something not working??

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
I am changing the clutch fluid and I have clean fluid now coming out of the bleedoff valve. Now I cant build pressure again. I have been squeezing this stupid clutch lever now for 20 mins. Am I being impatient or is there a possible problem?

get a small piece of vacuum tube (air tube from an aquarium store works great, transparent lets you see fluid move)

Attach it to the bleeder

Remove top off master cylinder

Open Bleeder a full turn and put hose end in cup

Keep master full

Gravity should bleed the system just fine.. you "might" have to give it a half squeeze to get it going

after 2 or 3 ounces of fluid have run, close the bleeder, top off master and slowly squeeze the lever a couple 3 times.. should be good to go..

If not, open bleeder again and run another couple ounces of fluid (watch for bubbles)

If nothing after that, report back Phase 2 will start
smile.gif

there is a air pocket somewhere in your line.
Just like Bogus said let it gravity bleed down.
Or use a vaccum bleeder. Thats what i did, but then even after using the bleeder i still did the old faithfull, pump, hold and bleed method just to make sure.

ok. I did like you said and i dont have 2 or 3 oz run out. It will bleed just for a second and then stop. I close the valve and nothing. I am not seeing any bubbles in the fluid too.

Just keep pumping the chit out of it with the bleeder closed and full res. It will finally get stiff on ya. Then bleed at the slave.

On my last bike the only way i could ever get all the air pockets out of the clutch was to use a vacuum...handy tool to have if your bleeding anything by yourself anyway. you can pick them up pretty cheep at harbor freight

Just a shot in the dark here: Are you holding the clutch lever in while you tighten the bleeder valve? If you are not, you are sucking air back into the system.

How are you bleeding? From the slave cylinder to the master cylinder, or are you bleeding from the master to slave?

No matter what, it sounds like you have air in the line. If you don't tighten the bleeder tightly enough, you'll suck air past the tapered seat. I would strongly urge you to use a flare nut wrench, if you are not already using one.

Just a shot in the dark here: Are you holding the clutch lever in while you tighten the bleeder valve? If you are not, you are sucking air back into the system.

How are you bleeding? From the slave cylinder to the master cylinder, or are you bleeding from the master to slave?

No matter what, it sounds like you have air in the line. If you don't tighten the bleeder tightly enough, you'll suck air past the tapered seat. I would strongly urge you to use a flare nut wrench, if you are not already using one.
I was about to post that same thing. Good call.

ok.  I did like you said and i dont have 2 or 3 oz run out.  It will bleed just for a second and then stop.  I close the valve and nothing.  I am not seeing any bubbles in the fluid too.
Doin the gravity bleed will take about 10-20 min. You'll just have to watch it. It will work, you just need to give it time before you tighten the screw back up. Just do like mr bogus said. Open the line, and just make sure you keep the master full. But as I said, you'll need patience with this method as it will take 10-20 min. to complete. The reason it stopped flowing on you is because it got to one of the air pockets in your system and was letting the air out. Once it got past that air pocket you would have seen more fluid. Just wait for it to be a steady stream of BUBBLE FREE fluid and you'll be ready to go. I know it's frustrating, but try to calm down a little. I know every time I start to get frustrated and agrivated I try to rush things along and more times than not I wind up breaking something. Just be patient with it. You'll figure it out.

still no pressure. I even tried to cyphen out the air. nothing. i have been here with the clutch pulled in and the bleedoff open now for twenty minutes. i dont know. i'm stumped!!

:hello:Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... the sweet feeling of success!!!
clap.gif
Damn that took forever. I obviously did something wrong at the very beginning to get a bunch of air in the line. Mucho gracias to all the help and advice that everybody gave. Sorry got to deal with a mechanical yo-yo
pillepalle.gif
at times
laugh.gif
I do have pressure now and I'm gonna go ahead and button her up.
woot.gif
woot.gif

woot.gif

:hello:Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... the sweet feeling of success!!!
clap.gif
 Damn that took forever.  I obviously did something wrong at the very beginning to get a bunch of air in the line.  Mucho gracias to all the help and advice that everybody gave.  Sorry got to deal with a mechanical yo-yo  
pillepalle.gif
at times
laugh.gif
 I do have pressure now and I'm gonna go ahead and button her up.
woot.gif

woot.gif
Glad to hear ya got it together and working again.

Personally I think it's that Utah air getting to you.
sadnews.gif

woot.gif

Back