somthing you might wana read

adrenaline junkey

Donating Member
Registered
this was in my email this morning i havent heard of it just thought i would pass it on because there is a can setting on my desk

"DUST OFF" CAN BE LETHAL! PLEASE PASS ON

First I'm going to tell you a little about me and my family. My name
is Jeff I am a Police Officer for a city which is known nationwide for
its crime rate. We have a lot of gangs and drugs. At one point we were
# 2 in the nation in homicides per capita. I also have a police I-9
named Thor . He was certified in drugs and general duty. He retired at
3 years old because he was shot in the line of duty. He lives with us
now and I still train with him because he likes it. I always liked the
fact that there was no way to bring drugs into my house. Thor wouldn't
allow it. He would tell on you. The reason I say this is so you
understand that I know about drugs. I have taught in schools about
drugs. My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any
drugs. Makes them promise they wont.

I like building computers occasionally and started building a new one
in Febr uary 2005. I also was working on some of my older computers.
They were full of dust so on one of my trips to the computer store I
bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF. Dust Off is a can of compressed air to
blow dust off a computer. A few weeks later when I went to use them
they were all used. I talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they
had used them on their computer and messing around with them. I yelled
at them for wasting the 10 dollars I paid for them. On February 28 I
went back to the computer store. They didn't have the 3 pack which I
had bought on sale so I bought a single jumbo can of Dust Off. I went
home and set it down beside my computer.

On March 1st I left for work at 10 PM. At 11 PM my wife went down and
kissed Kyle goodnight. At 530 am the next morning Kathy went
downstairs to wake Kyle up for school, before she left for work. He
was sitting up in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over.
She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move. He w ould
sometimes tease her like this and pretend he fell back asleep. He was
never easy to get up. She went in and shook his arm. He fell over. He
was pale white and had the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of
his mouth. He had the new can of Dust Off in his hands. Kyle was dead.

I am a police officer and I had never heard of this. My wife is a
nurse and she had never heard of this. We later found out from the
coroner, after the autopsy, that only the propellant from the can of
Dust off was in his system. No other drugs. Kyle had died between
midnight and 1 Am..

I found out that using Dust Off is being done mostly by kids ages 9
through 15. They even have a name for it. It's called dusting. A take
off from the Dust Off name. It gives them a slight high for about 10
seconds. It makes them dizzy. A boy who lives down the street from us
showed Kyle how to do this about a month before. Kyle showed his best
friend. Told him it was cool and it couldn't hurt you. Its just
compressed air. It cant hurt you. His best friend said no.

Kyle's death

Kyle was wrong. It's not just compresses air. It also contains a
propellant I think its R2. Its a refrigerant like what is used in your
refrigerator. It is a heavy gas. Heavier than air. When you inhale it,
it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out. That's
why you feel dizzy, buzzed. It decreases the oxygen to your brain, to
your heart. Kyle was right. It cant hurt you. IT KILLS YOU. The
horrible part about this is there is no warning. There is no level
that kills you. It's not cumulative or an overdose; it can just go
randomly, terribly wrong. Roll the dice and if your number comes up
you die. ITS NOT AN OVERDOSE. Its Russian roulette. You don't die
later. Or not feel good and say I've had too much. You usually die as
your breathing it in. If not you die within 2 seconds of finishing
"the hit." That's why the straw was still in Kyle's mouth when he
died. Why his eye's were still open.

The experts want to call this huffing. The kids don't believe its
huffing. As adults we tend to lump many things together. But it
doesn't fit here. And that's why its more accepted. There is no
chemical reaction. no strong odor. It doesn't follow the huffing
signals. Kyle complained a few days before he died of his tongue
hurting. It probably did. The propellant causes frostbite. If I had
only known.

Its easy to say hay, its my life and I'll do what I want. But it
isn't. Others are always effected. This has forever changed our
family's life. I have a hole in my heart and soul that can never be
fixed. The pain is so immense I cant describe it. There's nowhere to
run from it. I cry all the time and I don't ever cry. I do what I'm
supposed to do but I don't really care. My kids are messed up. One
wont talk about it. The other will only sleep in our room at night.
And my wife, I cant even describe how bad she is taking this. I
thought we were safe bec ause of Thor. I thought we were safe because
we knew about drugs and talked to our kids about them.

