something to consider when installing HIDs

RACER_X

Registered
DDMtuning claims their 35w HIDS only draw 6 amps on start up, and initially i believed them.

friend of mine, who's elec. engineer/biker/elec. tinkerer tested that claim.

he tested the DDM 35w setup

I have the same model as you and just proved that this is a lie. I need a better meter to find out what the max is, I blew the fuse in my ammeter because it can only tolerate a 10A max trying to fire the ballast, which never fired.

i know use the clutch to start the bike while holding down the start button.

i also plan to get a harness that powers the bike directly off the battery, and even then i have delay timer relay i plan to put in also.

and yes it has drawn so much that it reset my clock on my bike.

I am not sure how much the ballast pulls from the system on initial start up, but I too had issues with my clock resetting. You can do two things: 1st, install a switch on the low voltage side so you can toggle the HID on after you start the bike. 2nd, install a relay with time delay to automatically come on after you start the bike. Either option will eliminate your concern.

These units are specifically designed for cars and SUVs. The difference might be in the battery / vehicle. The lower the voltage drops the higher the amperage will be. Just a thought. Hook them up to your car or truck and see what the in rush current is.......

i bought my hid kit from ebay 59.99 with the slim ballast (supposedly made for bikes) but i can honestly say after almost 10 months with them i got no problems at all. i keep coming by these threads about problems with hid's and people paying so much for them and installing relays its rediculous i dont have any type of relay in my 07 and never had a problem on start up or anything with my bike or any of the 6 cars ive put hid's on and i been buying my them from ebay for years (same seller) and ive seen his price go from $450 to $60 and never had a problem

i bought my hid kit from ebay 59.99 with the slim ballast (supposedly made for bikes) but i can honestly say after almost 10 months with them i got no problems at all. i keep coming by these threads about problems with hid's and people paying so much for them and installing relays its rediculous i dont have any type of relay in my 07 and never had a problem on start up or anything with my bike or any of the 6 cars ive put hid's on and i been buying my them from ebay for years (same seller) and ive seen his price go from $450 to $60 and never had a problem

'05 and newer shouldn't have an issue on startup. That's because Suzuki put a relay inline with the starter/headlight circuit. When you hit the starter button, the headlight goes off.

'04 and older don't have this relay, so when starting, there is more drain on the battery... Also, on these model years, some HID's will turn off when starting the Busa and will not turn back on (unless power is removed and reapplied). The latter is the case with mine ('04 w/ HID). I have installed a delay timer AND a switch... Since installing the timer, I rarely have a problem. And if I do, just flip the switch and I can turn them off/on again.

'05 and newer shouldn't have an issue on startup. That's because Suzuki put a relay inline with the starter/headlight circuit. When you hit the starter button, the headlight goes off.

'04 and older don't have this relay, so when starting, there is more drain on the battery... Also, on these model years, some HID's will turn off when starting the Busa and will not turn back on (unless power is removed and reapplied). The latter is the case with mine ('04 w/ HID). I have installed a delay timer AND a switch... Since installing the timer, I rarely have a problem. And if I do, just flip the switch and I can turn them off/on again.

if this is the case then the obvious solution to everyones problem is to simple buy and instal the relay from the 05-up model into the earlier models that are having these problems.???

some really good info thanks :beerchug:

Good stuff indeed! I have to ryde down dark country roads with lots of deer at night! So i'am strongly concidering putting a set on over the winter.:thumbsup:

i have an '08 and yes the lights turn off for a sec. while you hit the starter button, but as soon as you let off the button all 10a+ hit the battery and yes the bike will start, but after enough times it'll kill the battery sooner then it should. as i and another has expereienced, it has hit so hard it reset our clocks.

On the Gen 2's there is not a problem!

The lights shut off during your crank cycle, therefore there is no need for the additional wiring or the delay!
Only the older Busa's had a problem!
I've installed over a hundred kits, and at least a dozen gen 2's with no problem!

I have never had a problem with my HID on my 2005 Hayabusa.

When i start the bike the like goes off then comes back on after startup (this was with my old non-Hid bulb.

I use a delay and have never had a problem. You can usually get it from the Best Buy install guys for about $20.

I am having this problem again on a 2003.

Can someone who's done it explain. Where do you connect the on/off and where do you get a switch.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, here's my experience with "Easy Plug & Play" HIDs for my Busa:

1st time: Bought eBay low beam only HID kit for $80.00. After a month, the bulb wouldn't light up on intial startup sometimes, would take maybe two tries. Then another month later just didn't work at all.

2nd time: Bought HID low beam only HID kit from a website for $75.00. It immediately messed up all my gauges including speedo. Nothing worked. I then ran a relay and directly wired it to the battery. My Gauges and HID worked, but then my battery didn't hold a charge even w/ the battery tender on it all night, I'd have to pop start it. Threw in a new battery, started up great everytime and HID lit up like a champ but then guess what... after one week, the HID Bulb wouldn't come on.

F this HID crap!

Last edited:
Hi all, I just bought a set of HID lights for my 06 and noticed they sent me an H7 and 9004. I read that the bike takes a 9005 for the high beam. My question is, can I install the 9004 or should I return it for the 9005? Any help would be appreciated?

Back