XTI, 2-Leica D-lux3s, a Canon SD1000, and just Monday I was shopping either the SD950 IS or the Canon G9. I'm getting the Canon G9 despite it's size cause I like having so much control over my shots when I want it. The Titanium bodied SD950 IS is pretty awesome as well.

I'm a Nikon and a Canon fan mostly this is true, but I am not a die hard bang my fist on the table fanboy. I just highly recommend getting a camera that is made by a Camera Company first and foremost, the glass and construction of a digital camera makes all the difference given that for the most part the electronics are all the same.

My recommendation, and you can get it here, 17th Street Photo I've purchased 3 cameras from 17th Street Photo and have allways been pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and remember that any digicam shooting at over about ISO 600 is going to be very noisy, ISO 3200 is likely little more than Vapor Ware in a $300 or so digicam.

This is what I am getting, kind of silly when I have a Canon XTI, and an Elph sitting here but I just wanted one after messing around with it for awhile at the local Camera shop.

The Canon G9, Sort of a lot of window dressing but it feels good in the hand and that counts for a lot. If you like the feel of a camera you'll find reasons to use it...

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the SD I beat mine up at work and I have a waterproof case that is fully functional for it in case you ever feel the need to take pics underwater. I am a huge fan because the military has sent me so much crap I break everyday and this is what I always go back to.

Thanks for all the input! I am and always have been a Canon/Nikon guy when it came to cameras. The Sony was just something I stumbled across while comparing specs and I actually looked at one at (ahem, hack) Target on my lunch hour one day. This all started when my wife told me she wanted a new Digicam for Christmas. Since I take more pic's than she does by far I figured I would look for something that would make us both happy. She wants compact and not too many bells and whistles. I want something with a bit more Optical Zoom than my old Nikon had (3X) that will do a better job of taking pics in questionable light which mine sucks at. At most I would like to print Photo quality 8x10's. I started looking at the Nikon coolpix P50 and also the Canon Powershot G9 and the S5IS as well. It is just real hard to find a compact camera with a big zoom like that. My search continues!

Thanks again!
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for all the input! I am and always have been a Canon/Nikon guy when it came to cameras. The Sony was just something I stumbled across while comparing specs and I actually looked at one at (ahem, hack) Target on my lunch hour one day. This all started when my wife told me she wanted a new Digicam for Christmas. Since I take more pic's than she does by far I figured I would look for something that would make us both happy. She wants compact and not too many bells and whistles. I want something with a bit more Optical Zoom than my old Nikon had (3X) that will do a better job of taking pics in questionable light which mine sucks at. At most I would like to print Photo quality 8x10's. I started looking at the Nikon coolpix P50 and also the Canon Powershot G9 and the S5IS as well. It is just real hard to find a compact camera with a big zoom like that. My search continues!

Thanks again!
thumb_up.gif
Sure thing, one thing to consider though, is that you can kind of compensate for lower zoom via high Megapixels. Cropping in on what you wanted works well if you start with a 4000 X 3000 image.

Good luck, one of the links I posted above is to DPreview.com they may not be THE answer to all your camera questions but they do a really good job of really digging into the cameras.

Good luck, it's not like the Sony is a bad choice, I'm sure it would serve you well, in that Vein Be certain to check out Panasonics Lumix Line of Cameras, they have Leica optics on several of their models which are superb.

Remember it's all about the lens and construction... post up when you pick one out so I can tell you all about why it's the wrong choice.
laugh.gif
shutup.gif

1. This is probably the most important.  Buy a Camera BUILT by a camera Company,

3. Don't get hung up on megapixels, unless you are making posters, megapixels are little more than marketing hype and excessive noise. 5-8 Megapixels will suffice 99% of the time unless you are going for bigger than 11X17 enlargements.
+1 on points 1 and 3. you can save a ton if you know what you need before shopping. Most people take snap shots and print 4x6. There is a negligible difference between a 2.0 and 8.0 megpix at a 4x6 size. The differences will be primarily due to quality of optics, hence recommendation #1.

