Sometimes the HOA is just stupid... and then others they are WRONG

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I cannot believe this is even happening. I know the Patriot Guard is for protecting the fallen members of our military but perhaps they should take a spin up to this former military member's house and stand guard around the symbol of our freedom that this HOA is trying to have removed

I like what HOAs in general can do, but honestly some of them can just go beyond anything smart or common sense. :banghead:

U.S. Veteran Faces Legal Action for Flying American Flag - FoxNews.com

Reading it, I don't think it is an issue about the flag. Rather the pole it is on.

Read that story earlier and it made me chalk up another reason why I moved out into the country. Also, I would tell them to stick up as well and to come and try to take my flag down. Too much PC crap going on already, NBC edited "God" out of The Pledge of Allegiance during the U.S. Open. This kind of crap makes me sick to my stomach and makes me want to show the people that make these sort of decisions just how good we have it here.

So either he didn't read the HOA's rules going in or did and put up his pole anyway. It has nothing to do with the Flag, it's about the pole. Attach the pole to the house problem solved, unless there is some sort of height restriction in the HOA's. They are not trying to stop him from displaying the Flag.

The hoa's piss me off to no end, if I own my property and the house on it nobody should be able to tell what to do, they are not paying my mortgage or bills so $%&# off for real, just stupid people on a power trip trying to act like they have some stroke, I could understand if I had a bunch of junk cars piled up in my yard and trash bags broken open laying everywhere with dirty diapers piling up on my porch, something that is a eyesore, but a american flag being flown by a Vietnam vet, I dont care if its flying on a bamboo pole

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Don't even get me started on HOAs Zuk! My mother lives in a community with one.
She has been forced to pay to reside her home and only paid what the hoa said and to whom. She was not allowed to have it done exactly the same as they required by a lessor expensive company. It was a total racket. She also was forced to remove her wooden fence around patio and again pay to have it replaced with a cheap Chinese plastic fence which again came from one hoa chosen company and again she was not allowed to have it done by another company who found have done it for less. The president of her Hoa is a retired school teacher yet has a home in the bahamas with a 40ft sportfishing boat there. He is as crooked as can be and yet nobody does anything about it. It is sad.

If I were Mr Quigley I'd have a company there first thing monday morning. Then when the hoa president was watching and as he thought the co was there to remove the pole I'd have them erect a fifty foot pole with a 10x20ft flag on it! After saluting the flag I'd look over at the president and :moon: his azz.

Guarantee all the punk ass fools in the hoa's all a bunch off young punks that were not even alive during the Vietnam conflict

The hoa's piss me off to no end, if I own my property and the house on it nobody should be able to tell what to do, they are not paying my mortgage or bills so $%&# off for real, just stupid people on a power trip trying to act like they have some stroke, I could understand if I had a bunch of junk cars piled up in my yard and trash bags broken open laying everywhere with dirty diapers piling up on my porch, something that is a eyesore, but a american flag being flown by a Vietnam vet, I dont care if its flying on a bamboo pole

If you don't have an HOA, your neighbors could do that. It's just that some folks would and they do. I also think the issue is with the pole itself, probably not the flag. It could also be an issue with a flag, not specifically a U.S. flag, but just a flag. What if other neighbors were displaying flags of another country? What are the HOA by-laws, anyone know? Not much information in the article to reach a clear conclusion.....well not for me anyway!!

I think I would take them up on their offer to fly it at the entrance until the issue was resolved. I can only ASSUME there are restrictions against poles or other non-approved items being placed in yards.....

After reading the linked article within the original link, it states that free standing poles are not allowed but attached flags are. Attach the pole to the house as allowed and fly the flag.......

After reading the linked article within the original link, it states that free standing poles are not allowed but attached flags are. Attach the pole to the house as allowed and fly the flag.......

Yeah. If he simply moved the pole real close to the house and then 'attached' it to the house with a clamp or something they couldnt do anything to him.