After Kyle died another story came out. A Probation Officer went to
the school system next to ours to speak with a student. While there he
found a student using Dust Off in the bathroom. This student told him
about another student who also had some in his locker. This is a
rather affluent school system. They will tell you they don't have a
drug problem there. They don't even have a dare or plus program there.
So rather than tell everyone about this "new" way of getting high they
found, they hid it. The probation officer told the media after Kyle's
death and they, the school, then admitted to it. I know that if they
would have told the media and I had heard, it wouldn't have been in my
house.

We need to get this out of our homes and school computer labs.

Using Dust Off isn't new and some "professionals" do know about. It
just isn't talked about much, except by the kids. They know about it.

April 2nd was 1 month since Kyle died. April 5th would have been his
15th birthday. And every weekday I catch myself sitting on the living
room couch at 2:30 in the afternoon and waiting to see him get off the
bus. I know Kyle is in heaven but I cant help but wonder If I died and
went to Hell.

Jeff

very sad story
sad.gif
propellents are a big problem.

Keep out of reach of children. I've been hearing about this for a couple of years now. Not this story but cases of kids huffing the stuff.

Checked this out on Snopes - it's true.

www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp

"While many of the Internet-circulated tales of tragedy prove either to be baseless scaremongering or vastly overblown accounts that contain only a small shred of truth, this one, unfortunately, checks out in every respect. On 2 March 2005, 14-year-old Kyle Williams was found dead in his bedroom at his family's Cleveland-area home. At 5:45 that morning, his mother, Kathy Williams (a nurse by profession), had attempted to wake him before she left for work. She initially thought Kyle was joking when he failed to get up, but she then pulled back the covers and found her son lying motionless, a can of Dust-Off, a common computer cleaner, next to his face. She immediately called the Lake County Sheriff’s Office.

The boy's father and the author of the e-mail, Jeff Williams, is an East Cleveland police officer. He was on duty when his son's body was discovered and arrived home to find Lake County Sheriff’s Office personnel already on the scene. According to the coroner, the boy died sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. His mother had kissed him goodnight at a quarter to midnight.

Jeff Williams does indeed have a German Shepherd named Thor who had been a police dog with the East Cleveland Police Department until he was shot in the line of duty in March 2001. Thor's injuries necessitated his retirement from the force, so he became the Williams' family pet.

This sad e-mail about a teen's demise reached us in the first week of April 2005. By mid-May 2005, versions in circulation had picked up the following attribution, causing many to conclude the death had taken place in Calgary, Alberta, rather than in Cleveland, Ohio:
Tracey Lowey, B.A., M.S.
Crime Analyst
Targeted Enforcement Unit #583
Calgary Police Service
Office: 206-8360
Dust-Off, the product that proved to be Kyle Williams' undoing, has been implicated in a number of deaths:
The September 2001 death of 19-year-old Austin Purser in Valdez, Alaska, was attributed to Dust-Off. According to the young man's roommates, the decedent had come home about 4 a.m. and had huffed from an aerosol can of Dust-Off.

In January 2004 in Brooklyn, New York, 18-year-old Kristian Roggio was killed when her vehicle was struck by one driven by Vincent Litto, 20, who had been huffing from a can of Dust-Off when his car went over the double yellow lines and crashed head-on into hers.

The coroner's report on one of the fatalities in an August 2004 single-vehicle automobile accident in Sacramento, California, revealed the presence of difluoroethane (the propellant in Dust-Off) in the blood of a passenger in a Jeep which was estimated to have been traveling at 90 mph when it jumped a curb, hit a telephone pole, then crashed into a concrete wall. A can of Dust-Off was found in the wrecked vehicle. Of the three teens who died as a result of that crash (Matthew Walas, 15; Jeremiah Cremins, 16; Nicholas Goudberg, 17), only Walas' blood was tested, leaving open the question of whether the driver, Goudberg, was also under the influence. (Walas was killed instantly, whereas Goudberg lived on for a further eight days, and Cremins lasted three weeks past the accident. The coroner's office did not order toxicology tests on the blood of the two youths who lingered because these would have proved useless as the young men had received transfusions, plus they both lived long enough for any chemicals to have dissipated from their bloodstreams.) "

Sad indeed. How do we prepare our children to avoid the traps of growing up? If anyone has the sure-fire remedy, I'm all ears........

This same type of high has been around for years. Just like doing whipp-its, the refrigerant used for creating whip cream. It released into a baloon and inhaled in and out several times displacing the oxygen in th elungs and eventually the brain. Some people suck this same gas out of a can of whipped cream. If you release the gas slowly until the cream comes out you get the same deal. Compressed gas of any sort will do this if you breath it, so its not the toxicity per say but the displacement of oxygen in the blood. Deadly real quick but compared with the number of times performed the failure rate is still very low, I thnk it gets such high exposure just because it so incredibly stupid and desperate and who would have ever thunk it would kill you.

