Something's very wrong with the system

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
A friend directed me to this on another board...

Maryland woman escapes vehicular homicide charge in death of motorcyclist

May 6 – A Maryland woman who drove her car into the back of a motorcycle, killing the rider, avoided a vehicular homicide charge by quickly paying a fine for the lesser offense of negligent driving.

Since the woman, in essence, pleaded guilty to negligent driving by paying the fine, she couldn't be charged with vehicular homicide in that same case. To do so would violate constitutional protections against double jeopardy, which involve trying a person twice for the same offense.

The woman, Susan Elizabeth Williams, 35, of Ellicott City, rear-ended Dennis Jerry Sullivan, 42, at a stoplight in September. Williams was arrested for driving while intoxicated and was ticketed for negligent driving, which carried a $275 fine.

Sullivan didn't appear seriously injured at the time but died from his injuries a few days later. Seven weeks after the crash, prosecutors filed the paperwork to drop the negligent driving charge and charge Williams with vehicular homicide, but Williams had already paid the negligent driving fine. The vehicular homicide charge was thrown out by a judge on April 1 because negligent driving is considered a lesser form of vehicular homicide.

Williams would have faced up to five years in jail under a vehicular homicide charge.

On May 3, Williams pleaded not guilty to driving under the influence and waived her right to a trial. But Williams' blood-alcohol content had been measured at 0.29 percent, or more than three times the legal limit in Maryland to be considered drunk. A judge found her guilty. She faces up to a year in jail when sentenced on July 7.

As a result of this case, Ellicott City police officers no longer issue tickets for negligent driving in suspected drunk driving cases when someone is hurt until the case is reviewed by the police department traffic division.

That is just plain nuts I say NUTS...
AAAssjani.gif

pathetic, all I can say is watch your buttocks ladies and gentlemen.  No neutrals at the stop light until I have 2 car cusion behind me & even then a car can be pushed into your lane (what happened 3 years ago during Harley week in Myrtle)  This time 3 died and the lady guilty was prosecuted.  Good for her since she was on her cell phone at the time.

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083942739 -->

Same thing when going through intersections, I've gotten good at slowing and looking both ways. Doesn't matter who is at fault to me, only matters that I walk away from the incident (if there is one as I've avoided several by paying attention).

The
drinka.gif
biatch should be put in jail for life. She must have a good legal advisor.

On the otherhand, if I were the family of the motorcyclist, I would make her pay $$$$$. Civil suite on the way of it were me. It wouldn't heal the grief, but it would be more satisfaction than watching her get away with it.

Jay

That sucks....................there seems to be too many loopholes in the system.............usually the lawyers are the only ones who know about them!!!!! Sounds like she just got lucky to fall into one!!! I was out a few days ago and had to slow for a guy turning left in front of me..............heard the brakes lock up behind me...........kind of spooked me!!! I'm takin' BigDawgs advice ............................
watch that rearview mirror................................... View attachment 473607

Thanks for the story VaBusa!!!!
super.gif

In PA you can't be charged with vehicular homicide unless you do have a traffic violation stating negligent driving, so i dont understand that one

She shouldnt have had a license after the may 3rd,they should have suspended it on the spot

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084025836 -->

How rediculous. A father here who killed his one month old girl while driving drunk and at high speed just got 2 years. Mom was also drunk in the car and had the baby in her lap. Car hits a pole, turns into fireball, and baby turns into a human pinball. She was not charged with anything, or even issued a ticket. I was the EMT who treated the little girl on scene but she couldn't be saved. It seems like sometimes human life looses its value while trapped in the legal system.
mad.gif

Yeah there are gray areas in the law and if you have enough money there is someone that can find them for you...It's sad but true...And the family should pursue civil action against her...
evil.gif

It hurts to hear this....After i read Smiley4U's incident..God how horrible...
Check those mirrors...We must alway's consider ourselves "invisable" and ride
accordingly.....serious matter....sad but true but enjoy riding...just be on the defensive all the time..wish i could teach my best friend to be more like this...
sad.gif

Please don't anyone take offense, but O.J. Simpson was charged with wrongful death after his trial by a jury that set him free. Is this right! Hell fuggin NO!! Pisses me off to the highest of Pisstivity!
mad.gif

Brian

Back