Yeah. If he simply moved the pole real close to the house and then 'attached' it to the house with a clamp or something they couldnt do anything to him.

Probably would work. In looking at his house, I'd mount the original pole on the exterior wall, at an angle above the drive.....bam! Done deal!!

I agree Poppy, seems the guy overstepped things with a free standing pole .... however he's not flying another national flag nor some kinda disrespectful flag. I think the HOA might have picked the wrong fight with the wrong guy. Legally they might be right but from a social side, eh I think its going to backfire on them. They did make what seems like a decent counter to removing his pole but I think its just the principle of it all that irks me. Also missing from the article is how long the pole has been in place.

The sad part is now this veteran will likely have to change how he flies his flag. There is a good amount of tradition and protocol associated with the pole the flag flies on, it seems this veteran will no longer be able to enjoy that side of his flag.

The flag actually looks like a very nice fit and appearance in front of his house. Sad that I had to click through to a UK site to get the full article instead of Fox News having it :banghead:

I agree perhaps an exception could be considered but then the whack -jobs will come out of the woodwork expecting their special request to be approved because so&so's was. Here in Florida, the condo commandos are horrendous for enforcement, only because so many people push the envelope, knowing they are wrong. Everything from bigger than allowed dogs, Christmas/menorah displays, door colors, even vehicles allowed. Some places don't allow trucks or commercial vehicles.

Oh, and the original pole looks like a nice one.....

When my father retired from the USAF, he erected a flag pole and flew the American flag everyday. He would go out at sunrise and raise it, then lower it before sun down. He enjoyed the sense of belonging and was proud to maintain the military heritage of flying a flag.

I think this soldier is doing the same thing and I support him 100%. I understand that he could simply install an angle pole on the side of his home, that is not the point. Some times a law/rule is just wrong and should not be there. If some one wants to put up a flag pole and fly the American fly, by god let them do it. I am proud of who we are and what we stand for, simple as that.

As I mentioned earlier, I moved to the country where I have my own land. I did help my brother put up a 30 foot flag pole where he can fly the American flag.

You have agreed to their restrictions when you purchased your property in their community. Why would you be upset that the rules are being enforced? You know what they are going in and are paying for their enforcement through your Association dues every month. If you can't live with the rules why would you even consider buying and living there?

HOA rules can be very restrictive. No M/C's, can't park in the driveway or on the street over night, can't leave the garage door open more than 30 mins, can't repair your vehicles except in the garage with the door closed, can't paint your house with out HOA approval of the color, can't do any unapproved landscaping, any and all signs need approval,..........There's no end, some of the regulations can be inches thick. Common sense would dictate reading them before starting escrow.

I live in an HOA and let me tell you, like Blanca said, crooked most of them. They will let their "buddies" do things that other home owners can't... absurd....my HOA forbade 6ft tall fences yet it looked to me like a few were that tall...so I went around and measured these suspect fences and wouldnt ya know it 4 of them were 6ft in height INCLUDING the HOA president. They got around it becuase the top foot was latticed? Hmmmm...then I put a request for a White Vinyl fence I wanted to do myself, they tried to force me to use a contractor and thats where i drew the line...no thanks Im doing it with some certified contractor friends...oh but you cant do vinyl was the story then but the HOA president brother has a vinyl fence...

3 weeks later my 4 friends and I erected a 6ft tall Vinyl Privacy fence on my property...and no one said a peep...the HOA Pres complained to the architectural commitee but they told him "hey if you're brother can do it so can he" since then I have had about 20 HOA members come see my fence, told me they loved it, I told them the story and 12 of them have erected their own...

A year later I erected a 10X20 shed...max size per HOA guidelines? 5X6:laugh::laugh:

I told the architectural committee chairman the HOA can come and take down either one of my structures...but theyre gonna have to get past Oz...and I really don't think they wanna mess w him..

So MY HOA can:moon::laugh:

Back