Something weird happened

busa_boy_69

Registered
Well tonight at about 6:30 I decided to get my baby out and scrub in the brand new pilot powers that are on here. Everything was going fine and I was having a nice relaxing ride.....until. I was going about 65mpg in medium traffic and I felt something weird in the throttle. I am very steady wristed on the throttle so I know it did not move but the bike acted as if for a quick instant the throttle was rolling out but I hadn't moved it. At first I thought maybe I was just feeling a road bump or something and that it hadn't actually sputtered on me so I kept riding. Well as I increased the throttle to gain speed it did it again. I was getting worried at this point so I scanned the gauges and nothing. No FI light, no abnormal temp, nothing but normal. I was beggining to get really confused I was about to cut my ride short and I thought no ride it and see what it continues to do. It isn't doing anything MAJOR so check it out. Well I only got the sputtering sensation about 5 or 6 times in a couple minutes of time MAX. Then it never happened again. I rode another 50 miles after that and nothing. It began to purrrr just like normal. I even then tried a couple of mild high speed launches to see if it would do it under hard acceleration and NOTHING. Okay now heres what I am wondering.....

I put a full exhaust on the bike this winter. I have rode it prolly 300 miles with the map thats in the power commander and noticed nothing odd. The only thing was that it seem to make my idle a little bit high. In the 1450 range. So the other day I adjusted it down. Also at the beggining of this season I began using 89 octane fuel due to some posts in here of people saying these bikes ran better on lower octane. I also know that the plugs are due on my next service. So what I am wondering from you guys is this.....

1.) Has anyone ever experienced anything like this and if so what was your issue?
2.) Do you think its possible all of the sudden the PC might not be agreeing with the bike due to the new exhaust and the jump in the idle speed I got?
3.) If I had a fouled out plug could that possibly cause that?
4.) Do you think my bike just may not be agreeing with the 89 octane? Its only ran about 3 to 4 tanks of it but so far it was doing okay.

If anyone can maybe take a stab at this I would appreciate it.

Just to be on the safe side on my way home I ran the tank out of fuel and put a FULL tank of 94 octane back in it to see if maybe that would clean it out.

Thanks for the help guys.

BB69

How many miles are you at now? I am thinking throttle body syncing, but I don't know. But for clarification, does it feel like rolling off the throttle or more like a flat spot with no acceleration, then it picks back up?

How many miles are you at now?  I am thinking throttle body syncing, but I don't know.  But for clarification, does it feel like rolling off the throttle or more like a flat spot with no acceleration, then it picks back up?
A flat spot would be a good way to describe it. Really you can hear the engine rpms drop for a SPLIT second then go right back to where they were. It picks right back up. The bike now has 17,000 miles. The throttle body has never been synced before. You think that could be the issue?

To be honest, I am not sure - as I reread your post, you say that it only happened when you first started out... What did you adjust the idle to? Also when you did your system, did you do a custom map or one from the PC?

To be honest, I am not sure - as I reread your post, you say that it only happened when you first started out... What did you adjust the idle to?  Also when you did your system, did you do a custom map or one from the PC?
I set the idle to 1250 and the whole ride yesterday it stayed right at that. I am just really confused. It was like the bike hesitated for a brief second then went right back to normal. I mean I could feel the whole bike shudder when it happened. No lights, nothing out of the normal, it just shuddered for a BRIEF second about 5 or 6 times then ran like a champ the rest of the ride home. I was just wondering if I had some dirty fuel or something. Then I started thinking maybe it does need to be synced since its never been done. Then I started thinking a plug wasn't firing right. I dunno I started thinking a lot of things. lol

The bike now has 17,000 miles. The throttle body has never been synced before. You think that could be the issue?
I find mine doesn't run well cold if the TBs aren't synced every 7,500-8000 miles.
Well see thats what gets me. My bike has never ran even remotely rough and yesterday it wasn't cold. I had it at highway speeds about 20 minutes before it even did that and it didn't last. It did it a few times then never did it again.

To be honest, I am not sure - as I reread your post, you say that it only happened when you first started out... What did you adjust the idle to?  Also when you did your system, did you do a custom map or one from the PC?
Sorry I forgot to answer your other question. I used a map from PC's website. But it has 300 miles of ride time on it already and seemed fine. If it was a problem with the map I would assume I would have felt it before now.

Sounds like it may be some water in the tank. Try getting gas at a different location. If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it.

just a note on the fuel, the lower the octane the faster and hotter it burns, so running 89 is better for power as long as it does not run hot or detonate. The higher the altitude you are at the lower the octane you can run.

Update for you guys who offered up help.......
I am seriously guessing I just got some bad or watered down fuel. I went home yesterday and took the bike out on about another 120 mile ride or so and the WHOLE ride she purrrred like a kitten. Not one symptom of what I had the other day. I don't know if it is because I put 94 octance back in it or if the 89 I got a few days ago was just sour but it definitely seems like it was a fuel issue.

The service manual calls for plug change at 7500 mi. Sounds like you had a fuel issue but it would be good to go ahead and change the plugs if you have not done so before. Wear on the plug and increased gap can cause problems with the coils.

The service manual calls for plug change at 7500 mi. Sounds like you had a fuel issue but it would be good to go ahead and change the plugs if you have not done so before. Wear on the plug and increased gap can cause problems with the coils.
The plugs have been changed one already at 7800 miles but they are do again. I don't think its the plugs though cuz I put 300 miles on the bike since and it hasn't done it since.

hmm...

I'm gonna side with NJ and davsbusa...prolly somethin bad with the fuel. Although with that many miles, there's a number of things that need to be done.

Fuel filter inspection & replacement
Fuel line inspection & replacement
clutch & brake hose replacement
tappet clearance inspection & adjustment
throttle body synchronization
plug replacement
sprocket replacement
chain replacement

I know I'm missing something else, but that's just a short list of things to do.

easy things first...

1. Airfilter
2. Plugs
3. Disconnect The Battery For 30 Minutes to let the ECU reset and while you're waiting dump/reload the map in your PC
4. Check For Weak Battery/Spark
5. Fuel Pump/Filter

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back