WTF is going on with teenagers these days? Don't they have any common sense when it comes to harming your body or is the quick high worth your life?
rock.gif
sad.gif

This same type of high has been around for years. Just like doing whipp-its, the refrigerant used for creating whip cream.  It released into a baloon and inhaled in and out several times displacing the oxygen in th elungs and eventually the brain.  Some people suck this same gas out of a can of whipped cream.  If you release the gas slowly until the cream comes out you get the same deal.  Compressed gas of any sort will do this if you breath it, so its not the toxicity per say but the displacement of oxygen in the blood.  Deadly real quick but compared with the number of times performed the failure rate is still very low, I thnk it gets such high exposure just because it so incredibly stupid and desperate and who would have ever thunk it would kill you.
No, whipped cream uses Nitrous Oxide as the propellant. Trust me on this. These dust off products use other chemicals, not nearly as nice as nitrous.......

To begin with, this sucks and I'm really sorry to hear that such a young kid killed himself with something this stupid. A good friend of mine is over here to visit with her 2 kids, one 10 the other 16, and I'm willing to bet that they have been or soon will be confronted with this kind of sh!t. I hate to think what could happen to them.

I hope I don't get thrown off the "family oriented" board for this, but here goes:

< rant on>

Does anyone think that the increase in the incidence of this sort of drug-use has anything to do with the US' crackdown on drugs? I mean, back in the day if you were so inclined, you just bought a nickel-bag of nasty walked on pot from your buddy and got high - without worrying about anyone going to federal prison for life. Maybe "just say no", "D.A.R.E", and "3 Strikes and you're going to Federal F§$% you in the A$$ prison" have left the kids with no alternatives and essentially forced them sniff aerosol propellants. Some kids are going to get high, and always have, and always will. Of course it's not a good thing, and I don't want to advocate drug use, but this is ridiculous. Stuff like pot certainly isn't good for you, but it doesn't compare to this even remotely. But the consequences are almost as bad - get caught with pot 3 times and your life is over.

This whole progrom seems to have indoctrinated kids to think "DRUGS" iz bad (assuming "DRUGZ" means something you go to Federal F§$% you in A$$ Prison for buying, selling, using possessing or withholding knowledge of same), but stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart is ok to fry your brain with. What's the next step? All household cleaners, paint, glue, nail-polish, cheez-whiz and whipped cream declared class III controlled substances?

And don't even get me started on the total hypocrisy of alcohol.

Maybe if they backed off a bit on the "zero-tolerance" thing, kids wouldn't resort to this kind of stuff. And die. And kill their friends in the process. Or total strangers.

Maybe if we just teach our kids that this stuff (all of it) needs to be considered dangerous and treated appropriately, instead of equating some things to "THE DEVIL!!!" and assigning incredibly disproportionate (federal!) criminal penalties and saying the rest are useful household products (and maybe even a dessert topping/floor wax).

Maybe parents need to get a little more involved in parenting. Maybe the government needs to get a little less involved in parenting.

I don't know.

gahhh.

< /rant off>

Sorry, but the whole drug thing in the US is out of control, and I don't mean just the commercial/consumer aspects.

--Steve

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121383700 -->

This same type of high has been around for years. Just like doing whipp-its, the refrigerant used for creating whip cream.  It released into a baloon and inhaled in and out several times displacing the oxygen in th elungs and eventually the brain.  Some people suck this same gas out of a can of whipped cream.  If you release the gas slowly until the cream comes out you get the same deal.  Compressed gas of any sort will do this if you breath it, so its not the toxicity per say but the displacement of oxygen in the blood.  Deadly real quick but compared with the number of times performed the failure rate is still very low, I thnk it gets such high exposure just because it so incredibly stupid and desperate and who would have ever thunk it would kill you.
No, whipped cream uses Nitrous Oxide as the propellant. Trust me on this. These dust off products use other chemicals, not nearly as nice as nitrous.......
You are exactly right, my point is that the idea of inhaling anything to displace the oxygen in your brain can have serious deadly consequences. And the fact that they are using Dust Off or anything else of that nature is not a new concept just a different method of delivery. Kinda makes you sad that someone has the ingenuity (for lack of better term) to devise these methods but not enough brains to "say no" and stay in school and become productive. Soemone should harness their ingenuity, releive them of their boredom and invent a new combustion engine that runs on compressed air or some other contribution to society. Does anyone remember "High Risers"?