If you dont know what the Rule of Thirds is, take an intro photo class. Composition in everything. Composing well will alleviate the need for higher mpix when youre photochopping later, as youll be using more of the lens then technology to get the desired picture quality. Look at Pashnit's photos. He has a trained eye. Infact Pashnit's board always has threads for basic foto taking tips.

The investment in a basic photo class will reap benefits over buying the latest and greatest camera.

just adding to the thread, not high jacking. You may have earned a MFA for all I know. Photography is one of my other passions.

Back to my corner
corner2.png

learn how to set white balance <--- something I have heard 100 times at least..

So how is this camera at say a race where you need/want 3 or 5 shots in quick succession? I have a Canon Coolpix 5400 and it is pretty ok but rapid shots are not an option...

So how is this camera at say a race where you need/want 3 or 5 shots in quick succession? I have a Canon Coolpix 5400 and it is pretty ok but rapid shots are not an option...
I'll tell you honestly, I've yet to find a point and shoot that was really good at action/sports.

Digicams suffer here, shutter lag, small lenses, etc. Digital SLRs are the answer for fast moving action.

BUT, you can get decent results once you get to know you small digital camera, work around the shortcomings, and anticipating the shutter lag.

Thanks again!
thumb_up.gif
Sure thing, one thing to consider though, is that you can kind of compensate for lower zoom via high Megapixels. Cropping in on what you wanted works well if you start with a 4000 X 3000 image.

Good luck, one of the links I posted above is to DPreview.com they may not be THE answer to all your camera questions but they do a really good job of really digging into the cameras.

Good luck, it's not like the Sony is a bad choice, I'm sure it would serve you well, in that Vein Be certain to check out Panasonics Lumix Line of Cameras, they have Leica optics on several of their models which are superb.

Remember it's all about the lens and construction... post up when you pick one out so I can tell you all about why it's the wrong choice.
laugh.gif
shutup.gif
Cripes I just spent several hours on Dp Review and am now totally lost! Lots of good info on there!
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I'll tell you honestly, I've yet to find a point and shoot that was really good at action/sports.

Digicams suffer here, shutter lag, small lenses, etc. Digital SLRs are the answer for fast moving action.

BUT, you can get decent results once you get to know you small digital camera, work around the shortcomings, and anticipating the shutter lag.
That would explain why Captain gets such great shots... thanks a ton for the info!

Well To maybe help you recover from camera review overload, or make it worse, here's the DigitalComparometer Just select one camera on the left, one on the right, and then select images to compare head to head the results you might expect...
thumb_up.gif

Come on now, you know as well as I do that unless you are really a Photo enthusiast an SLR is overkill...  Nice, But unwieldy, and in most cases unnecessarily bulky and clumsy.
-----------------------
Yes I'll admit it.

I am a DSLR snob.

Sometimes, I wish I had something smaller to slide in my pocket for travel purposes, but I just can't get around to picking one up. Of course, I would steer towards a high end Nikon CoolPix since there are alot of optical accessories available for them. Then I would end up with another fairly large bag to carry on my travels.

Come on now, you know as well as I do that unless you are really a Photo enthusiast an SLR is overkill... Nice, But unwieldy, and in most cases unnecessarily bulky and clumsy.
-----------------------
Yes I'll admit it.

I am a DSLR snob.

Sometimes, I wish I had something smaller to slide in my pocket for travel purposes, but I just can't get around to picking one up. Of course, I would steer towards a high end Nikon CoolPix since there are alot of optical accessories available for them. Then I would end up with another fairly large bag to carry on my travels.
Check out the Leica D-Lux 3 when you get a chance. I've had two of them and they are pretty damned impressive, I mean REALLY Good Quality photos. Besides with the Leica name slapped on there you can sooth your snab desires as well.

I'll let you know about the G9, It'll be here tomorrow...
ThumbsUp.gif

But yeah, nothing compact will match a DSLR in most cases. You can get close, but small sensors and small lenses have limitations.

BUT

One thing as true with a Camera as with a Firearm. It doesn't do you any good unless you've got it with you when you need it. This is where the Compacts come in handy, ANY camera is better than None in every case.
smile.gif

Back