I saw that a month or so ago and made sure I put the can of "Dust Off" for our PC out of my kids' reach...my little guys would just think it's fun to squeeze the trigger and would likely do it in each others' faces...not worth the risk...
sad.gif

I have to sons, a three year old and an eight month old. This stuff scares me.

Inhalant abuse has been around for a long time. SSD or sudden sniffing death just doesn't normally get the press it should. The body has no way to protect itself or let the user know they have had too much. The list of chemical vapors the kids will inhale to get high is endless. They are in every household in the county. Parents never talk to their kids about them. Tobacco, Marijuana, Alcohol, and Inhalants are the gateway drugs. This is where every kid starts. These are the ones you need to talk to your kids about.

Anyone ever heard of "RUSH"?

That was becoming popular when I was in high school, and yeah, I tried it...kids don't realize the harm when it's just a little bottle of liquid and you smell it...gave users a buzz for about 2 minutes and that was it...I'm glad I didn't do it long...
wink.gif

That was becoming popular when I was in high school, and yeah, I tried it...kids don't realize the harm when it's just a little bottle of liquid and you smell it...gave users a buzz for about 2 minutes and that was it...I'm glad I didn't do it long...
wink.gif
oh yeah, rush. Used to be able to buy a little vial of that stuff for about $5 at the headshops. Perfectly legal when I was in HS - I tried it once at a party and got a mother of a headache. Never again. AFAIK, they made the stuff illegal in the mid 80's. Probably a good thing.

This plays to my point from before. Rush and all of the other inhalants are pretty nasty stuff, but they are (or were) "legal" as opposed to marijuana. So is Alcohol. So are cigarettes.

The thing is the mixed message. I bet you can find kids wearing "D.A.R.E" or "Just Say No" t-shirts at weekend boonie-parties doing beer bombs and swilling JD. And I bet most of them think "drugs is evil"

grrr. whatever.

--Steve

wink.gif
oh yeah, rush. Used to be able to buy a little vial of that stuff for about $5 at the headshops. Perfectly legal when I was in HS - I tried it once at a party and got a mother of a headache. Never again. AFAIK, they made the stuff illegal in the mid 80's. Probably a good thing.

This plays to my point from before. Rush and all of the other inhalants  are pretty nasty stuff, but they are (or were) "legal" as opposed to marijuana. So is Alcohol. So are cigarettes.

The thing is the mixed message. I bet you can find kids wearing "D.A.R.E" or "Just Say No" t-shirts at weekend boonie-parties doing beer bombs and swilling JD. And I bet most of them think "drugs is evil"

grrr. whatever.

--Steve
I tried it in '87 or '88 and it was illegal then, or at least I thought it was
rock.gif
...never knew it was legal at all...

Yeah, I agree...mixed messages all over for kids...it's hard to tell them to not do one thing, then they see you drinking beer...

I'm not looking forward to going through anything with my kids...kids will try anything nowadays, but hell, I wasn't much better when I was younger either...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121395715 -->

wink.gif

This plays to my point from before. Rush and all of the other inhalants are pretty nasty stuff, but they are (or were) "legal" as opposed to marijuana. So is Alcohol. So are cigarettes.

grrr. whatever.

--Steve
I tried it in '87 or '88 and it was illegal then, or at least I thought it was
rock.gif
...never knew it was legal at all...

Yeah, I agree...mixed messages all over for kids...it's hard to tell them to not do one thing, then they see you drinking beer...

I'm not looking forward to going through anything with my kids...kids will try anything nowadays, but hell, I wasn't much better when I was younger either...
the difference nowadays is: you didn't get sent to federal prison for trying drugs back in the day. Or not telling the cops that Jimmy Nextdoor is selling glad bags of the really bad pot he grew in his closet.

But you can still sniff paint/glue/"Dust Off" as much as you want, and possibly die. Personally, if forced to make a choice, I'd probably go for the reefer. But then I wasn't indoctrinated by Nancy Regan...

That's a big difference.

And another thing - what's up with Rush Limbaugh? Why isn't he in jail?

Grr. Gotta quit this now. Sorry for hijacking the thread...

It's just that the whole "zero tolerance/no drugs" and "virginity pledge" crap that's being pumped into kids' heads over there these days pisses me off to no end. It all seems to come down to a catchy slogan on national television and a metric sh!tload of kids in prison/pregnant/getting STDs seems to be considered to be at least as good as good parenting, and a viable substitute to boot...

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121396943 -->

Back